ANOTHER attempted theft

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Timbartlett

ANOTHER attempted theft

Post by Timbartlett » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:46 am

Hi guys,

Sorry to report that it has happened again. Was awoken this morning at half 1 to my Mrs screaming out of our bedroom window (front facing) ‘what the **** are you doing’ 3 lads immediately sprinting away up the street and driving away at pace (their car was hidden round the corner)

I woke up and rand down stairs but they had gone, picked my m140i up on Monday (after a 4 series being on the drive for 18 months) and 4 days later there is thieves at the door. Footprints round to the back door and all round the side.

Mrs was woken up my the door handle rattling and then trying Force the door open. Luckily the house is just over 12 months old so I’m assuming that all the locks are of modern standard and quite secure.

Safe to say that my car will now be at the back of the drive every single night. I’m out first every morning but the hassle of swapping the cars round is insignificant to the hassle of having to ring the insurance to say it’s been Stolen!

Will be installing a collapsible bollard on the drive I think and probably a CCTV system. I know that won’t captire much but might work as an deterant.

Phoned the police who arrived shortly after, he had a look round and took some details, not much they could do or say I guess.

Baseball bat on the list of purchase for this weekend. Found a beautiful little place next to the bed for it!

Heywood/Manchester/OL10 area.

Deadlysub
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: ANOTHER attempted theft

Post by Deadlysub » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 am

Really sorry to hear this. Just because your house is new don’t assume the locks are 3 star diamond rated. It will say on the lock, if it’s British standard get them changed ASAP.
M135i auto, 5dr, AW, comfort pack, business nav, advanced audio, heated seats, black panel.
Gone- Focus ST, VX220 2.2, EP3 Civic Type R, Fiesta ST

Jon P
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jon P » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:22 am

Deadlysub wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 am
Really sorry to hear this. Just because your house is new don’t assume the locks are 3 star diamond rated. It will say on the lock, if it’s British standard get them changed ASAP.
Agreed. My new house had the most basic euro cylinders. Double check.
2013 - 120d xdrive

Ashley1992
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ashley1992 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 am

These attempts getting closer! I’m from bury, so not far from you. Mines normally kept slightly up the street from my house so might throw them off coming to mine
Bmw M240i

Mike_118D

Post by Mike_118D » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 am

Definitely change the locks for ABS anti-snap locks mate.
67' M140i Shadow Edition, Alpine White, Ferric Grey Alloys, Adaptive Suspension.

Timbartlett

Post by Timbartlett » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:03 am

Ashley1992 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 am
These attempts getting closer! I’m from bury, so not far from you. Mines normally kept slightly up the street from my house so might throw them off coming to mine
I’m literally just the other side of the m66 roundabout pal so more or less Bury!

Thanks for the advise guys, but I’m a bit naive to this sort of stuff, is there any idiots guide to checking which locks I have? And which ones I should buy? Back door is French doors so I’m assuming these are a different fitment?

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:10 am

Timbartlett wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:03 am
Back door is French doors so I’m assuming these are a different fitment?
Probably not; our uPVC French doors have the same Euro cylinder lock barrels as our timber front and back doors.
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

Stueys

Post by Stueys » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:20 am

Timbartlett wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:03 am
Ashley1992 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 am
I’m literally just the other side of the m66 roundabout pal so more or less Bury!

Thanks for the advise guys, but I’m a bit naive to this sort of stuff, is there any idiots guide to checking which locks I have? And which ones I should buy? Back door is French doors so I’m assuming these are a different fitment?
Two standards -
SS312 Sold Secure Diamond rating
TS007:2012 British Kitemark - 3 star rating

Both are anti-snap rated, the sold secure diamond rating is allegedly a tougher test, I’ve no idea whether that’s true. Soldsecure.com lists the locks which have passed their test and are diamond rated. Europrofile is a standard fit, you want to measure the lock length when you replace, the less cylonder protruding from the door the better. Replacing the locks is a 2 minute job if you need to.

Glad they didn’t get anything.

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:34 am

I can see the insurance costs of these cars rising significantly.
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

Mad_Mac
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mad_Mac » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 am

Shocking but how many attempts we don’t know about... ?
F20 2015 M135i LCI manual, black, coral interior, comfort pack, black grill and MPE

Barney McGrew
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:53 am

Mad_Mac wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 am
Shocking but how many attempts we don’t know about... ?
I don't know why people think it's shocking.

Car theft isn't new. Go on any car forum for any decent/performance car and they are full of threads like these. Nice cars have always attracted thieves. I don't wish it on anyone and sorry to hear about this incident, but people seem a bit naive to this fact and don't take any precautions regarding security, even when they've been on forums like this and seen all the posts about thefts and security devices etc.

It's just something we unfortunately have to accept I'm afraid, so get some decent security and something as a visual deterrent.

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 am

Octavius wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:34 am
Is it the cars, or is it the areas?
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:59 am

Quick check for everybody: As long as all your locks visibly have 3 little stars stamped/embossed into them, they're up to a decent standard.

99% of 2018-spec doors are fitted with joke locks.

29th theft/attempted break-in on here recently. :(

A collapsible bollard is a good idea, as long as you don't keep the key with your fob!
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

BillTheButcher
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BillTheButcher » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 am

Sorry to read this. :(
Deadlysub wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 am
^ This. Our new build is a year old. Our doors have got solid metal handles but all the locks were single star rubbish. I changed them recently to 3 Star TS2007:2014 barrels. I'm a complete DIY numpty and I managed to do them all in a matter of minutes.
Uncle Tupelo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 am
Octavius wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:34 am
Is it the cars, or is it the areas?
I was surprised to find that my 140 is significantly more expensive to insure than my old RS3 and RS4, which I thought were proper thief magnets. :shock:

rydale13
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by rydale13 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:02 am

Same advice I give to everyone.

Disklok is the most cost effective deterrent

3-star locks are the most cost effective preventative fix.

Edit: Removing and replacing a disklok twice a day would be far less of a pain than constantly shuffling around cars

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”