Baby BMW Forum banner

New E82/E88 Blacklines

44K views 279 replies 53 participants last post by  mikeydee007 
#1 ·
See less See more
#227 ·
redwizard said:
rjwojcik said:
Well, I fitted mine today (63212225282).

Everything works apart from the optics bars on the drivers side :( . Am I going to have to get them replaced or can you just replace the leds? TIA
Ah... not good. :(

Did you swap the units over to find out whether the unit or feed was at fault?
Thanks for that but not too sure what you're proposing but... I swapped back the old lamp cluster and all was fine. Then tried the new one and it wasn't. Did this cycle a couple more times with the same results.

Are you suggesting I try the drivers side unit on the passengers side? I think the connectors are different (they appear to be the mirror of each other).

#228 ·
rjwojcik said:
redwizard said:
rjwojcik said:
Well, I fitted mine today (63212225282).

Everything works apart from the optics bars on the drivers side :( . Am I going to have to get them replaced or can you just replace the leds? TIA

Thanks for that but not too sure what you're proposing but... I swapped back the old lamp cluster and all was fine. Then tried the new one and it wasn't. Did this cycle a couple more times with the same results.

Are you suggesting I try the drivers side unit on the passengers side? I think the connectors are different (they appear to be the mirror of each other).
Yes, I meant connect the left unit on the right side - the connectors should be the same.

See this topic -

#229 ·
redwizard said:
rjwojcik said:
redwizard said:

Yes, I meant connect the left unit on the right side - the connectors should be the same.

See this topic -
Understood. I'll give that a go tomorrow. Bit too dark now.

#230 ·
Long story but looks good today. Went to Maplins to get some testing gear together to figure out what feeds what so that I could then test the strips. Then made up a power supply (using one of those 9V batteries) to try the combination and the optics worked. So plugged in and all good. No idea what went wrong yesterday.

Barry, I'm sure my connectors (although the same physical dimension on each side) differ. We can compare during the Romp.

#232 ·
Fine, at least it's all good now. :)

I'll be staying overnight in Yorkshire after the romp so I won't be in a hurry to get anywhere once the driving has finished.

#234 ·
RichCranney said:
redwizard said:

I'll be staying overnight in Yorkshire after the romp so I won't be in a hurry to get anywhere once the driving has finished.
Where abouts you staying Barrie?
Here - - don't book online, it's cheaper if you ring them.

Booked in at Peter's for the CIC pro-nav retro-fit on the Monday. :)

#236 ·
oliver said:
redwizard said:
You crazy Barrie. :lol2:
I'm glad you like that hotel, not bad for the first place we found is it? :lol2:
Yeah, and now he tells me that the only other 1-er that he's done this retrofit was a pre-facelift.

Just hope that I don't get stranded up there ...... again.

Hotel remembered me - and gave me a discount off the on-line rates. :D

Are you planning on popping 'round?

#237 ·
redwizard said:
oliver said:
redwizard said:
Hotel remembered me - and gave me a discount off the on-line rates. :D

Are you planning on popping 'round?
You are quite difficult to forget my friend! :) I may romp it but I'm mown out with work I can hardly get a day off, better than not having any work I suppose!

#238 ·
redwizard said:
RichCranney said:
redwizard said:

Where abouts you staying Barrie?
Here - - don't book online, it's cheaper if you ring them.

Ah, so that's why Peter could only fit me in this week!

I dread to think how much you have spent on retro fits mate, lol.

#239 ·
RichCranney said:
redwizard said:

It's getting a bit more interesting as he has found a CIC unit with built-in DAB so now he's asking me about shark-fin aerials (has to be in TG though :D ).

Contemplating having a rear-view camera fitted, too. :cool2:

Hopefully all can be fitted and working on just the Monday.

Some people spend a fortune changing their cars, I just like to keep the one I have. :)

#240 ·
redwizard said:
RichCranney said:
redwizard said:

It's getting a bit more interesting as he has found a CIC unit with built-in DAB so now he's asking me about shark-fin aerials (has to be in TG though :D ).

Contemplating having a rear-view camera fitted, too. :cool2:

Hopefully all can be fitted and working on just the Monday.

Some people spend a fortune changing their cars, I just like to keep the one I have. :)
Good work mate.

Let me know if you end up at a loose end, I'm only 30 mile away

#241 ·
Before i spend my hard earned cash on these could anyone please confirm they will work :)

I've got a 2009 Coupe with halogen headlights but i want to fit the new LCI rears fitted to cars with xenon headlights.

Have i read it right that they are just a straight swap on E82's?

#244 ·
Nah, there's two versions. LED and non-LED. Forget your headlights for now. Did your car come with LCI tail lights or the older ones with the 3 LED stripes?

If you have the 3 LED stripes then you can just buy the "HIGH" version (LED) Darklines and plop them on there. No wiring or new modules or anything is required, despite what BMW will tell you.

If you already have LCI rear lights (doubt it on a 2010) then you will have to stick with the type of lights that are already on there, or mess about with wiring and modules to change them. So if you have LCI rears without the LED Celis strips then you'll have to get the non-LED Darklines (or new wiring and modules to fit the LED versions) but if you already have LCI LED rears (which come with LCI Xenon-equipped cars) then you can just swap over to the LED Darklines.

Does that answer your question? :D

#245 ·
TheRuss said:
Nah, there's two versions. LED and non-LED. Forget your headlights for now. Did your car come with LCI tail lights or the older ones with the 3 LED stripes?

If you have the 3 LED stripes then you can just buy the "HIGH" version (LED) Darklines and plop them on there. No wiring or new modules or anything is required, despite what BMW will tell you.

If you already have LCI rear lights (doubt it on a 2010) then you will have to stick with the type of lights that are already on there, or mess about with wiring and modules to change them. So if you have LCI rears without the LED Celis strips then you'll have to get the non-LED Darklines (or new wiring and modules to fit the LED versions) but if you already have LCI LED rears (which come with LCI Xenon-equipped cars) then you can just swap over to the LED Darklines.

Does that answer your question? :D
I'd love to say it did but not completely up with the terminology yet :cry:

This is mine- what do I have?

#246 ·
Sorry to tell you, but that's actually a Reliant Robin...

:lol2:

If you turn your lights on and then get round the back and look you'll see three stripes across each light. Those are your marker lights and are lit by LEDs. Behind that are bulbs that will illuminate when you brake.

You have LED rear lights, which means you can buy the LED (HIGH) version of the Darklines. (Which are the best kind.)

All the pre-LCI (facelift) cars had LED rears, regardless of which headlights were fitted. So they can all use the nicer looking LED Darklines.

When they brought out the LCI update, only Xenon-equipped cars had LED rear lights, which is where the confusion is.

You have LED rears, so buy the LED Darklines and be happy!

Here's some encouragement...

Mine:

#248 ·
Yikes, I'm on my phone at the moment so it's a bit of a pain just to type a message, but if you can wait 'til lunch then I can find it (if Marco doesn't beat me to it).

Or just try searching "Darklines". It must be on here about a million times by now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.