Potential 240i purchase - some warranty questions...

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Mr Pies

Potential 240i purchase - some warranty questions...

Post by Mr Pies » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:11 am

Hello guys. After pondering (and posting) on here about buying a 135 coupe, I've come to the realisation I'll probably be better placed buying a used 240i instead.
I've got some questions about the warranty, particularly extending it.

1. Am I right in assuming that if I buy a used 240i from a non BMW approved used dealer I can continue the warranty when the manufacturers standard 3 year warranty ends?

2. If Q.1 is correct, do I have to make sure it's always been serviced by BMW or does that not matter?

3. Roughly how much per month is the warranty extension?

4. What optional extras would you say are essential to have on this car? I personally would be happy with heated seats and NAV but this is the first time I've bought a BMW so thought I'd ask your opinions.

XK140
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Potential 240i purchase - some warranty questions...

Post by XK140 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:30 am

I'll let someone else who is 100% sure answer your questions but what I will say is that a new 240i can be had discounted to around £27/£28k,so are you sure you want to buy used?

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Kerr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:03 am

The warranty will be in place no matter where you buy it from. The car does have to be serviced at any VAT registered garage to the correct service schedule to keep the warranty valid.

There won't be many M240i that have got near their first service yet.

There won't be that much difference in price between a new one and the used ones on Autotrader. You won't get a new one for £28k unless you select zero options.

I would recommend pro nav, HK sound, heated seats, Driver's pack. Most options are worthwhile, but will all add cost.

Autos are far more popular than manual cars.

Mr Pies

Post by Mr Pies » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Thank you for the replies chaps. Cheapest I've seen a a new one for was 30k with no options on Broadspeed. I definitely want an auto also. Where are these 28k ones for sale?

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Contact the forum sponsor TRL.

Looking at coast 2 coast they start at £28,661 for a zero added spec M240i.

tweeky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tweeky » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:48 pm

can this be moved to the F22 section and I don't think they do a 240 active tourer as yet.
Current F22 Melbourne Red 220D loaded with many extras.
Gone 2012 E82 Space Grey 118D Sports Plus standard spec.

Mr Pies

Post by Mr Pies » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:41 pm

tweeky wrote:can this be moved to the F22 section and I don't think they do a 240 active tourer as yet.
Apologies, wasn't meant to put this in this section!

Mr Pies

Post by Mr Pies » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Kerr wrote:

I would recommend pro nav, HK sound, heated seats, Driver's pack. Most options are worthwhile, but will all add cost.
Drivers pack? Can't see an option called that?

davidv111
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by davidv111 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:54 pm

Mr Pies wrote:
Kerr wrote:

Drivers pack? Can't see an option called that?
Driver comfort pack I think it's called - cruise and pdc
On Order: Snapper Rocks Blue 440i Auto; Dynamic & M Sport + packs, digital dash & more

Now: Estoril LCI M135i Manual

Previous: Thunder grey 2013 MINI JCW GP
Slate grey Porsche Cayman 2.7
Saphire black E82 120d M Sport

MEGAginge
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MEGAginge » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:52 am

Tony at TLR will likely be able to finance you a zero option 2 series for just under £28,000 OTR brand new.

However - beware that a brand new come will come with an increase in vehicle excise duty if delivered after April of £500 OTR, but that will be covered by the dealer most likely, but also £310 per year (leading to £450 per year road tax) for 5 years.

A lightly used one might be the better option, especially if you can knock 10%+ on whatever they are going for on autotrader.

The warranty is 3 years of the cars life so long as it has full service history, and that history does NOT have to be BMW. If you find a dealer funny about that, take it to a better dealer ...

Dave
ImageImageImage
Estoril Blue/Coral Red...
Auto, Adaptive Susp, Visibility, Sun Protection, Prof Nav, Cruise, Comfort packages. HK... Heated seats... Many :D smiles

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:57 am

MEGAginge wrote:Tony at TLR will likely be able to finance you a zero option 2 series for just under £28,000 OTR brand new.

However - beware that a brand new come will come with an increase in vehicle excise duty if delivered after April of £500 OTR, but that will be covered by the dealer most likely, but also £310 per year (leading to £450 per year road tax) for 5 years.

A lightly used one might be the better option, especially if you can knock 10%+ on whatever they are going for on autotrader.

The warranty is 3 years of the cars life so long as it has full service history, and that history does NOT have to be BMW. If you find a dealer funny about that, take it to a better dealer ...

Dave

The car has to be over £40,000 list price to face the additional £310 charge.

MEGAginge
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MEGAginge » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:13 am

Kerr wrote:
MEGAginge wrote:Tony at TLR will likely be able to finance you a zero option 2 series for just under £28,000 OTR brand new.

Dave

The car has to be over £40,000 list price to face the additional £310 charge.
Correct - I should have added the stipulation to 'be careful what options you add'. Apologies.

It is remarkably easy to end up over 40k. Metallic paint and the auto box almost does it by itself..

For me, I couldn't live with the spec 40k got me! Luckily, I was able to secure a March slot ...

Dave
ImageImageImage
Estoril Blue/Coral Red...
Auto, Adaptive Susp, Visibility, Sun Protection, Prof Nav, Cruise, Comfort packages. HK... Heated seats... Many :D smiles

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”