Baby BMW Forum banner

E87 Angel Eyes

7K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  bjt 
#1 ·
I am in the market to upgrade my boring halogens, looking for angel eyes I've read about depo's I assume these are one of the best options to go with?

#2 ·
Yep you can get a set for £250 on eBay although the light output is fairly poor and would be better to upgrade them to HID's.

A proper xenon retro fit would set you back £1300-1500 and if I'd known the time and grief I've had with bloody headlights I should of gone the xenon route and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
If you buy a set of oem headlamps it is not that difficult to do a conversion yourself. I fitted a set to my e87 and it passed its mot no problem without the levelling sensors and the washer system. If you set the lights up you won't have any problems.

#5 ·
Wilko135i said:
If you buy a set of oem headlamps it is not that difficult to do a conversion yourself. I fitted a set to my e87 and it passed its mot no problem without the levelling sensors and the washer system. If you set the lights up you won't have any problems.
Throw some pics up Ian as would be good to see how they looked.

I know Golfer recently did exactly this conversion and I think he said "never again".

#6 ·
Twenny said:
Wilko135i said:

I know Golfer recently did exactly this conversion and I think he said "never again".

I only put led halos in mine. No projectors or anything like that. The hardest part was splitting Oem light units as the BMW original sealant was as hard as nails. Depos are much easier I think, as mine would be if I had to split them again as I used butyl rope to seal them. This is much softer and doesn't need as much heat to be able to split the light units. So I wouldn't want to split Oems again but Depos I would probably have a go at.

#7 ·
golfer said:
Twenny said:
Wilko135i said:

I only put led halos in mine. No projectors or anything like that. The hardest part was splitting Oem light units as the BMW original sealant was as hard as nails. Depos are much easier I think, as mine would be if I had to split them again as I used butyl rope to seal them. This is much softer and doesn't need as much heat to be able to split the light units. So I wouldn't want to split Oems again but Depos I would probably have a go at.
Yours do look very good though Pete but as you say splitting them is a major PITA!!

You still got that photo of the rings where you turned down the exposure? Looked awesome in that pic

#10 ·
Giggs said:
so for depos I can just swap out the bulb for led rings?
Not sure on that. Mine were a set of standard Oem halogens which I split and glued a set of led halos in. I took out the sidelamp bulb holder so the led halos are now my sidelights. I'll pop over to Tapatalk so I can post some photos.

#11 ·
Here are the halos I bought and a photo of them working [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Giggs said:
But the depo rings look yellow or is it just me? cos I want thick white/light blue rings
They're 100% white.

My depos.

If you get blue lights I'll personally slap you silly. It's not a corsa mate lol

#15 ·
Giggs said:
hehe just a thought dont kill me, im still fairly new. They look good enough depo's it is, do they have to be coded in?
Lol fair enough buddy.

No coding required unless you want your halo rings on as DRL's

#18 ·
cratcliffe17 said:
I'm also in process of ordering some Depo's to get rid of the yellow halogens; does anyone know what bulbs are needed to get the nice white look Twenny's got there?

And any advice on if these will be a straight plug and play for a 59 reg halogen model? :
Sorry only just seen this mate.

Did you get them in the end?

They are from the USA so possible problem with the switching the headlights to the RHD, also the import tax could be huge.

But yes they'll be a direct fit and you'll only need one pair of H7 Osram Nightbreaker lamps as the other one will be a HID XENON lamp.

#19 ·
Twenny said:

They are from the USA so possible problem with the switching the headlights to the RHD, also the import tax could be huge.

But yes they'll be a direct fit and you'll only need one pair of H7 Osram Nightbreaker lamps as the other one will be a HID XENON lamp.

I didn't go for it in the end, i was in the process of speaking to the guys at 'headlight retrofit' to install some DTM angel eyes into a pair of LCI Halogens with a bi-xenon conversion, but these new MOT regulations have put me off slightly as i don't think they'd have the projector lenses.

Really in two minds of what the best option is to go for with my headlights at the minute, the standard halogens are too poor to stick with.

#20 ·
cratcliffe17 said:
Twenny said:

I didn't go for it in the end, i was in the process of speaking to the guys at 'headlight retrofit' to install some DTM angel eyes into a pair of LCI Halogens with a bi-xenon conversion, but these new MOT regulations have put me off slightly as i don't think they'd have the projector lenses.

Really in two minds of what the best option is to go for with my headlights at the minute, the standard halogens are too poor to stick with.
Hmm ok well that's a bummer buddy.

Where do you live?

#21 ·
Twenny said:
cratcliffe17 said:
Twenny said:

Hmm ok well that's a bummer buddy.

Where do you live?
Ha yeah, at the minute i'm thinking of just getting better halogen bulbs until i figure out which route to go down with the angel eyes.
Doncaster, South Yorkshire,

#22 ·
OEM xenon retrofit can be done for less that £1000 using used parts and doing some work yourself.
Quite a lot of used lights/ballasts/FRMs on eBay these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.