Baby BMW Forum banner

2 Series Active Tourer Tinted and Detailed

9K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  mclaren11 
#1 ·
I understand not everyone likes the car but each to their own, drives like a dream and absolutely delighted with it. We drove from Dorset to Cheshire and back just before Christmas average was 42.9 mpg which was fine no problems at all.

Allan

See less See more
#2 ·
Much better looking than I thought and better looking than the 1 series LCI, pity they didn't use the same front on the m-sport LCI, I like those wheels as well, if they made an M235 x-drive version I'd seriously think about buying one

#5 ·
Many thanks for your comments, I have to be honest I liked the look of the vehicle when I saw the initial press releases last February but to be frank it's totally different up close and even more so when you drive the car irrespective of the engine size be it Petrol or Diesel to my mind it's all a matter of practicality. I thought the 1-series coupe was brilliant but unfortunately despite only being 5ft 8inches and SWMBO 5ft nothing both of us begin to feel cramped in the cabin despite many advantages such as a huge boot having made the change with no regrets whatsoever in doing so.

I think if people who criticize the look take the time to test the car they'll form a completely different opinion to my mind I was genuinely surprised who the flexibility of the 218i that we tried but I'd already made the specification of what I felt was ideal for us and made the final decision after the test drive even having the Area Manager involved because of the deal I was after.

I should add my daily drive is a MY14 Auto Toyota Land Cruiser with a 4-Litre engine so why do I need to have a bigger engine when back in the UK with all the cameras etc obviously not but when I was back for Christmas and the car had only 293 miles on the speedo I did give it some welly especially on the A34 and M40 :lol2:

Allan :cool2:

#9 ·
Luv the colour. its what I wanted but is only available. with. the msport. so settled. with the luxury to have the extras you can't. have with the msport

#11 ·
Kiwi said:
Enjoy your people mover I'll enjoy my drivers car
Have I missed something here? That comment makes you sound like a bit of a tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
That's the best looking 2AT I've seen OP, I wasn't sold on them to begin with but like all BMWs of late it's grown on me. In the class it's in it's by far the nicest car

#13 ·
AW_Dan said:
Kiwi said:

Well their you go I'm a tool which is handy better than being a dick.

I'm saying it how it is, rear wheel car for a drivers car, why do you think great drivers cars are all rear well drive.

I'm happy he enjoys his people mover I'm a true BMW owner and rear wheel drive is were it is, not a Mini dressed in different clothing.

#14 ·
Kiwi said:
AW_Dan said:
Kiwi said:

Well their you go I'm a tool which is handy better than being a dick.

I'm saying it how it is, rear wheel car for a drivers car, why do you think great drivers cars are all rear well drive.

I'm happy he enjoys his people mover I'm a true BMW owner and rear wheel drive is were it is, not a Mini dressed in different clothing.
I appreciate the fact you dislike the styling and design of the Active Tourer however my daily drive is a 4-Litre MY14 Toyota Landcruiser which is totally necessary working in Saudi Arabia just for your information there are more people killed or injured here than anywhere else worldwide.

When at home I don't need to drive like I do here not crazy but lunatic style and hence why we made the decision to buy the type of car we felt we needed for the future especially as I'm past retirement age and come 2017 we'll both have retired with a car intended for the future.

In 1988 in Oman I had a Toyota Supra 2.8 Injected Coupe which drove like a dream and to be perfectly honest if I was perhaps twenty years younger I'd love a new M3 or M4 but our main problem is we wouldn't be able to get it down the drive and into the garage as we're somewhat limited due to the width between chimney breast and the fence which is a real pain in the butt.

#15 ·
I appreciate the fact you dislike the styling and design of the Active Tourer however my daily drive is a 4-Litre MY14 Toyota Landcruiser which is totally necessary working in Saudi Arabia just for your information there are more people killed or injured here than anywhere else worldwide.

When at home I don't need to drive like I do here not crazy but lunatic style and hence why we made the decision to buy the type of car we felt we needed for the future especially as I'm past retirement age and come 2017 we'll both have retired with a car intended for the future.

In 1988 in Oman I had a Toyota Supra 2.8 Injected Coupe which drove like a dream and to be perfectly honest if I was perhaps twenty years younger I'd love a new M3 or M4 but our main problem is we wouldn't be able to get it down the drive and into the garage as we're somewhat limited due to the width between chimney breast and the fence which is a real pain in the butt.

[/quote]

As I said enjoy the car. I'm close to retirement as well but will not retire I'll just keep busy and enjoy working and the car we have been looking at getting back into is the convertible 2 series as well keep our new 116i m sport. I'm not interested in a M car I enjoy driving them on BMW invite track days only.

What I'm saying is BMW has eaten its words in going front wheel drive and could have just stayed with Mini. Maybe BMW is going to sell off Mini now they will not need it.

#16 ·
^ I would probably say a 116i isn't really a drivers car. The 1 series is damn heavy and needs a bit of power.

For me a true BMW drivers car has 6 cylinders RWD and a manual box.

Everyone buys cars for different purposes, and the 2AT is a nice version of what it does

#17 ·
leon1984 said:
^ I would probably say a 116i isn't really a drivers car. The 1 series is damn heavy and needs a bit of power.

For me a true BMW drivers car has 6 cylinders RWD and a manual box.

Everyone buys cars for different purposes, and the 2AT is a nice version of what it does

BMW top touring racing cars over many years was a 4 as well all the world touring racing cars are still 4. This is were the fun is and now we will see a 3 pot racing car. Speed is not what we are after great corning is the best and front well drive will under steer.

#18 ·
Nonsense. My FWD TT had a much stronger front axle than my 120D coupe. It wouldn't ever understeer where as my one coupe took some serious work to get the front to turn in.

If you learnt to drive you would realise from turn in to apex you are either on a neutral throttle (high speed corners, where maximum suspension travel gives stability) or trail braking to transfer weight to the front to give it grip to turn the car. At that point what wheels are being driven are 100% totally irrelevant.

Driven wheels does not equal high mid corner speed or grip hence why the 280 Seat Cupra is faster than most hot hatches out there 4WD or RWD. Weight does ruin the party somewhat though and 1 series weigh a lot.

#19 ·
Kiwi said:
As I said enjoy the car. I'm close to retirement as well but will not retire I'll just keep busy and enjoy working and the car we have been looking at getting back into is the convertible 2 series as well keep our new 116i m sport. I'm not interested in a M car I enjoy driving them on BMW invite track days only.

What I'm saying is BMW has eaten its words in going front wheel drive and could have just stayed with Mini. Maybe BMW is going to sell off Mini now they will not need it.
I can appreciate and understand your comments as I've had too many cars since starting driving in 1966 although I think where you live has a slightly different volume of traffic perhaps then in UK, please bear in mind I've not been to New Zealand and can only base an impression from seeing aspects on television.

I have my doubts that BM would sell off their Mini Division from a business point of view although they have stated they're dropping certain models which I believe an earlier comment you made was realistic why manufacture something if another division within the group has models which are successful? What has surprised me a little is they're bringing in higher capacity (X-Drive) models in the AT range when in reality it is a direct competitor to the X1 model and furthermore the AT does have more room!

#20 ·
leon1984 said:
Nonsense. My FWD TT had a much stronger front axle than my 120D coupe. It wouldn't ever understeer where as my one coupe took some serious work to get the front to turn in.

If you learnt to drive you would realise from turn in to apex you are either on a neutral throttle (high speed corners, where maximum suspension travel gives stability) or trail braking to transfer weight to the front to give it grip to turn the car. At that point what wheels are being driven are 100% totally irrelevant.

Driven wheels does not equal high mid corner speed or grip hence why the 280 Seat Cupra is faster than most hot hatches out there 4WD or RWD. Weight does ruin the party somewhat though and 1 series weigh a lot.

Their is no 4x4 car racing recognised for world car racing and I was talking about front wheel drive versus rear wheel drive not 4 wheel drive. The only world car racing 4x4 is rally cars. BMW will only train racing car drivers in rear wheel drive cars.

#21 ·
Do you have selective hearing as well as reading? FWD doesn't mean understeer or lack of corner speed in fact often the opposite is true.

Learn a thing or two before spouting nonsense whilst driving a 116i

#22 ·
leon1984 said:
Do you have selective hearing as well as reading? FWD doesn't mean understeer or lack of corner speed in fact often the opposite is true.

Learn a thing or two before spouting nonsense whilst driving a 116i

n

Rubbish I spend time racing and test racing cars and motorbikes so claim back in your box and go and learn correctly. I enjoy debating as well our rugby team smashing the poms.

#25 ·
Kiwi said:
leon1984 said:
Never met a racing driver with a 116i... Hahahaha

Did I say I raced a 116i
Did I say you raced a 116i? (This is a fun game of selective reading and responding, you're very good at it)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.