Battery only cars

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster

Kiwi
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Battery only cars

Post by Kiwi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:44 am

With no power for possibly weeks in Florida. I bet all those who brought electric only cars are kicking themselves now.
You need to have a petrol engine as well in any plugin car.
2016 BMW 225xe M Sport Mineral White
2015 BMW 220i M Sport Convertible Black Sapphire

dorsetred
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Battery only cars

Post by dorsetred » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi Kiwi long time no speak!

Have to say I agree with your train of thought having tried an i3 when home and didn't understand about the Range Extender but obviously now fully appreciate the knowledge despite the relatively small fuel tank and engine size at least you know you can travel albeit only a relatively short distance it would beneficial as opposed to the basic i3 or other similar models.

I'm now considering the i3S but in reality it's all down to cost as it's basic price is over £36K without any add-ons and irrespective of problems in UK regarding our 218d I'm not unduly concerned as it's to the latest specification of Euro 6 and I've no doubt whatsoever that someone will produce an add-on to reduce the emissions even further if not then we'll just run it as and when necessary especially with retiring in December 2018. If we do decide to change there's no doubt we'll take a hit on either trading in or selling privately however can't do much about that scenario so it's always a case of bite the bullet.

dorsetred 8)
[/color]Mercedes-AMG GLA 45
Previous - BMW 218d M Sport Active Tourer, BMW 118d, Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, Honda HRV

Kiwi
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Kiwi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi there, yes it has been awhile.
You would remember my experience with the I3 and how poor it drove as a drivers car. Wait until the i3 sport arrives this may be a better drivers experience. At least your can carry spare petrol in an i3.
My 225xe has covered 17,000ks and 11,600ks of this was battery power which leaves the cost of petrol not much at all. I would still factor in the 225xe as your future car as the car has the performance of a 225i X1 but its cheaper to buy and run.
It's not just storms and earthquakes which can take out a power grids. The sun can take the power grid out as well which it almost did in New York State early 2016 or 2015 but luckily the solar attack missed earth.
I'm not sure what I would buy in retirement but we have just purchased a couple of battery bikes. My wife is due to have a new knee installed soon and she rode 20ks the other day with no problems. I carry the bikes using our convertible which fun with the top down as we drive to out of town bike rides.

dorsetred
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dorsetred » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:03 am

I totally agree with waiting to see the i3S information combined with the total loaded price against that of the 225xe although strangely enough we found the i3 a little different from your thoughts but I'm wandering if that was due to the differing road conditions. Where I live in Dorset UK in general is probably ideal in that the county isn't too hilly and mainly blacktop as it's highly unlikely we'd ever consider going onto a dirt track let alone anything else.

The main concern over the past few weeks and months is the ever increasing apparent hatred of anything diesel and despite our 218d being Euro 6 and therefore fully compliant with all current legislation it's apparent sale prices are and will no doubt continue to drop, this obviously has a major contribution in the event of deciding to buy a new car. Further to that factor in the vehicle is still literally as new with just over 10K miles from now and almost three years old, second service and MOT will be required by the end of November and the only thing which may be required is a couple of tyres. Certainly keeping the car would be the sensible option as it's only likely to cost a couple of grand over the next few years as is generally the case for us except when retired of course because the mileage would decrease considerably which does make the i3S REX a good reason to change before the prices collapse any further.

I did fall in love with the MB GLA Class GLA 45 [381] 4Matic 5dr Auto but at almost 70 come December I'll be hit with an insurance excess which would probably make me choke, if only I were 20 years younger! :lol:

dorsetred 8)
Previous - BMW 218d M Sport Active Tourer, BMW 118d, Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, Honda HRV

Kiwi
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Kiwi » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:44 am

The only government costs we have is yearly $100 licence fee for my 225xe and a $35 warrant of fitness inspection after 3 years from new. Insurance isn't compulsory.
Mercedes has not had great media for service and reliability.
I found the i3 steering not great which it shows up in tight areas. It's standard front seat back support was not great. Lights are terrible country driving. I will take the i3 sport for a drive as BMW hopefully fixed all my complaints.
You will need to install a charging station at your home for the i3 as it's takes 16 hours to charge with 240 vault.
From today onwards we are able to drive only plugin EV's (any size battery/petrol engine) in carpool lanes with just the driver which is great for me.
BMW 1,2,3 series cars only have petrol engines including Active Tourer.

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Don't petrol pumps require power?
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

Kiwi
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Kiwi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:44 am

Hand pump in a 44 gallon drum of petrol works well. A haven't notice a truck load of 44 gallon drums of power.
America should have there power grid under ground by now.

dorsetred
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dorsetred » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:47 am

Kiwi wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:44 am
The only government costs we have is yearly $100 licence fee for my 225xe and a $35 warrant of fitness inspection after 3 years from new. Insurance isn't compulsory.
Mercedes has not had great media for service and reliability.
I found the i3 steering not great which it shows up in tight areas. It's standard front seat back support was not great. Lights are terrible country driving. I will take the i3 sport for a drive as BMW hopefully fixed all my complaints.
You will need to install a charging station at your home for the i3 as it's takes 16 hours to charge with 240 vault.
From today onwards we are able to drive only plugin EV's (any size battery/petrol engine) in carpool lanes with just the driver which is great for me.
BMW 1,2,3 series cars only have petrol engines including Active Tourer.
Government costs are possibly quite similar although our 218d is just £30 pa whilst the MOT is inclusive within the five year service plan we bought with the car so nothing really. Re A45 whilst tempting that would realistically be a crazy idea even for me!

I understand your thoughts regarding the i3 because currently we've got M-Sport full electric seats whereas the i3 seats did leave a lot to be desired in the way of comfort and that's definitely one of the main things I'd be looking at with the Sport version, following gives a clue: - Refreshing styling accents, cutting-edge equipment features and new digital services available for the BMW i3. • New BMW i3s with additional chassis technology, improved driving dynamics and model-specific exterior design features. • New standard equipment including BMW LED headlights and BMW Professional navigation system as stated https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/united-k ... i3-and-i3s.

Priced up the charging station which is cheap enough and worthwhile as opposed to the ever increasing cost of electricity in UK, currently all model variants are still available as well including diesel.

dorsetred 8)

Kiwi
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Kiwi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:13 am

When will the i3s arrive in England as I'll be very interested or your views after your test drive dorsetred

rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by rob180bhp » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:20 am

Battey or hybrid cars are obviously the future and its started allready, within the next maybe 5 years they will be so common

Places like Asda / Tesco /cinemas car parks will all have 100s of charge points

One big problem i can see is the charge cable is £700 on average and can be unplugged and taken? So there will be 1000s stolen
Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

dorsetred
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dorsetred » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:54 am

Kiwi wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:13 am
When will the i3s arrive in England as I'll be very interested or your views after your test drive dorsetred
From the discussion I had after having the i3Rex back in July the impression I got was probably end of this year possibly January but as I'm not back until 21st December if nothing available before 13th January I won't be doing much at all. I did price up on the configurator and it's definitely more expensive than a fully loaded 225xe M-Sport but either way it's going to have to be a really good offer to persuade me to change from our current 218d.

Rob's also brought up a very valid point regarding possible theft of the charging cable although I've not checked the price of a replacement and have no doubt he's looked into it, have to be honest and admit something which hadn't even crossed my mind.

dorsetred 8)

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:00 pm

dorsetred wrote:
Kiwi wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:13 am
From the discussion I had after having the i3Rex back in July the impression I got was probably end of this year possibly January but as I'm not back until 21st December if nothing available before 13th January I won't be doing much at all. I did price up on the configurator and it's definitely more expensive than a fully loaded 225xe M-Sport but either way it's going to have to be a really good offer to persuade me to change from our current 218d.

Rob's also brought up a very valid point regarding possible theft of the charging cable although I've not checked the price of a replacement and have no doubt he's looked into it, have to be honest and admit something which hadn't even crossed my mind.

dorsetred 8)
I work for mitsubishi and on the phev outlander and the charge lead for them is approx £700 plus vat and it's quite a generic UK cable and will work on other makes and models

E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Kiwi wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:44 am
Hand pump in a 44 gallon drum of petrol works well.
Y'cn get six on a GMC pickup 8)
Kiwi wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:44 am
America should have there power grid under ground by now.
Not in FL; half the state is less than 10m asl. Its a swamp. High voltage lines in water, not a cheap option. Low voltage lines are OK, but not for long distance low loss transmission.

One big wave, from say an eruption from Cumbre Vieja on La Palma, and no more Disneyland. Dont think lectric cars will be a problem then. Spin off bonus, NYC is pretty low level, so it'll take out Trump Tower :lol:

(No malice intented to our US buddies - I have colleagues in Houston (a picnic compared to FL) - but acceptable collateral damage if we can sink the trumpet). Sorry, getting off topic.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Kiwi
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Kiwi » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:37 am

Your correct the whole place is a swamp but that doesn't go for 98% of America. What I've been told you get a lot less power drop by being underground with the lines.
Florida is off the world media, but it would be interesting to hear from Ev owners in the areas of Florida which were badly hit.

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:27 pm

rob180bhp wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:20 am
One big problem i can see is the charge cable is £700 on average and can be unplugged and taken? So there will be 1000s stolen
How much??? What's the current rating?

What's it made of, gold?

Sounds like they're designed to be stolen to bump up profit margins. Surely, they can be locked in place by a secondary "filler cap" which lock clamps around the socket where it plugs into the car.

....and then you need to consider the cost of replacement batteries.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”