Aftermarket head unit install! HELP!!

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Jaydennn96

Aftermarket head unit install! HELP!!

Post by Jaydennn96 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi folks,

I’m trying to install an aftermarket head unit to my 120d 2005. I have purchased the iso harness from eBay etc.

I have removed the old stereo however when I’ve connected the new stereo I get no power at all, literally nothing. All wires are connected to the harness? Any ideas?

I’ve plugged in the original stereo to check to see if a fuse has blown but it still powers on? And I plugged my aftermarket unit into my other car and it powers on fine?

blingers
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Aftermarket head unit install! HELP!!

Post by blingers » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:44 am

You need a canbus adapter wiring harness like the connects2 ctbm9002 kit. This harness power on the headunit, retain the gong sound and parking sensor beeps too.

Jaydennn96

Post by Jaydennn96 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 am

Ah thanks bud, have you got a link?

blingers
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by blingers » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Sorry I miswrote the name of the harness. It's this harness http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/Prod ... CTSBM009.2

Giggs
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Giggs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:11 pm

You need power to the harness as well, through the fuse box, ignition switched supply to the yellow wire and permanent live to the red wire.
2008 E87 116i N43 - Some Mods

Jaydennn96

Post by Jaydennn96 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Managed to sort it by joining together the red and yellow cables in the iso harness,. Only issue is that you have to manually turn the stereo off. As it automatically comes on when the car is unlocked, which isn’t a problem for me!

Nottnowcato
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Nottnowcato » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 am

I'm gonna hijack this post with some more technophobe questions if you fine people don't mind:

Hello! I'm new to BM having just acquired a 116i sport which I'm already completely in love with, but I've been attempting to swap out the absolutely pants HU and ran into the exact same problem as detailed in this post. Sooooooo:

Firstly: Splicing together the red and yellow wires on the wiring loom seems like a nice easy fix (if indeed it works) but I'm mildly concerned this will leave me with a permanent live and drain the battery, as the OP said they have to turn off the HU manually. Is this, indeed, the case? And if so, will simply popping the face off the stereo be sufficient to switch it off and preserve the battery?

Secondly: the steering wheel control wiring loom thingy appears to be a much more elegant solution to the problem, but as I'm currently trying to install a 30 quid jobbie to tide me over until I can gather the funds for the HU I have my eye on, I don't really want to fork out 90/100 quid to get a 30 quid stereo to work. Are there any similar but cheaper products that will solve the power issue, that anyone knows of? I'm quite happy to forego the steering wheel controls if needs be.

Thanks in advance!

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nottsknots » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:39 am

Nottnowcato wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 am
Splicing together the red and yellow wires on the wiring loom seems like a nice easy fix (if indeed it works) but I'm mildly concerned this will leave me with a permanent live and drain the battery, as the OP said they have to turn off the HU manually. Is this, indeed, the case?

And if so, will simply popping the face off the stereo be sufficient to switch it off and preserve the battery?

Are there any similar but cheaper products that will solve the power issue, that anyone knows of?
1) You shouldnt have to join wires, just swap red and yellow; I had to on mine, and never did work,out exactly why :twisted:

2) Depends on you HU.

3) Dunno (not helpful, I know, but thought I should answer all the questions, rather than just ignore one.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Nottnowcato
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Nottnowcato » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:06 am

Thank you!

Hmmmm.

Doh!
(In that order)

Looks like I'm just going to have to dick about with it and see if crossing wires over will make it work. I really don't want to dismantle the interior of my car looking for a live wire or start dicking about with the fuseboard without having a clue what I'm doing :D

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Chuck up a link to the HU you're using and the ISO cable, and what you try to connect to what, and we'll help you get there :D

Dont expect us to do it for you, but give us enough info, and we can point you in the right direction.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Nottnowcato
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Nottnowcato » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:41 am

Haha! You're a gentleman and a scholar, sir.

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/ca ... KDC-210UI/
That's the HU

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoleads-PC2- ... r=1&_rdt=1
And this is the ISO adapter.

So far I've only got as far as trying to plug & play, and attempting switching the yellow and pink wires on the back of the HU (I had to do that with my old Corsa) to no avail.
I've tried to figure out how to get the trim off to get to the wiring for the cigarette lighter (no hope) and sussed out how to get to the fuseboard, and can probably run a cable from there, but I have no multimeter, nor knowledge of how to use one, and haven'ta clue which is this multitude of fuses I might need to fiddle with.
I'm generally happy to have a bash at things, but I'm also a complete novice and entirely out of my depth :D :D :D

david in germany
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by david in germany » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:52 pm

You guys need to run the constant power from the radio to a free constant power point in the fuse box or the battery in the back. Nothing more, nothing less.
2009 E87 118i, Bilsetin B8 with BMW Performance Springs filled with audio gear. <-mine
2011 E90 328i M Sport, 335I brake upgrade. <- wifes
2009 E90 335I Msport , Cobb tune, Other stuff. <- Mine

Jaydennn96

Post by Jaydennn96 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Nottnowcato wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:41 am
Haha! You're a gentleman and a scholar, sir.

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/ca ... KDC-210UI/
That's the HU

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoleads-PC2- ... r=1&_rdt=1
And this is the ISO adapter.

So far I've only got as far as trying to plug & play, and attempting switching the yellow and pink wires on the back of the HU (I had to do that with my old Corsa) to no avail.
I've tried to figure out how to get the trim off to get to the wiring for the cigarette lighter (no hope) and sussed out how to get to the fuseboard, and can probably run a cable from there, but I have no multimeter, nor knowledge of how to use one, and haven'ta clue which is this multitude of fuses I might need to fiddle with.
I'm generally happy to have a bash at things, but I'm also a complete novice and entirely out of my depth :D :D :D
Just join together your red and yellow wire in the iso harness, i dont understand why you havent done this? Quickest and easiest method.

Nottnowcato
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Nottnowcato » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:39 pm

As above, I'm concerned this will leave my stereo on a constant live and drain my battery ovenight. I'll be running a boot sub off it too, so if they're both running on a permanent live I'm gonna spend a lot of time jump-starting my car. :shock:

Jaydennn96

Post by Jaydennn96 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:47 pm

it isnt a permenant live, its actually only activated once the car is unlocked. I have had this method on my 120d for 2 months now with a sub, no issues at all :)

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”