Baby BMW Forum banner

405m's already starting to blister!

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Tricky401 
#1 ·
The set of 405m's I've have fitted for just over a year had already started to blister under the lacquer around the centre caps!

Do I have any recourse with BMW over this as I did purchase the wheels from a dealership?

#3 ·
Absolutely should be covered especially if they are all corroding in the same place.

I would ask for yours to be refurbished rather than replaced since a good refurb should be better than the factory finish.

#4 ·
Thanks guys I've only noticed it on two wheels but will throughly check the others.

One wheel has been kerbed (by the wife :evil: ) but that shouldn't be a problem as it's no where near the effected area.

Would it be best to contact my local dealership or the dealership I purchased from?

It's peeing down outside so I'll get some pics up later

#5 ·
Motley2012 said:
Absolutely should be covered especially if they are all corroding in the same place.

I would ask for yours to be refurbished rather than replaced since a good refurb should be better than the factory finish.
Most places that do diamond cut refurbishment only offer a short, or very limited, warranty. Also refurbishing them now limits the ability to rework them again later as you can only face so much off the wheel.

It will be a warranty claim and brand new wheels anyway.

Diamond cut wheels just aren't up to the job for UK roads.

#8 ·
pitbull666 said:
Yes but a little more severe on mine
Thanks ... looks like I will be having a conversation when mine goes in for a service on the 2nd.

I had honestly just thought they had somehow got damaged ... was unsure how but assumed it was my fault!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Kerr said:
Motley2012 said:

Most places that do diamond cut refurbishment only offer a short, or very limited, warranty. Also refurbishing them now limits the ability to rework them again later as you can only face so much off the wheel.

It will be a warranty claim and brand new wheels anyway.

Diamond cut wheels just aren't up to the job for UK roads.
I completely agree it's the reason I have never picked up a set of 269's because of the longevity of the finish.

#11 ·
rubberduckzilla said:
This is a common issue with oem diamond cut wheels, there is no way to avoid it.

Should be covered under 2 year parts warranty.

Whenever I refurb diamond cuts I always go with shadow chrome instead, similar finish without the ballache!
I had diamond cut 313's on my old E88 for 3 years and no issues with the finish on them. I always thought they went funny due to using acidic wheel cleaners.

#12 ·
Plantjuk said:
rubberduckzilla said:
This is a common issue with oem diamond cut wheels, there is no way to avoid it.

Should be covered under 2 year parts warranty.

Whenever I refurb diamond cuts I always go with shadow chrome instead, similar finish without the ballache!
I had diamond cut 313's on my old E88 for 3 years and no issues with the finish on them. I always thought they went funny due to using acidic wheel cleaners.
Any damage to the lacquer, such as a stone chip, lets dirt, salt and water underneath and the corrosion just spreads underneath.

Obviously cleaning the wheels on a regular basis and coating/sealing the wheels does help to some extent, but it isn't always enough and the vast majority of people will never look after their car to that extent.

It must be costing a fortune to replace all the wheels that do corrode.

#13 ·
Photos taken today and sent to Germany, will get an answer on Monday so will report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Interested in the outcome. One of my rears has this but like 10% of the area effected in the photos shown.

The outcome of my 436m claim with my local dealer makes me think I'm not going to get very far

Where are your local dealers that have submitted the claim?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.