E82 125i coupe or convertible

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis

Fullback15

E82 125i coupe or convertible

Post by Fullback15 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:49 pm

I've given up on anything N47 related and am now actively looking for a 125i, preferably a coupe but will consider a convertible.
Not many suitable coupe models around but a few low mileage soft tops on Autotrader and eBay. Max budget is £7500ish. I've used Arnie's excellent v-check service as an initial check on a couple of potentials, and other than a small mileage anomaly on one ( could be human error) they seem to check out. Neglect related MOT failures are common on most I've viewed online, with leaking fluid from shocks, along with tyres, lights etc the main reason.

As I know very little about cars and the few potentials I've identified (2008/09/10 reg) are a long way from home so unable to bring someone knowledgeable to inspect, could anyone recommend a pre- purchase inspection service? Most reviews of the AA inspection appear to be grim so not considered them. Obviously 10-11 year old vehicles will not be perfect but would like to reduce the risks of buying a dud! If I go for a convertible I'm guessing a 10 year old hood may have a few issues - would be interested to hear from anyone with a vert. Also, with my lack of knowledge probably best to steer clear of private sales.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: E82 125i coupe or convertible

Post by marco_polo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:53 pm

Fullback15 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:49 pm
As I know very little about cars and the few potentials I've identified (2008/09/10 reg) are a long way from home so unable to bring someone knowledgeable to inspect, could anyone recommend a pre- purchase inspection service? ....... Also, with my lack of knowledge probably best to steer clear of private sales.
If you're travelling a long way to view, most garage warranties won't be very helpful as they'll want the car back. Might as well buy private?

Luckily the vast majority of 125i Coupes will be good cars, they're pretty bullet proof.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Fullback15

Post by Fullback15 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks MP, good point re warranties.

Just missed a 2010 coupe with 55000 mls on eBay with FBMWSH!

CoupeSilver
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CoupeSilver » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Personally, i'm not a convertable fan, at least not for the UK.

Specifcally:

The coupe is stiffer chassied le (true for pretty much every car available wtih the two options, except maybe the likes of porsche, ferrari etc) so will handle just a touch more sharply
The coupe is ligher
The coupe is quicker (if approx half a second 0-60 matters to you)
The coupe has less to go wrong - no roof mechansim etc to break
The coupe will have more boot space (with the roof down on the convertable)
The coupe will be warmer in winter
The coupe has far less risk of water getting in to the interior during winter
The coupe will (probably) be quieter at motorway speeds
Titanium Silver E82 125i M-Sport Coupe (2011)

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:31 pm

Coupe is more secure.
Coupe's roof won't get stained by bird droppings, tree sap, grease and algae.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Fullback15

Post by Fullback15 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks everyone, all good points and appreciate the advice. Probably explains why there are so few coupe models around (within my budget and mileage requirements)...and quite a few convertibles for sale.

The verts I've looked at seem to have a mix of the cheapest budget RF tyres - if you change tyres where does the spare wheel go? only room for a carrier bag in a vert with the hood down! Will continue with my search for a coupe although not too many coming up on eBay and Autotrader. Tried BMW AUC but nothing doing there either.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:17 pm

No room for a spare I'm afraid. A 17" steel spacesaver from an E46 is a popular choice, plus a goop mobility kit.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”