Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster

sparkie1984
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Extending the warranty

Post by sparkie1984 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:15 pm

Does anyone know if you can log into their website and view your policy?

Trying to avoid having to search through emails!
2014 125D, pronav, electric seats, folding mirrors, adaptive xenons, auto high beam,

Gone - 2013 120D, 3 door, xenons, red leather etc

andyc1988
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by andyc1988 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:52 pm

GarryK wrote:What cover do people tend to take out?

Comprehensive or the named component?

£392 comp with emergency assistance £250 excess

£360 named component with emergency cover £250

Seems little difference and fully comp seems all bases covered.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks in advance
In place of the Emergency Services I recommend you consider AutoAid for breakdown cover at a little over £40 a year. When I was getting Mondial warranty quotes the emergency service element was ridiculously expensive, as all they do is send out a local breakdown recovery agent - I never received one of those BMW service engineer cars. Autoaid is a "pay and reclaim" service but their reviews speak for themselves.
Current: M235i EB auto
Previous: Corsa 1.0 3-pot :?, Clio 1.2, Clio 182 :twisted:, 130i pre-FL

game_over
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by game_over » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:09 pm

andyc1988 wrote:I don't think you'll get a quote until it's out of the AUC warranty. You'll also have to make sure you service the car at BMW to keep the BMW Insured warranty valid, but this is quite cost effective when you find a good dealership that will offer you BMW Value servicing. Or just have a look at https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/ for surprisingly cheap servicing on cars over 3 years old. Most dealerships wont volunteer this website or those prices to you.

Comprehensive cover is well worth it, you can increase your excess to £250 as the likelihood of a claim is slim compared to the hike in premium vs the £100 excess policy. BMW Emergency Services are good but nowhere near worth the money, look up AutoAid for breakdown recovery, full breakdown service for £43.

All in all you should be looking at less than £300 per year if the policy is configured correctly and the car is under 60k, if the car is likely to exceed 60k before renewal then choose to pay monthly as it'll avoid the 60k price hike (which can be 75% on top of base price).

A very good policy that saved me thousands more than it cost me over the 4 years I used it.

I haven't read all the terms and conditions but I don't believe you need bmw service history, I had a 6 grand claim about 18 months ago with multiple independent services in the book with no questions asked. Just keep recipes and just bmw parts.
Sunset M240i LCI auto

andyc1988
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by andyc1988 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:01 pm

game_over wrote:
andyc1988 wrote:I don't think you'll get a quote until it's out of the AUC warranty. You'll also have to make sure you service the car at BMW to keep the BMW Insured warranty valid, but this is quite cost effective when you find a good dealership that will offer you BMW Value servicing. Or just have a look at https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/ for surprisingly cheap servicing on cars over 3 years old. Most dealerships wont volunteer this website or those prices to you.

Comprehensive cover is well worth it, you can increase your excess to £250 as the likelihood of a claim is slim compared to the hike in premium vs the £100 excess policy. BMW Emergency Services are good but nowhere near worth the money, look up AutoAid for breakdown recovery, full breakdown service for £43.

All in all you should be looking at less than £300 per year if the policy is configured correctly and the car is under 60k, if the car is likely to exceed 60k before renewal then choose to pay monthly as it'll avoid the 60k price hike (which can be 75% on top of base price).

A very good policy that saved me thousands more than it cost me over the 4 years I used it.

I haven't read all the terms and conditions but I don't believe you need bmw service history, I had a 6 grand claim about 18 months ago with multiple independent services in the book with no questions asked. Just keep recipes and just bmw parts.
It has been 2 years since I bought a Mondial policy, but when I was researching them the law stated that an original warranty cannot be invalidated due to third party garages (or people) fitting genuine parts, but that "insured warranty" services can set whatever terms and conditions they like.
It may have been (or may now be) technically possible to claim under the insured warranty if you've had a 3rd party garage fit genuine BMW parts, but the hassle if Mondial want to be awkward can be very stressful according to anecdotal feedback on other forums (I uncovered several stories of rejected claims even with genuine parts fitted).

I concluded it was worth paying BMW to service the car at value service rates given that they were the same or even slightly cheaper than my local independent. They also have the full service history on the computer which allows them to pre-authorise warranty claims and offer free diagnostics (at decent dealerships that is, some will try to charge you a diagnostic fee).

Mondial might now accept claims if genuine parts are fitted by a garage but it still wouldn't be my preference given the relatively small cost difference (if any).

GarryK
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GarryK » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:08 pm

I still dont know whether to go ahead with this or not.

I do fear knowing my luck that a month after warranty runs out something will go on the car costing me a small fortune.
2012 F20 mineral grey 116i Msport

sparkie1984
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sparkie1984 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:12 pm

I took a warranty out for the same reason!!

Only downside is I can't now have pro nav retrofitted as they'll no doubt void the warranty if I do.

But it's worth piece of mind
2014 125D, pronav, electric seats, folding mirrors, adaptive xenons, auto high beam,

Gone - 2013 120D, 3 door, xenons, red leather etc

GarryK
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GarryK » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:48 pm

I think it's the best option.
Just costing more then my insurance renewal and both at the same time :roll:

andyc1988
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by andyc1988 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:27 pm

GarryK wrote:I still dont know whether to go ahead with this or not.

I do fear knowing my luck that a month after warranty runs out something will go on the car costing me a small fortune.
Have you researched common failures with your particular car? Dual-mass flywheel, clutch judder and turbo failure come to mind but I haven't researched 116i's much. The auto gearbox is something I wouldn't ever want to have without warranty either.

On my 130i the risks were DMF, fuel injectors, steering column lock and general items such as alternator related to age. Each and every one of those potential claims would exceed the cost of the annual insurance policy as I wanted BMW to fix any problems rather than bodge them with second hand components to save a few pound.

If you remove the breakdown cover an annual comprehensive policy is around the £300 mark IIRC. I personally think that's a bargain. If DMF, clutch judder and turbo failure are 116i issues then each one could cost into the £1,000's to repair if they affect your car.

I'm not entirely sure if clutch judder and DMF failure are the same problem but it was implied they were separate.

Ultimately will you struggle if you spent £300 per year and didn't need it? Conversely would you be miffed if you had to find £2,000 maybe £5,000 for a repair that would have been covered under the warranty (turbo failure comes to mind)? You could go 3 years and not claim but a big claim in the 4th year pays for itself many times over.

Just my thoughts.

Andy

GarryK
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GarryK » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Well in regards to Andy's comment. It is booked in next week for the clutch judder to be looked at. I intend on keeping the car another 12 months and I've decided the cost of the policy over the cost of a dmf or Turbo etc will be worthwhile.

GarryK
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GarryK » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:51 am

Well renewal time for the warranty.

Gone up £10 or so. Can live with that.

One thing they’ve now included so they say.

Comprehensive cover now includes wear and tear items.
Can anybody elaborate on that. Clutch plates etc?

Slightly unsure

chinskee
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by chinskee » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Hello, do you reckon a modified car would be covered? E.g with a remap?
13 116i MSport - Alpine White
Instagram: f21Charlie

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:18 pm

chinskee wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:21 pm
Hello, do you reckon a modified car would be covered? E.g with a remap?
ECU / engine / clutch / gearbox / diff / etc warranty are all void if you remap, but other expensive items like the electrics/modules would still be covered.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Alwill

Post by Alwill » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Just signed up for the extended warranty for my 2013, 116i with 53k , £58 per month , £100 excess , incl breakdown cover, well worth for me , as most of the things that went when it was under warranty were expensive to fix , there are no inexpensive jobs with a BMW, imo , it's all about peace of mind for me .

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”