Performance Driver 'track' Day 21st May 17@Millbrook, CAT Driver Training

Reach your car's potential. Fulfill your own. Get expert/insider technique from the leading authority on Vehicle Dynamics. Learn how your car works with knowledge & information you won't get anywhere else.

Moderators: CATDT, Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

mouse140i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Performance Driver 'track' Day 21st May 17@Millbrook, CAT Driver Training

Post by mouse140i » Sat May 20, 2017 8:53 pm

See you in the morning!!

Hopefully will be able to get some sleep, just a little bit excited...

You'll know I'll have arrived, will probably be the dirtiest car there :D

AndyKnight
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by AndyKnight » Sun May 21, 2017 7:55 pm

Awesome day today with the CAT team, had so much fun and learnt a hell of a lot.
Previous group got outclassed by our star mini driver although we suspect his bmw is actually fine and he just used the excuse of having a wrecked gearbox just to use his go kart of a mini lol.
The day is definitely worth it, highly recommended!!
MG M135i 5 door, Sports Auto, Adaptive Suspension, Coral Red Interior, Comfort Pack, BCS Cat Back System, JB1, Eibach Pro Kit, 3 Door Tension Struts

kent dan
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kent dan » Sun May 21, 2017 10:35 pm

Lol, good ol Mini. It does have quite a few mods to be fair, and even though it it only has 200 odd bhp, it only weighs about 1200kg.
Was a brilliant day, learnt alot and will try to put it in to practice and hone my driving skills. Made me realise how much I need to learn and that best money I could spend is on further training.

Great to meet you guys, was a great bunch of lads.

And thank you to the Cat team, was a superb day and really well delivered. Especially the lunch :D, thanks Jo.

R53 rules :twisted:
Mineral Grey M140i. . Mini R53 weekend/track car
Lexus GH300h
Tuned M635csi back in 2017.

mouse140i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mouse140i » Mon May 22, 2017 7:31 am

What a great day!

So much learnt, so many things experienced and the fastest BMW (ahem...!) on the gymkhana.

Jo was a brilliant host, Colin and Paul very insightful instructors and Millbrook a fantastic place to go play and learn.

As has been mentioned by a few on the 6th May group, steering (single input, traceability and bump steer) were my big eye openers with the Alpine Loops providing the best learning experience for me. That was really relatable to day to day driving.

I can highly recommend CAT for both a driving experience and learning opportunity with skills you can take to your everyday drive.

Thanks again, Wes, for starting the ball rolling on this. Just a shame you couldn't get out there in an M-Lite.

CATDT

Post by CATDT » Mon May 22, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Chaps

Another lovely day! Thank you for your enthusiasm and interest in developing your knowledge and technique. We all had a great time with you.

Lookee here Kent Dan: http://catdrivertraining.co.uk/road/car-club-forums/

Not only have you knocked Olbm from 6th May off of the league table, but you've put yourself in 3rd place :D

Congratulations to GaryWho for being Driver of the Day & Kent Dan for your fastest time of 42.61 on the Gymkhana course - well done to you both.

Hope to see you all again in the future.

KR
Jo

ChrisGJ
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ChrisGJ » Mon May 22, 2017 10:30 am

morning, hope everyone got safely home ok and practiced what we learnt around every roundabout!.... what a great day! well worth the 4.50am alarm call for.

great to meet everyone and a big thanks to the CAT team. Biggest learning for me was the use of the accelerator to level the car and provide more grip through corning, which along with the single input steering equals a totally different method of driving. Made me realise I've actually just been driving really without any specific techniques....so great to now have a whole load of proper methods to practice.

130mph in lane 5 of the banked 2 mile circle was far more scary than I thought it would be. Loved the handling circuit and the alpine loops.

I did enjoy the steering test pad at the end but the noise coming from my 8 week old tyres kept me awake last night :)

also....those pesky cones need to be changed!

I know it's no place to mention MPG but it did make me chuckle when my car told me 7.7mpg after the 100mph braking and banked circuit sessions :)

Overall, definitely recommend the day to anyone keen to improve their driving....because the way that Colin took that bog standard rep-mobile Mondeo around the handling circuit (amazing driving!!) proved it is far more about man than machine.

stevep123

Post by stevep123 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Great day,highly recommended if you get the chance to go 👍

As said above Jo,Colin and Paul brilliant hosts and instructors,makes you realise how much more there is to driving,would love to go back and try another one of there days

GaryWho

Post by GaryWho » Mon May 22, 2017 9:52 pm

What a great day that was.

Learnt so much. Loads of things to think about and practice ( and try and remember!) So much packed into a short space of time. Must just say one thing that has been mentioned - Observation - looking ahead and scanning back constantly.

Thanks to the CAT Team, Paul, Colin and Jo for making it such an enjoyable day and what a good bunch of guys to be on the day with. Wasn't the weather lovely !! And isn't Millbrook a big place.

Highly recommend this day to anybody wanting to learn and improve their driving skills and capabilities. Colin and Paul just have so much skill and knowledge to pass on to anyone that wants to learn. They really make you think about what it means to be a really good driver.

For me everything we did in some way or another fed back into road driving including for example the high speed banking for being able to feel and understand 'Compliance steer'.

The day also just reinforces how fantastic these M-lites are and how far I am from getting anywhere near their full potential although circling the high speed banking at 140 mph wasn't bad !

Now what shall I do next ? The Corning Masterclass looks interesting !

Gary
'The Flyer': M135i LCI - Mineral Grey, Black Dakota Leather. Options Inc - Sport Auto Transmission, Adaptive M-Sport Suspension, Adaptive LED Headlights, Ext' Folding and Dimming Mirrors......

Return to “CAT Driver Training”