Baby BMW Forum banner

No More Manual M140 M240 from JULY 2018

15K views 128 replies 68 participants last post by  baderlfc 
#1 ·
So today we had an update for July..... For both the M140 and M240....

All changes take effect from week 27, July 2018.
- Option 2TB Sport Automatic transmission now standard on 120i and M140i models. Manual transmission is no longer available.

#54 ·
This update is also interesting.

- All Petrol engines now fitted with Particulate filter and tested under the NEDC Correlated test procedure.

Performance isn't meant to change but I wonder what this will do to the sound?

#59 ·
baderlfc said:
marco_polo said:
New 2er will be CLAR rwd chassis, not a rebadged Mini.
So i've seen.. sticking with RWD through the range.. but do you not think the m240i replacement will be 2.0l turbo 4 pot and AWD?
They might make an xDrive sissy version, but I'd expect it to get a straight 6 engine, even if it's only in the new version of the M2.

#61 ·
marco_polo said:
baderlfc said:
marco_polo said:
New 2er will be CLAR rwd chassis, not a rebadged Mini.
So i've seen.. sticking with RWD through the range.. but do you not think the m240i replacement will be 2.0l turbo 4 pot and AWD?
They might make an xDrive sissy version, but I'd expect it to get a straight 6 engine, even if it's only in the new version of the M2.
I'd be very surprised.. pleasantly surprised but surprised given the current downsizing trend.

I was shocked they've stuck with RWD if i'm honest!!!

#64 ·
baderlfc said:
Noooo.. Jamie214 comment: "All petrol engines now fitted with particulate filters"

Not according to the latest article I can see
That article was written on the 17th of Jan?

It will start on all 1 series cars from week 27, July 2018.

#65 ·
On the plus side makes me feel quite special to have a manual N55, seems my car is now obsolete, but sounds amazing and I still love the manual,

May be being stupid but can the new M2 Competition be bought in a manual?

#67 ·
Dont know about UK numbers, but regionally here the GTI DSG outsells Manual about 10:1.
135/140i are way less numerous to build stats but its probably 15:1 or 20:1.

It doesnt hurt that the BMW manual is just not that good (sorry guys), and the ZF is so darn good.

Autobox is also great to use in conjunction with adaptive cruise, and helps usher a step closer to more autonomous driving (sorry, theres that evil concept...)

#69 ·
Paul CS said:
Fact is manual transmission is an out dated technology.

I think people love manuals for nostalgia. I get people want to select the gears (I do) and the ZF does that better than any traditional manual.

This is a great discussion. Feel free to disagree.

Paul
Paul I think everyone is entitled to their opinions but not to their facts and I can only disagree with your opinion.

A manual is the most up to date technology bar none for me. Because I prefer them so it has no competition whatsoever and can't therefore be outdated by definition. This is not out of nostalgia btw, just personal preference.

#70 ·
nickfrog said:
Paul CS said:
Fact is manual transmission is an out dated technology.

I think people love manuals for nostalgia. I get people want to select the gears (I do) and the ZF does that better than any traditional manual.

This is a great discussion. Feel free to disagree.

Paul
Paul I think everyone is entitled to their opinions but not to their facts and I can only disagree with your opinion.

A manual is the most up to date technology bar none for me. Because I prefer them so it has no competition whatsoever and can't therefore be outdated by definition. This is not out of nostalgia btw, just personal preference.
Well noted but the thing with manual transmissions is they can't be integrated with the ECU which means emissions control, traction, stability control, any level of autonomous driving (car can't come to an automatic stop) etc is compromised or not even possible. That's what I mean by out dated.

Am I wrong? Are they not facts? I fully understand you may not care about those things but me, you and everyone have no choice if we want to buy a new mass produced car that meets all legislation worldwide.

Paul

#71 ·
Jamie214 said:
baderlfc said:
Noooo.. Jamie214 comment: "All petrol engines now fitted with particulate filters"

Not according to the latest article I can see
That article was written on the 17th of Jan?

It will start on all 1 series cars from week 27, July 2018.
Jamie please can you point me to your source for this info?

I have a manual m240i on order and if it's going to have a particulate filter they can keep it, still early enough for me to cancel the order.

#74 ·
Yes i'm sure the auto is very good as an auto, but it is still a slush box.
I'm fortunate that I also have a Maserati 4200 with F1 cambiocorsa gearbox.
That is still a true manual gearbox, with a clutch, and paddles.
So the computer opens and closes the clutch, and you change gear using the paddles.
What this means is that you still have complete control.
If you are in 6th top gear, two pulls of the left paddle and she drops straight into 4th, even 3 quick pulls and straight into 3rd direct from 6th etc. Same going up the box.
I was speaking to an auto M135i owner and he said when in manual mode, you can't skip gears?

#75 ·
stag74 said:
Yes i'm sure the auto is very good as an auto, but it is still a slush box.
I'm fortunate that I also have a Maserati 4200 with F1 cambiocorsa gearbox.
That is still a true manual gearbox, with a clutch, and paddles.
So the computer opens and closes the clutch, and you change gear using the paddles.
What this means is that you still have complete control.
If you are in 6th top gear, two pulls of the left paddle and she drops straight into 4th, even 3 quick pulls and straight into 3rd direct from 6th etc. Same going up the box.
I was speaking to an auto M135i owner and he said when in manual mode, you can't skip gears?
You can skip gears on the M135i and can even do 8-2.

It's not a slush box. How come BMW ditched DCT for the ZF on the M5? Bet you any money the next M3/4 won't have DCT.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.