F46 Gran Tourer front speaker upgrade

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

r4edo

F46 Gran Tourer front speaker upgrade

Post by r4edo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:37 pm

I have just purchased a F46 Gran Tourer M sport 220d Xdrive Estoril Blue, it has the technology pack, sunroof, folding mirrors, heated seats, and overall I am really happy with it, the only issue I have found is that the standard sound is way below standard and I know that BMW offer either loudspeaker or Harmon Kardon, so my first job is to upgrade the door speakers, does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking of buying some secondhand harmon kardon as these should fit straight into the existing doors, any suggestions regarding a reliable place to take the car would be gratefully received too.

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: F46 Gran Tourer front speaker upgrade

Post by Sonic1506 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Put your postcode in here to find a reputable car audio dealer: http://theaudioboyz.com/dealer_locator/.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Kiwi
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Kiwi » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:44 am

I find it's the quality of music you play as poor recordings at low bit rate is not the best.
2016 BMW 225xe M Sport Mineral White
2015 BMW 220i M Sport Convertible Black Sapphire

r4edo

Post by r4edo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Thanks for the replies, I sourced two harmon kardon A pillar tweeters along with the four matching mid range speakers the results are an improvement over the standard issue, more depth to the sound, on seeing the speakers that are fitted as standard you can see why they deliver such a basic sound they look like cardboard Chinese manufactured low budget speakers- Overall very happy with the the car now.

lowbug

Post by lowbug » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:43 pm

Same issue here. We have a 218 luxury loads of options including the most "meh" sounding stereo ever made! Lol

The sound has no life to it, we have to crank the treble and bass almost to max to get it to anything like the 2005 touran it replaced. The underseat subs don't seem to work otherwise and frankly the front door tweeters might as well not be there.

So door tweeters seem to be the issue short term, might look at sloting in some Alpine tweeters on the black window panel by the first window triangle to give more life and lift the soundstage up in the cabin. Does anyone know what colours bmw use for door speaker wiring?

dorsetred
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dorsetred » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:33 am

Welcome to the forum, unfortunately I can't answer your question as we bought ours fitted with HK system but I'd send your query through to Wibbles as he's the likeliest person to be in a position to answer your query: - email enquiries@brdiagnostics.co.uk or PM on the forum, viewforum.php?f=95

dorsetred 8)
[/color]Current MY15 F45 218d M Sport Active Tourer
Previous - MY13 F22 118d Sports Plus, MY11 Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, MY09 Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, MY01 Honda HRV, too many more.

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”