Baby BMW Forum banner

Larger fuel tank

13K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Quasar9 
#1 ·
Hi, guys!
I´m new here, and I´ve not yet received my car. This means I´m not fully a part of the club yet, but in a few months I´m there.
I´m also not British, I´m Norwegian - and live near Trondheim in Norway. I hope you will accept me here anyway :)

The thing is that I have ordered an AT with larger fuel tank (approx 10 l extra). I have asked my dealer if that will influence the space inside the car in any way, and they tell me it won´t. They do not have an answer for why BMW don´t just make these cars with larger fuel tanks as default.

So that´s my question; Does anyone here know why you have to specify you want a larger fuel tank? The extra fee is also next to nothing.

What´s the point in not having a larger fuel tank?

#5 ·
HookyMan said:
exactly so the tank has to be a percentage full for the test, so smaller tank = less weight = better co2/mpg figures.

I wish a bigger tanks was optional on the 225xe, was in Scotland last week, did over 2000 miles, and seemed to be filling it up twice a day.
Although I'm still interested in the 225xe, I seem to continuously be reading about refuelling etc., and as a result wander if it's worthwhile waiting for either the new X2 or alternatively the i3s Performance models toward the end of this year early 2018? Other than Kiwi's reports I've not seen too many comments on long-term residuals perhaps others can advise?

dorsetred :cool2:

#6 ·
No need to fill up often as you can half your fill ups by simply driving in sport when the battery needs charging by moving the gear stick to sport then back and click Max E once you have 20ks battery charged. Just keep doing this and you will half your fuel stops and save money.

Don't try for more then 20k battery charge as it will take a lot more miles to charge the battery as you try for a higher charge.

As for the new 2018 i3 it will be a lot more expensive to buy and you'll have to stop more often for fuel as the fuel tank is tiny.

The X2 will be the same as the 225xe other than maybe full X drive.

At this stage the 225xe would be BMW's best plug in for the money you just have to use sport and Max E repeatedly when going up hills. This option is only on the 6 speed auto.

#7 ·
That is an interesting theory of Kewi's. On the face of it it sounds counterintuitive running the ICE under load to charge the battery to about 70%, but then get better overall economy and range. I'll have to give it a go. From my experience running with the gearbox in sport mode locks out 6th gear, so I might have to manually nudge it up into top.

My current habits for long motorway runs is to use adaptive cruse then Auto Edrive and eco pro mode to get best economy. Once the battery has gone that gives me about 45mpg.

Over the Scottsih trips, 2047 miles, over 5 days, 5 full charges gave me a total mpg of 50.5, which I was more that happy with. Over the last 6500 miles I'm averaging 66.2 mpg, which again very happy with, mostly in Conform or Eco Pro mode.

Sport mode, and Sport gearbox setting is great fun, and it really motors along. The way this innocuous de-badged, and single exhaust pipe MPV takes off from the traffic lights has embarrassed some seriously fast cars.

The car is now nicely run in, and with the warmer weather in the uk battery range has gone up to about 22 miles.

Mine is a company car and so I don't have to worry about resale, don't think I would fancy running one once the warranty has expired, purely because they are such a complicated car, but at the moment I've had no mechanical issues at all with it.

Have had a drive in an I3 and found it great fun, but it is a class smaller than the 225xe, and I need the space of a family car, so that rules it out. If the I4 were to come along however....

Anyway we seem to have gone off topic for fuel tank size, but if you have the chance try a 225xe, it wont suit everybody, but works well for me. As an aside I have a 30ish mile commute and can change at both ends, so if I'm not doing long trips, and therefore using more electricity than petrol, I can get over 700 miles from a tank of petrol.

#8 ·
With me driving the way I explained before, my fuel economy is 3.5 litre's per 100ks and I drive my 225xe quick. The car has covered 14,000ks with 9,000ks of the 14,000ks using battery only with a saving of 500 litre's of fuel. Sport charges the battery 3 times faster than save mode, but like I have said you need to use sport up hills and Max E down hill as well flat driving. Uphill driving just using the battery will drain the battery 3 times faster and I'm talking only slight slopes. When you drive down hill feather your accelerator slightly to keep you speed rolling allowing the battery to charge at the some time. This does take aa little skill but once you master it you'll notice the battery charging while your keeping the speed up going down hill. Cruise control does this as well.

I've found the 225xe makes you more involved with the way you drive the car. Don't bother showing the wife as they cannot multi skill at all.

#9 ·
Wow you win! That is seriously good, sounds like you have a heavier foot than me as well, mine is showing

total 6500 miles (10460 Km) Electric only 2631.8 miles (4235 Km) and 254 Litres saved.

Last trip 28 miles (45k) , 44 min, 63% Electric and 141.2 mpg (2L/100K)

I put it down to the congested UK roads!

You make a good point with having to interact with the car, I am constantly switching driving modes. Into eco pro on the flat, back into comfort or sport to get better regen/acceleration. I love that, constantly thinking ahead, working out what is best for the conditions. It drives my wife mad, and I've disabled the mode display from the central screen. Having said that I have now noticed her switching to sport occasionally to overtake lorries..... Of course the kids love sport mode, and particularly with the sport dials, and Supersport mode, which is what they call Sport driving mode + Sport Gearbox.

#10 ·
HookyMan said:
exactly so the tank has to be a percentage full for the test, so smaller tank = less weight = better co2/mpg figures.

I wish a bigger tanks was optional on the 225xe, was in Scotland last week, did over 2000 miles, and seemed to be filling it up twice a day.
+1 vote for a larger fuel tank on the 225xe.

However underbody packaging appears rather snug;

- Red

Sat & Sun: '16 F21 M135i
Mon - Fri: '17 F45 225xe M Sport

#12 ·
Kiwi said:
If your going to drive huge miles then your in the wrong car
Agreed. The 225xe ain't no long distance trans-continental beast. Great for loads of short distances (around 15miles or less) when you also have time to charge between trips. Diesel equipped versions will without doubt get you a lot further between stops to fill up if you are on the road all day.

Like many others turning to hybrid here in the U.K. for me this was a company car orientated decision that yielded minimal tax for the size / comfort / performance on offer. For sure, extra trips to the fuel station in the can be a bit of a pain but certainly wasn't a deal breaker for me. I just wish the total range was nearer to 350-400miles or more (from a single full charge + full tank) than the 250-300miles I'm getting.
As battery technology continues to develop I'm certain it'll get better in time.. perhaps in the same way the new i3 gained 50% extra range with recent battery efficiency gains.

#13 ·
to put the UK company car tax into perspective, the 225xe is currently taxed on 9% of its list price, a 220d xdrive is taxed on 26% of its list price. I'm happy to put up with filling up a few extra times, and less mpg on longer journeys for the massive tax saving, plus even with the recent long journeys my overall mpg is still better than its diesel predecessor. Still driving to germany next month, wonder if I can tow a fuel bowser.........

#17 ·
HookyMan said:
to put the UK company car tax into perspective, the 225xe is currently taxed on 9% of its list price, a 220d xdrive is taxed on 26% of its list price. I'm happy to put up with filling up a few extra times, and less mpg on longer journeys for the massive tax saving, plus even with the recent long journeys my overall mpg is still better than its diesel predecessor. Still driving to germany next month, wonder if I can tow a fuel bowser.........
Fuel bowser [emoji23]

- Red

Sat & Sun: '16 F21 M135i
Mon - Fri: '17 F45 225xe M Sport

#18 ·
Elpeterol said:
50 litres
I'm reasonably sure the 225xe tank is reduced from 51L down to 39L to accommodate the Battery Pack hence one of the main reasons for having to refuel sooner rather than later.

#19 ·
225xe fuel tank holds 36l and built of stainless steel due to the battery locations. You have push a button to release vapour pressure from the fuel tank before you can open the fuel flap. Their is many well thought out safety features in the 225xe.

#20 ·
dorsetred said:
HookyMan said:

Although I'm still interested in the 225xe, I seem to continuously be reading about refuelling etc., and as a result wander if it's worthwhile waiting for either the new X2 or alternatively the i3s Performance models toward the end of this year early 2018? Other than Kiwi's reports I've not seen too many comments on long-term residuals perhaps others can advise?

Have to say, under a strict regime of charging that I managed to hypermile the 225xe last month so I only filled up once. I have to admit, I'm not getting anywhere near 25m on a charge, but easily meeting our commute daily and topping up. Had a trip, from Newcastle to Leeds (100m) the other week, and used 'Save' battery through most of the motorway miles and must have done 56-58mpg easily. So, some small disappointments that must be equalled by anyone buying a new car and finding out their purchase doesn't quite meet the manufacturer's claims, but equally, being quite impressed at others. Everything being said, me and the SO are getting to work and back on electric power, and that is better for us, the environment, and our pockets than constantly filling up at Tescos.

#21 ·
My car has the extended range tank, just 10 litres over the standard tanks at 50. Curiously the low fuel warning starts popping up when the fuel gauge is showing just over a quarter. The guage is correct as it will take around 47 litres to brim it. So obviously the warnings are calibrated for a standard tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.