Baby BMW Forum banner

Fitting Springs

629 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Paul CS 
#1 ·
It can be quite dangerous to swap springs yourself, there are huge amounts of energy stored in the compressed front springs. We don't usually encourage amateur DIY (no offence intended).

I'd be quite wary if you haven't been previously shown by someone competent, you would need a very good set of spring compressors and hub spreader tool, on top of the usual tool kit / torque wrench / etc.

Or 3 hours labour at your local friendly garage. 1/2 hour per rear corner, 1 hour per front strut, as they're well versed in such things.

#3 ·
I absolutely respect what marco_polo says, but if you are relatively proficient with a spanner, they aren't difficult. Rears are the most fiddly as you have to lever the arm down, but it's not too tough.

I'm a mechanic by trade so I know what to do, but as long as you take your time, you will be fine.

I would recommend taking the front springs to a friendly independent and they will swap them over on the struts for you. Then just piece it back together. Dead simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.