Loss in power - DPF??

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

mr_kpt

Loss in power - DPF??

Post by mr_kpt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi,

I have an E87 120d (08 Reg) and recently, the car has been very sluggish, especially when overtaking or putting my foot down. My DPF regeneration light appeared last week, (which I admit is partly my fault due to not taking the car for a long run for a while) - I will take the car on a long run this weekend however could this be the problem for the loss in power?

The light has appeared in the past however I've never noticed such a dramatic loss in power... hoping someone can provide some advice, perhaps from a similar past experience?

thanks!

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Loss in power - DPF??

Post by marco_polo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Yes, DPF certainly sounds plausible.

Neglected for too long, or you simply bought the wrong car in the first place. Petrols are far better suited to short commutes really.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Nottnowcato
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nottnowcato » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:04 pm

Assuming the dpf regen works the same way in our cars as it did in my Corsa, it's crucial NOT to stop driving when the regen light comes on, keep on driving until the process is complete and the light goes off. I'm not 100% on the mechanics so I'll defer to the wisdom of these other fine fellas, but the way it was explained to me is that it regenerates by super-heating the exhaust to burn off the gunk, which it does by pumping in more fuel. If you're stopping and starting before the regeneration is complete, all the extra fuel isn't getting burnt off and ends up in the sump, contaminating the engine oil. And as everyone knows, watered-down engine oil can cause extremely expensive damage to your engine.
This is what happened to my old car (luckily caught by a dashboard light before it cost me thousands rather than hundreds) and ultimately made it completely impractical for me to drive a diesel. I don't do enough sustained high-rev miles to keep a dpf clear, and having to drive a round for an extra fifteen/twenty minutes if the light comes on when I'm nearly at my destination would be a MASSIVE pain in the arse.

I realise this doesn't help with your limp mode, but it's pretty important information that I didn't have when I needed it, so I thought I'd share. With regard to your immediate problem though, my colleague at work had a similar issue with his focus, he found there's a fuel additive you can buy that claims to help keep a dpf clear, and hasn't had any problems since he used it, so that might be worth a Google. But yeah, ultimately you might have to look at whether a petrol is more practical.

stevesurrey

Post by stevesurrey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:32 pm

In a BMW you don't get a dashboard warning light telling you when a regen is in progress.
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

mr_kpt

Post by mr_kpt » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks for the advice...

Managed to get a bottle of Wynn's DPF Regenerator for £10 and took a trip down to London (approx. 180 miles round trip).

The car's performance is back to normal and the warning light hasn't appeared for the last few days so I'm assuming the regen was successful :D

Not sure if its down to the additive or just the fact that I took the car on a decent run?? - either way, can't complain for £10!

Nottnowcato
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nottnowcato » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:11 pm

mr_kpt wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:06 pm
Thanks for the advice...

Managed to get a bottle of Wynn's DPF Regenerator for £10 and took a trip down to London (approx. 180 miles round trip).

The car's performance is back to normal and the warning light hasn't appeared for the last few days so I'm assuming the regen was successful :D

Not sure if its down to the additive or just the fact that I took the car on a decent run?? - either way, can't complain for £10!
Always good to hear about a successful fix! Especially for only a tenner. Might be worth chucking a bottle of the Wynns stuff in there every so often as a preventative measure, if the car doesn't get many motorway miles.

(Unless someone who knows more about engines would advise otherwise? I welcome being corrected, knowledge is power. )

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”