Baby BMW Forum banner

Fitting m140 mpe

11K views 77 replies 31 participants last post by  markymark34 
#1 ·
Any reason why I can't fit an mpe myself?
I've access to a ramp. Cut pipe in correct place. Remove old box. Put in new box. Fix in clamp?
Do I need exhaust paste?
What about the electrical connector from the old box?

Cheers

Mark

#29 ·
Have popped you a pm re fitting instructions via email mate

#34 ·
Looking for some advice on fitting. Fitted my MPE yesterday and loving the improved sound. Like many others the tips are sticking out a bit too much for my liking, although I'm confident I cut at exactly the right point referenced in the instructions. I could go back and take a bit more off the midpipe but the backbox is limited to how far it can be moved forward on the exhaust hangers.. also it seems like taking more off will push the mid pipe further up possibly fouling the heat shielding. Any advice from those happy with how it's fitted?

#35 ·
ollyh said:
Looking for some advice on fitting. Fitted my MPE yesterday and loving the improved sound. Like many others the tips are sticking out a bit too much for my liking, although I'm confident I cut at exactly the right point referenced in the instructions. I could go back and take a bit more off the midpipe but the backbox is limited to how far it can be moved forward on the exhaust hangers.. also it seems like taking more off will push the mid pipe further up possibly fouling the heat shielding. Any advice from those happy with how it's fitted?
They stick out a bit, its just the way it is. The only way to get them to stick out less would be to grind down the pipes they slip over.

#37 ·
I installed an MPE on my M140 today. Loving the sound but, like a few here, the tips are sticking out a bit too much for my liking. Is this the "typical" overhang of the tips? If so, any recommendations on how to take some off the ends - the tips can go further back before they get close to the bends..

#38 ·
Interested in the answer to this as well as I have a M140i that has just been released to the carrier.
BMW in Peterborough are going to be fitting the MPE for me before I pick up the car.
Looking at some pics on google it seems some stick out a little more than others, granted it could be the angle the picture is taken at or the length of the lens used to take the picture.

#39 ·
There are limited options. You can have a look under the car and see if there is any space between the back box and the underneath of the car but I doubt there will be much (was virtually none for me cut in the right spot). Only other option is to get a bit try taken off the back of those tips so they can go back further. The m140 tips definitely don't sit as far back as the m135i did.

#40 ·
Craigamonster said:
I installed an MPE on my M140 today. Loving the sound but, like a few here, the tips are sticking out a bit too much for my liking. Is this the "typical" overhang of the tips? If so, any recommendations on how to take some off the ends - the tips can go further back before they get close to the bends..
They look bang on to me and stick out less than mine. I would be happy with that, you can just see the M logo, i thnk thats how they were designed.

On the pre lci the m performance splitter covered the tips more, maybe one day we will get a simlar one for the lci.

#41 ·
markymark34 said:
There are limited options. You can have a look under the car and see if there is any space between the back box and the underneath of the car but I doubt there will be much (was virtually none for me cut in the right spot). Only other option is to get a bit try taken off the back of those tips so they can go back further. The m140 tips definitely don't sit as far back as the m135i did.
Yeah, the original pipe was cut in the right place, but the tips still stick out more than I would like.
I think that there is space to trim the front of the exhaust (where the tips go over) - so that the tips go further back.
Any suggestions on how to do this ? - take off the car or trim whilst on the car?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

#44 ·
markymark34 said:
What I did was loosen the clamp holding the mpe on and pull the mpe out at the back of the car a bit. You can use a pipe cutter then. A hacksaw might be tough in situ. I think it's only a couple of screws to take the rear lower bumper off.
Thanks for the reply.
Do you have a pic with the exhaust tips cuts back and where the tips would be relative to the bumper?

#45 ·
Even with the pipes cut and the exhaust tips pushed in as far as they can go they still stick out a bit. Need to somehow cut a notch out of the tips to get them further under the car. Pretty sure someone has done that in here but it can't be done with a hacksaw

#46 ·
markymark34 said:
Even with the pipes cut and the exhaust tips pushed in as far as they can go they still stick out a bit. Need to somehow cut a notch out of the tips to get them further under the car. Pretty sure someone has done that in here but it can't be done with a hacksaw
I am going to have a go at this over the next few days (off mid-week from work). Aiming for this look - appears to be the best fit I have seen so far. The pics are taken from a m135 rather than a m140..

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

#51 ·
MrTurner said:
Basic question but what does the MPE do over standard? Does it just flow better? Does the standard have flaps where as MPE does not? Lastly when are the flaps open on the standard system?
The standard backbox (top) has perforations in different chambers to the MPE. That's why the MPE sounds a bit deeper and pops and bangs more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.