My X2 review

Find out more about the BMW X2 Series F39.
Manufactured from 2018

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

tonywalk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

My X2 review

Post by tonywalk » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:27 am

BMW X2 review
=============
Apologies for the late review but life’s been a bit busy lately.

Design
---------
I was first attracted to the X2 before any of the TV adverts started appearing. I fancied something in the SUV style, but didn’t really want to give up the sporty drive I had been accustomed to with my 1er coupe, M135i and M235i. The promise of some sportiness and the great looks added the X2 to my shortlist. Other vehicles on the shortlist included Skoda’s Kodiaq (great car but not sporty) and Karoq (jiggles like breasts on cobbles).
By the time I test drove the two Skodas, I’d had two test drives in the X2. On my way home from the Skoda dealership, I decided that if I could get the right deal, then the X2 would be the one for me.

By chance, I received a phone call from the X2 dealer the following day. I flat-out asked him for the discount I wanted, saying I would place an order if they agreed. He had a chat with the dealer principal, and I got a call back within five minutes, agreeing and taking an initial deposit to secure a build slot. I followed this up on the Monday, with a visit to the dealer to finalise the spec and put the full order in.

Spec-wise, I’ve gone for the M Sport X 20d with enhanced nav, folding mirrors, black leather, driver assist plus and Harman Kardon audio.

The time between June and September was hard, as it always is when waiting for a new car. Have I got the spec right? Was the car as good as I remembered it on the test drive?
August was a busy month, with organising the return of my M235i to BMW Finance, and sorting the paperwork out, transferring insurance, etc. And the small matter of hiking 100 miles around the north Devon coast.

Finally, the 1st of September came around. A pleasant 30 minutes were spent at the dealer’s dotting the “I”s and crossing the “T”s, and then I was away. Dealer gave me a BMW thermal mug as a thank you - instead of the customary flowers that blokes with wives, or ladies themselves, get - and the customary golf umbrella.

My first impressions were of a more high-end BMW. Everything felt nailed together superbly and there were no rattles - these would have been evident as the inside is well insulated sound-wise.

I’ve had the car for just over a month now and had a bit more time to think about it and to also get used to driving an automatic. This is a little more difficult than often portrayed, as you have to manually intervene going down hills to stop yourself speeding, and work out how to time use of the handbrake with the stop/start system so the engine stays off at traffic lights.

Colour
--------
My X2 is in Galvanic Gold, and it's a real chameleon of a colour. It shifts depending on the light, ranging from a fluid metallic yellow, right down to full-on gold, with about 40 billion shades in-between.

Engine
--------
OK, onto more specific things. First up, the engine. One word - lovely. Smooth, responsive, even before it’s really broken in. I think you would struggle to find a better diesel engine at the moment. Earlier this year, BMW added the low-end turbo to the 20d 4 pot and it shows with the engine pulling strongly across the rev range. The engine really suits the car. It also takes Ad-Blue, the diesel additive that reduces nitrous oxide emissions.

Automatic Gearbox
------------------------
Excellent and very useable. This is my first auto and whilst I got used to it quickly, I have to work out a couple of things like the sport mode. It’s astonishing how far up the gears you find yourself at low speed. The box is fast and smooth with only steep uphill change-downs causing a flutter.

Wheels, ride and handling
--------------------------------
As part of the pack that brought the Harman Kardon audio, the wheels were upsized to 20”. This was one of my doubts whilst waiting - would the ride be affected by the necessarily thinner tyres. I needn’t have worried. The ride is good and the standard M Sport suspension soaks up most things with only big potholes being crashy. It also controls the body really well when pushing on around corners though I reckon the adaptive suspension’s Sport setting (firmer on my M235i and M135i) would have been even better. Wanting the better audio precluded getting the adaptive option though due to the way the option packs are aligned on the X2. Rough roads also induce tyre noise though it really is not bothersome at all.

Gadgets
----------
I seem to be finally getting the hang of adaptive cruise and the emergency braking beat me by a millisecond at the weekend to slam the anchors on. All nice stuff, but could be lived without. It’s worth going for the better nav package though. Not only do you get a beautiful screen, the extra space makes sense in combination with the reversing camera. It also doesn’t add as much as you think to the PCP payment as the "future value" of the car is higher.
The Harman Kardon audio is superb though it took some playing in - as a good audio system should. Somewhere along the line, BMW seems to have discovered FLAC audio files as both my M235i and this will play CD and HD variants beautifully. Thus, you can get quite a lot of audio on a 256GB memory stick (£27 from myMemory).

Interior
----------
A quick note on the interior. Surprisingly spacious with 3 passengers aboard. I’ve not yet used the middle seat in the rear though it should be ok for shorter trips. Boot space is big with a nice underfloor area to put the crap or dirty stuff. Seats are for the best part, comfy and very adjustable, though see below for a small caveat.

Value for money
--------------------
It maybe a bit expensive for what it is, but BMW certainly aren’t the only manufacturer pushing prices up.

Should've got
-----------------
Lumbar support. The seats are good, but not quite as supportive as the ones in my previous cars. Playing with the seating position has helped, so we’ll see.

Odds and ends
------------------
Brakes. Creaky at very low speed. Only seems to happen when parking up. Rest of the time they’re strong and silent. This may be wearing off though as the brakes bed in.
In a short game of “where have they cut corners?”, I would say the boot floor and the sun visors, though the latter seem to be pretty bad regardless of what you buy. The floor though is disappointing, in that there is no elasticated net on it like I had on my Ms. That was handy for carrying bottles.

Right, I think I’ve waffled on for too long now. Pictures will come when I can find some time in daylight. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Regards,
Tony.
Now being enjoyed:

Former 2er: F23 M235i Melbourne Red, Manual
Former 1er: F21 M135i Mineral Grey
Former 1er: E82 120d Coupé M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Stalman1982

Re: My X2 review

Post by Stalman1982 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:44 am

Thanks for the review, very informative, I have recently bought one for the missus and now just waiting for delivery which should be around Christmas time.
M140i auto, EB, HK, Adaptive, Pro Nav.. Maxton front,side splitters, RK Tuning diffuser
AFE Magnum CAI, M4 pads with fluid, Underbody brace
Next up, Remus exhaust, Suspension, LSD

dorsetred
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dorsetred » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Good review Tony and I'm looking forward to seeing one in the flesh when back home in December, be interesting to see your photographs as opposed to the usual press rubbish much better when an owner takes them. 8)
[/color]Mercedes-AMG GLA 45
Previous - BMW 218d M Sport Active Tourer, BMW 118d, Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, Honda HRV

Jeo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jeo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:58 pm

Great review looking forward to seeing the pictures

Considering your coming from a petrol, is the engine punchy enough for you? Would you consider getting it mapped?
2011 E87 120d M Sport, Space Grey, BW Chiptune Map

tonywalk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by tonywalk » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:34 am

Jeo wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:58 pm
Great review looking forward to seeing the pictures

Considering your coming from a petrol, is the engine punchy enough for you? Would you consider getting it mapped?
Whilst I have to be realistic, the 2.0L diesel has enough poke to make driving interesting. In part, this is due to the low-end turbo that BMW added to the unit earlier this year.

Mapping? Maybe if I owned the vehicle outright. It's on PCP, so I'm not tempted to play.

Regards,
Tony.
Now being enjoyed:

Former 2er: F23 M235i Melbourne Red, Manual
Former 1er: F21 M135i Mineral Grey
Former 1er: E82 120d Coupé M-Sport Le Mans Blue

tonywalk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by tonywalk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:59 pm

Photos can now be found in the newly created photo thread