Baby BMW Forum banner

130i hunters unite!

297K views 3K replies 350 participants last post by  DanJE 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looking for a 130i? Got questions about age, spec, mileage, common issues, or ownership in general? This is the thread for you!

Since this thread was started, a Facebook group under the same name has been created. BabyBMW is not connected to that group, so we can't help with any issues or questions you have related to it (i.e. getting rejected/banned from it). Sorry.

This thread was originally started by forum member Rodders in 2016, and has since grown to become possibly the most comprehensive collection of information about the 130i that exists outside of BMW's libraries. Now that he's no longer around, the thread has been adopted by the BabyBMW Staff to preserve its contents and keep the information flowing.

#1,477 ·
Just trying to find one, the right one, is proving problematic right now. I guess patience is the key.

#1,478 ·
dweino said:
So got together a few pictures and a bit of info. Tried to show the bad bits as best as possible.

Considering moving it on but without sounding too much like an advert it's genuinely the best car I've driven (the 130i, not just this one).

Would it be worth £6000? I'd need around that to even consider changing as there just isn't anything out there to consider for that money.
I think £6000 is a bit high for this car personally.

I know there's not many around but you can get more options and lower mileage for that money from what I've seen on other websites.

I think £4500-5000 is more reasonable.

#1,479 ·
CrystalKen said:
I went through a phase of half heartedly trying to sell mine. In the end I wasn't prepared to take such a big hit (mine cost £11k), plus there's the issue of what to replace it with. They're a lot of car for the money...which is why I bought Barneyrubble's and now have 2 :cool2: Unless you're desperate for something else I'd keep them and have some fun.
Get some pics up of them both together , barnys car sounded like a lovely example.

#1,480 ·
[/quote]

Get some pics up of them both together , barnys car sounded like a lovely example.
[/quote]
Good shout, I will do. It's at BMW today having a few bits and bobs done. It was in good nick but already switched out the wood trim, i-drive plate, steering wheel trim and handbrake lever (I wrecked the old one getting the centre console out). Getting the bonnet cable fixed, black grilles :twisted: and fuel filler hinge replaced today...all DIY things I know but it's too cold and I've no patience :lol2:

#1,483 ·
Hi all,

Newbie alert! Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I'm on the hunt for a 130i after seeing and driving a friend's. Can anyone say whether it is worth going for one with the idrive fitted?

I've seen a few people have mentioned slight issues with the system that was fitted to the e87, so don't know if it's best to go for a model without it? Or go for the "top spec" with it?

Any advice is massively appreciated!

Thanks everyone

#1,485 ·
Nathanjames08 said:
Hi all,

Newbie alert! Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I'm on the hunt for a 130i after seeing and driving a friend's. Can anyone say whether it is worth going for one with the idrive fitted?

I've seen a few people have mentioned slight issues with the system that was fitted to the e87, so don't know if it's best to go for a model without it? Or go for the "top spec" with it?

Thanks everyone
There are 2 types of idrive, CCC and CIC...I have both. CIC is newer, better and rarer. No issues with either though and CCC does the job. I'd rather have things like heated seats, xenons, sunroof, memory seats etc. than idrive, technology always dates and I end up using my phone half of the time.

#1,486 ·
Nathanjames08 said:
Hi all,

Thanks everyone
Dont get hung up on the idrive - It's certainly not worth passing by a really good car just coz it didn't have idrive

As CrystalKen points out other options such as heated leather, xenon, sunroof are more highly regarded

Look at each car on its merits - in particular service history, ownership history, mileage + desirable mods

I don't have idrive I don't miss it 1 little bit + I certainly wouldn't have passed on my car just coz it was missing it Good luck with the search keep looking in for sale section here

#1,487 ·
You've got to stop looking at those for sale adverts you've got 2 now! :D
[/quote]
:lol2: I know. I think I have a problem. I need a storage unit. That way I can get an 8 series and a few more 130i's.
[/quote]

Don't worry CK you're in good company here we understand + let's face it there are a lot worse things to have an obsessive compulsive disorder over

You get that lock up purchased then you can become a proper 130i collector

#1,488 ·
Ken ... what do prefer the auto or the manual box ?

#1,489 ·
markhurley said:
Was thinking this earlier, I'm still getting used to the manual as I've only had it for a couple of weeks now. With the auto I'm quite happy to kick down and let it rev itself as high as it wants to but it seems a bit abusive to do it in the manual. I'll get there with time. The manual feels like a sports car and the auto feels like a thuggish go-kart.

#1,490 ·
Not such a dumb idea to buy a good 130i and mothball it as proper six cylinder n/a cars are very thin on the ground post 2009 I have no idea what i will replace mine with as the prospect of a 10 year old 135/140/340 etc is not an appealing one given the potential maintenance costs.

#1,492 ·
CrystalKen said:
markhurley said:
Was thinking this earlier, I'm still getting used to the manual as I've only had it for a couple of weeks now. With the auto I'm quite happy to kick down and let it rev itself as high as it wants to but it seems a bit abusive to do it in the manual. I'll get there with time. The manual feels like a sports car and the auto feels like a thuggish go-kart.
Great comparison CK At last somebody uniquely placed to compare these grear cars side by side

Can't be anybody else on here in that position?

#1,493 ·
Nathanjames08 said:
Thanks CrystalKen & PaddyBoy! Appreciate the advice.
No worries - there's loads of good stuff in this thread about what to look out for / be aware of when on the hunt for a 130i

Do the research + search on here get yourself clued up coz there are some dogs out there to steer clear of

Good luck with it

#1,494 ·
CrystalKen said:
markhurley said:
Once you get a feel for it the manual feels so much better than an auto. Timing everything well on an entry slip is so much fun.

#1,495 ·
The thing that bugs with the auto is roundabouts and sharp bends / turns. The box can't anticipate it, so goes a bit wonky down through all of the gears. Whereas the manual, you're in control so could go 4th to 2nd. For overtaking I prefer the auto. DS mode, foot down, blam...

#1,496 ·
CrystalKen said:
The thing that bugs with the auto is roundabouts and sharp bends / turns. The box can't anticipate it, so goes a bit wonky down through all of the gears. Whereas the manual, you're in control so could go 4th to 2nd. For overtaking I prefer the auto. DS mode, foot down, blam...
That wonkyness you're referring to I'd never be driving in those situations in auto I save auto for when the drivings boring which is usually crawling in traffic, chugging round town etc

Twisty roads. bends, roundabouts etc now theyre more interesting opportunitires to see what i can get the back end to do + that's when my cars in manual + I'm using the paddles

The only time I don't like it in auto is coming down a steep hill + it will decide to change from say 3rd to 2nd + the revs shoot up when it's not really necessary + 9 times out of 10 I'll knock it back into 3rd - it seems to like engine braking more than I do

#1,498 ·
CrystalKen said:
Yeh, I should use the paddles more actually. Need to do the left / right mod, don't like the whole push / pull thing.
Yeah I've not done that mod but do it if it makes it easier with the paddles

The only time the paddles are rubbish is when they're in the wrong place lol! Like when you're pulling the steering wheel round + for a while the paddle is no where near you hand You've just got to get used to knocking up or down the gears with the gear stick in those situations

Get practicing + let us know how you get on - could bring a whole new dimension to driving that thuggish go kart! :spotman:

#1,499 ·
So I've finally decided to move on my car . There will be a for sale post soon (been a lurker for too long) . Based on others comments it will be up for 5500 as I think it is a solid car . Little options wise but If you want something unmodified it is worth a look .

Based in south Hertfordshire . For pics look at my post history .

#1,500 ·
Hi everyone,

Very new to the forum (registered this morning!). Been looking at a new car to go alongside a new job - was looking at Cooper S's until yesterday - now changed my mind and decided I want a baby bmw!

I'd be after a 125i coupe or 130i manual hatch, ideally as new as poss with a budget of 5-10k. Are there any threads/posts people can point me towards? Prices on the web seem a bit up and down, and I've no idea what to expect.

Colour wise, I'm set on grey, blue or black (in that order of preference). Ideally buying trade, to get some warranty/finance options but could be persuaded otherwise for forum recommended cars.

Many thanks,
Joe.