BMW 225i x-drive Active tourer

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

pmk76

BMW 225i x-drive Active tourer

Post by pmk76 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:32 am

Hello all

I’ve been looking at one of these cars today, and although my wife and I like it, I’m struggling to find much info on this car. Is this because it was not a big seller?

Do any of you know of any issues with the engine or indeed the car in general that I should be aware of?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dorsetred
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: BMW 225i x-drive Active tourer

Post by dorsetred » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:46 am

Hi Paul

Initial thought being check a variety of differing websites such as https://www.germancarforum.com/f/bmw-2-series.99/, ignore the anti-brigade because they're not paying for the car and also have a look at the main BMW Technical Site, since changing in November I've removed quite a few of the sites which I previously used to visit unfortunately.

We ordered our 218d M Sport Active Tourer on the initial release date in September 2014 and changed on November 1st last year, during the three year period we had not one single fault with the car although we only covered 10,700 miles approximately so as you can understand the car was still virtually being run-in. If initially we'd bought petrol and an auto box there's no doubt in my mind we would not have sold the car, fuel consumption was ideal which was obvious being diesel, the only niggles I felt were the position of the "A" post means you soon learn to lean forward slightly at junctions, a few days and you won't think about it. Although we had the comfort package I always struggled to open the hatch waving my leg whereas my other half had no such problems, the boot floor has to be held up as there's no retaining method although this may have changed now.

As you're looking at the x-drive version obviously the car will be specified quite well, I'd consider Electric heated seats as they're worth the money, we specified the HK package but to be honest it was wasted as we only had the radio on in the background most of the time, it all comes down to your personal choice would be my advice.

I apologise if I've not fully answered your question but hopefully may help with your decision. 8)
[/color]Mercedes-AMG GLA 45
Previous - BMW 218d M Sport Active Tourer, BMW 118d, Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, Honda HRV

dorsetred
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dorsetred » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:04 am

Paul

I'd suggest you drop a pm to johnboyblue who's sold his diesel version but could probably give you some good advice. 8)
[/color]Mercedes-AMG GLA 45
Previous - BMW 218d M Sport Active Tourer, BMW 118d, Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, Honda HRV

Babaa
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Babaa » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi Paul,

Whilst I can't comment specifically on the 225i x-drive, we picked up a 220i MSport second hand just before Xmas and have been pretty happy with it since.

Is just about to run out of warranty but low miles (around 10k), and has been pretty good with fitting in family of 4 and dog crate in the boot (helps to be able to slide rear seats forward to make boot bigger), handling much better than I'd expected (more sort of hot hatch like than MPV), but then again with MSport suspension maybe for a family car it is a little too stiff for some.

Consumption isn't great but then it gets used for school runs of about 1 mile each direction, so whether we went for diesel or petrol it would never be great - on one longer run I think it showed around 38mpg with us all in with the dog, but I think it would go over 40mpg if driven more carefully on a run.

LED adaptive lights are great, so is the lazy boot opening function. Overall, as Paul mentions there wasn't loads of reviews and info about other than pricey / premium compared to others, but as a second hand purchase, it does absolutely everything we want. Maybe for when we head away on longer holidays we may have preferred the Grand Tourer, but to be honest I prefer the look & shape of the Active Tourer, it probably has better handling, and it was at least a few thousand cheaper than any equivalent Grand Tourer we could find with reasonable mileage.

One other satisfying aspect is the interior and build. Other than some fancy Mercs I've had for airport runs, for this size and cost of car, I don't think I've been in a nicer interior - that is until the kids get in and litter it all up :D

Cheers -- Babaa

pmk76

Post by pmk76 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:23 pm

dorsetred wrote:Hi Paul

Initial thought being check a variety of differing websites such as https://www.germancarforum.com/f/bmw-2-series.99/, ignore the anti-brigade because they're not paying for the car and also have a look at the main BMW Technical Site, since changing in November I've removed quite a few of the sites which I previously used to visit unfortunately.

We ordered our 218d M Sport Active Tourer on the initial release date in September 2014 and changed on November 1st last year, during the three year period we had not one single fault with the car although we only covered 10,700 miles approximately so as you can understand the car was still virtually being run-in. If initially we'd bought petrol and an auto box there's no doubt in my mind we would not have sold the car, fuel consumption was ideal which was obvious being diesel, the only niggles I felt were the position of the "A" post means you soon learn to lean forward slightly at junctions, a few days and you won't think about it. Although we had the comfort package I always struggled to open the hatch waving my leg whereas my other half had no such problems, the boot floor has to be held up as there's no retaining method although this may have changed now.

As you're looking at the x-drive version obviously the car will be specified quite well, I'd consider Electric heated seats as they're worth the money, we specified the HK package but to be honest it was wasted as we only had the radio on in the background most of the time, it all comes down to your personal choice would be my advice.

I apologise if I've not fully answered your question but hopefully may help with your decision. 8)
Thanks for the pointers. Yeah I had some initial concerns Re: the a-pillar blind spot.

Will see this week how things pan out.

pmk76

Post by pmk76 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:24 pm

Babaa wrote:Hi Paul,

Whilst I can't comment specifically on the 225i x-drive, we picked up a 220i MSport second hand just before Xmas and have been pretty happy with it since.

Is just about to run out of warranty but low miles (around 10k), and has been pretty good with fitting in family of 4 and dog crate in the boot (helps to be able to slide rear seats forward to make boot bigger), handling much better than I'd expected (more sort of hot hatch like than MPV), but then again with MSport suspension maybe for a family car it is a little too stiff for some.

Consumption isn't great but then it gets used for school runs of about 1 mile each direction, so whether we went for diesel or petrol it would never be great - on one longer run I think it showed around 38mpg with us all in with the dog, but I think it would go over 40mpg if driven more carefully on a run.

LED adaptive lights are great, so is the lazy boot opening function. Overall, as Paul mentions there wasn't loads of reviews and info about other than pricey / premium compared to others, but as a second hand purchase, it does absolutely everything we want. Maybe for when we head away on longer holidays we may have preferred the Grand Tourer, but to be honest I prefer the look & shape of the Active Tourer, it probably has better handling, and it was at least a few thousand cheaper than any equivalent Grand Tourer we could find with reasonable mileage.

One other satisfying aspect is the interior and build. Other than some fancy Mercs I've had for airport runs, for this size and cost of car, I don't think I've been in a nicer interior - that is until the kids get in and litter it all up :D

Cheers -- Babaa
Thanks for the info. Really useful.

Babaa
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Babaa » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:41 pm

No worries - also a good point about the a-pillar blind spot as I'd read about that too.

To be honest, there are the odd few times I notice it and think it is a little annoying, but it doesn't impede any driving or pulling out of junctions I've noticed. About as annoying I guess as having a phone mounted up near there to use as sat-nav - yes it is there, but not in the way that much and I guess over time you adjust to it.

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”