Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:27 am
Location: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire

Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by paddyboy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:00 am

Hi folks,

I'm after a no frills front facing dash cam that I can use in my daily driver + also in my 130i.

Obviously I'm not going to be hard wiring it + I'm not fussed about the trailing wire.

Suggestions on something reliable for under £50.

Cheers :thumbs:
'09' 130i M Sport Auto - Le Mans Blue / Boston Beige Leather

BMWBrad
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 566
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by BMWBrad » Sun May 13, 2018 2:09 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-Recor ... B0773FXVKL

I’ve got this in my 130i and it’s great. Discreet, good quality and easy to use.
Pampered E81 130i
(Alpinweiss, Black Boston, Cruise, Adaptive Xenons, Pro HU w/BT, USB & DAB, F&R PDC)
BMWPE- BMWP SSK- BMWP Handbrake- BMWPV1 Steering Wheel- Alcantara Binnacle- L7 Mids & Tweeters

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:27 am
Location: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by paddyboy » Fri May 25, 2018 9:01 pm

BMWBrad wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:09 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-Recor ... B0773FXVKL

I’ve got this in my 130i and it’s great. Discreet, good quality and easy to use.
Thanks very much for the recommendation BMWBrad - didn't get myself sorted out with a dash cam still on the to do list so may just get 1 of these they look very discreet Do you have a rear camera as well in the back of your car or do you think its not really worth it? Cheers
'09' 130i M Sport Auto - Le Mans Blue / Boston Beige Leather

barneyrubble
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3075
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by barneyrubble » Sat May 26, 2018 10:07 am

Ive got two of those ready to go in the new car. I wanted discrete and no screen which makes these perfect.
If it's got breasts or wheels - it's going to give you trouble

Black Sapphire Metallic M2 LCI

M240i
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by M240i » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:07 pm

paddyboy wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:00 am
Hi folks,

I'm after a no frills front facing dash cam that I can use in my daily driver + also in my 130i.

Obviously I'm not going to be hard wiring it + I'm not fussed about the trailing wire.

Suggestions on something reliable for under £50.

Cheers :thumbs:
Oh dear, another camera on UK roads :roll:

barneyrubble
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3075
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by barneyrubble » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:28 pm

paddyboy wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:01 pm
BMWBrad wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:09 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-Recor ... B0773FXVKL

I’ve got this in my 130i and it’s great. Discreet, good quality and easy to use.
Thanks very much for the recommendation BMWBrad - didn't get myself sorted out with a dash cam still on the to do list so may just get 1 of these they look very discreet Do you have a rear camera as well in the back of your car or do you think its not really worth it? Cheers
I installed my two of these the other day. Very discrete - from outside you wouldn't know they are there.

Very easy to set up - just fit and forget. What I like about them is there's no screen, which means no distraction
If it's got breasts or wheels - it's going to give you trouble

Black Sapphire Metallic M2 LCI

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:27 am
Location: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by paddyboy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:54 pm

barneyrubble wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:28 pm
paddyboy wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:01 pm
BMWBrad wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:09 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-Recor ... B0773FXVKL

I’ve got this in my 130i and it’s great. Discreet, good quality and easy to use.
Thanks very much for the recommendation BMWBrad - didn't get myself sorted out with a dash cam still on the to do list so may just get 1 of these they look very discreet Do you have a rear camera as well in the back of your car or do you think its not really worth it? Cheers
I installed my two of these the other day. Very discrete - from outside you wouldn't know they are there.

Very easy to set up - just fit and forget. What I like about them is there's no screen, which means no distraction
Many thanks for the recommendation - cheapest I can see it for right now brand new delivered is £47 on ebay
'09' 130i M Sport Auto - Le Mans Blue / Boston Beige Leather

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:27 am
Location: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by paddyboy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:15 am

Just bought one of these Blueskysea B1W - still on Amazon for £49
'09' 130i M Sport Auto - Le Mans Blue / Boston Beige Leather

User avatar
Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by Barney McGrew » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:54 am

It's a little more pricey but still what i would call budget, but I have one of these and really rate it (one in the wife's car too):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wide-Angle-G-S ... B06XNSDRW8

I fitted mine left of the rear view mirror, so from the drivers sight it can't be seen. The display can be turned off but it's nice to have one for alignment and reviewing, but also has the wifi function so you can see/review on your phone.

I actually had a problem with one of mine about 6 months after purchase and contacted Anker who were brilliant in trouble shooting and finally replacing the item without question, which is the main reason I would recommend this particular camera as Anker is a decent company to deal with.

I like the fact the other camera has the capacitor rather than battery, but to be honest I've never heard of anyone having an issue with the batteries in dashcams anyway.

User avatar
Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 7864
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:08 am
Location: Here, There, Everywhere.

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by Sonic1506 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:33 am


BMWBrad
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 566
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by BMWBrad » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:47 pm

paddyboy wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:01 pm
BMWBrad wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:09 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-Recor ... B0773FXVKL

I’ve got this in my 130i and it’s great. Discreet, good quality and easy to use.
Thanks very much for the recommendation BMWBrad - didn't get myself sorted out with a dash cam still on the to do list so may just get 1 of these they look very discreet Do you have a rear camera as well in the back of your car or do you think its not really worth it? Cheers
Only got one in the front.
Fit and forget.
Pampered E81 130i
(Alpinweiss, Black Boston, Cruise, Adaptive Xenons, Pro HU w/BT, USB & DAB, F&R PDC)
BMWPE- BMWP SSK- BMWP Handbrake- BMWPV1 Steering Wheel- Alcantara Binnacle- L7 Mids & Tweeters

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:27 am
Location: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by paddyboy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:49 am

BMWBrad wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:09 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-Recor ... B0773FXVKL

I’ve got this in my 130i and it’s great. Discreet, good quality and easy to use.
All ready to go with it just need to put a memory card in it but which memory card?

Was going with 32gb but that's the easy bit - need to stop reading reviews as they are saying you've got to buy this or that + they work out to be half the price of the dash cam!
'09' 130i M Sport Auto - Le Mans Blue / Boston Beige Leather

barneyrubble
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3075
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by barneyrubble » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:43 pm

I think i got a class 10 sandisk 32gb to go in mine.

Look on amazon i think they are reasonable on there for about £13

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Elite- ... UWLQ4MAU91

Class 10 I think is the important bit as 1080p needs less than a 1/3 of the bandwidth of class 10

The other one I’ve got is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-530005 ... toshiba+sd

I’ve seen somewhere that sandisk ultra should be avoided due to high failure rate- so if i were you I’d go for the Toshiba. I haven’t had any issues with my sandisk ultra
If it's got breasts or wheels - it's going to give you trouble

Black Sapphire Metallic M2 LCI

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:27 am
Location: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by paddyboy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:14 pm

barneyrubble wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:43 pm
I think i got a class 10 sandisk 32gb to go in mine.

Look on amazon i think they are reasonable on there for about £13

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Elite- ... UWLQ4MAU91

Class 10 I think is the important bit as 1080p needs less than a 1/3 of the bandwidth of class 10

The other one I’ve got is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-530005 ... toshiba+sd

I’ve seen somewhere that sandisk ultra should be avoided due to high failure rate- so if i were you I’d go for the Toshiba. I haven’t had any issues with my sandisk ultra
Big thanks Barneyrubble that helps sort that one out - that Toshiba one you posted is under a tenner which is what I was wanting to pay - think I'll get one of those ordered :thumbs:
'09' 130i M Sport Auto - Le Mans Blue / Boston Beige Leather

barneyrubble
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3075
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Re: Looking for cheap / budget dash cam

Post by barneyrubble » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:36 pm

no worries, i could've demo'd it last sunday but didn't realise you were interested. It was too hot i think to actually do anything to the cars anyway
If it's got breasts or wheels - it's going to give you trouble

Black Sapphire Metallic M2 LCI

Post Reply

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”