How durable is Oyster leather ?

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

TBH1

How durable is Oyster leather ?

Post by TBH1 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:51 pm

I am looking at a 2AT with Oyster leather. It will not get driven hard (only a couple of thousand miles a year) but we have a (smallish) dog and my wife spends a lot of time in jeans. She is dead set against the oyster leather as she is convinced that it will get dirty very quickly and that the colour of her jeans will rub off immediately.

Any thoughts on durability with / without protection ? The dealer mentioned Autoglym (?). Any ideas on the cost of that and whether it is worth trying to haggle that as an included extra (I did this with Stargard on my last leather Merc) ?

Mobeer

Re: How durable is Oyster leather ?

Post by Mobeer » Wed May 10, 2017 4:24 pm

Can't speak for the 2-series but my 8-year old Z4 has Oyster leather that looks almost new. The only area showing any wear is the driver's shoulder where the seat black can leave small dark marks where it touches the seat when undone. That's with no protection ever being applied.

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Wed May 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Mobeer wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 4:24 pm
Can't speak for the 2-series but my 8-year old Z4 has Oyster leather that looks almost new. The only area showing any wear is the driver's shoulder where the seat black can leave small dark marks where it touches the seat when undone. That's with no protection ever being applied.
Out of interest which Z4 do you have?
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Wed May 10, 2017 4:43 pm

TBH1 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 2:51 pm
I am looking at a 2AT with Oyster leather. It will not get driven hard (only a couple of thousand miles a year) but we have a (smallish) dog and my wife spends a lot of time in jeans. She is dead set against the oyster leather as she is convinced that it will get dirty very quickly and that the colour of her jeans will rub off immediately.

Any thoughts on durability with / without protection ? The dealer mentioned Autoglym (?). Any ideas on the cost of that and whether it is worth trying to haggle that as an included extra (I did this with Stargard on my last leather Merc) ?
I have Oyster. In 13,000 miles the driver side bolster has worn badly. Warranty job. But that's more down to the sh*t quality of the leather, rather than colour.

Mobeer

Post by Mobeer » Wed May 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 4:42 pm
Mobeer wrote:
E89, one of the earliest ones

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Wed May 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Mobeer wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 5:59 pm
Ezzra wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 4:42 pm
Mobeer wrote:
E89, one of the earliest ones
3.0 litre? How have you found it? Any problems?

Mobeer

Post by Mobeer » Fri May 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:49 pm
3.0 litre? How have you found it? Any problems?
Going very off topic, but its been great. 2.5 litre, more for posing that speeding. Only faults have been a result of its driver. :wink:

RedlineDrifter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RedlineDrifter » Mon May 29, 2017 4:25 pm

TBH1 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 2:51 pm

I have oyster in my 1yr old 1-series, and I've have had to clean the leather a couple of times over the last 8k miles due to colour transfer from wearing jeans, and also dirt /grime /colour transfer on the bolster. I was prepared to have to give it more care n attention than the coral / black leather requires as I felt the oyster gave a more premium look to the cabin, and in truth it's not been as bad as I was fearing.
Yes autoglym leather cleaner works well and keeps the seats looking like new. I haven't tried any other products yet for comparison, but as the autoglym works so well I'll probably stick with it.

Just buy your missus some new trousers and chuck out all her denim if you wanna cut down on the cleaning 👍🏼😉

I also have a dog (30kg American boxer-bull cross) and I found the canvas boot liner I bought from the dealer the day I took delivery an absolute god send when it came to providing some protection to the interior from my 4-legged friend (who sheds hair so fast I'm surprised he ain't bald).
F21 M135I LCI

- "Sideways is the way forwards"

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”