E82 125i coupe or convertible

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

Fullback15

E82 125i coupe or convertible

Post by Fullback15 »

I've given up on anything N47 related and am now actively looking for a 125i, preferably a coupe but will consider a convertible.
Not many suitable coupe models around but a few low mileage soft tops on Autotrader and eBay. Max budget is £7500ish. I've used Arnie's excellent v-check service as an initial check on a couple of potentials, and other than a small mileage anomaly on one ( could be human error) they seem to check out. Neglect related MOT failures are common on most I've viewed online, with leaking fluid from shocks, along with tyres, lights etc the main reason.

As I know very little about cars and the few potentials I've identified (2008/09/10 reg) are a long way from home so unable to bring someone knowledgeable to inspect, could anyone recommend a pre- purchase inspection service? Most reviews of the AA inspection appear to be grim so not considered them. Obviously 10-11 year old vehicles will not be perfect but would like to reduce the risks of buying a dud! If I go for a convertible I'm guessing a 10 year old hood may have a few issues - would be interested to hear from anyone with a vert. Also, with my lack of knowledge probably best to steer clear of private sales.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: E82 125i coupe or convertible

Post by marco_polo »

Fullback15 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:49 pm
As I know very little about cars and the few potentials I've identified (2008/09/10 reg) are a long way from home so unable to bring someone knowledgeable to inspect, could anyone recommend a pre- purchase inspection service? ....... Also, with my lack of knowledge probably best to steer clear of private sales.
If you're travelling a long way to view, most garage warranties won't be very helpful as they'll want the car back. Might as well buy private?

Luckily the vast majority of 125i Coupes will be good cars, they're pretty bullet proof.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Fullback15

Post by Fullback15 »

Thanks MP, good point re warranties.

Just missed a 2010 coupe with 55000 mls on eBay with FBMWSH!

CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

Personally, i'm not a convertable fan, at least not for the UK.

Specifcally:

The coupe is stiffer chassied le (true for pretty much every car available wtih the two options, except maybe the likes of porsche, ferrari etc) so will handle just a touch more sharply
The coupe is ligher
The coupe is quicker (if approx half a second 0-60 matters to you)
The coupe has less to go wrong - no roof mechansim etc to break
The coupe will have more boot space (with the roof down on the convertable)
The coupe will be warmer in winter
The coupe has far less risk of water getting in to the interior during winter
The coupe will (probably) be quieter at motorway speeds
Titanium Silver E82 125i M-Sport Coupe (2011)

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Coupe is more secure.
Coupe's roof won't get stained by bird droppings, tree sap, grease and algae.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Fullback15

Post by Fullback15 »

Thanks everyone, all good points and appreciate the advice. Probably explains why there are so few coupe models around (within my budget and mileage requirements)...and quite a few convertibles for sale.

The verts I've looked at seem to have a mix of the cheapest budget RF tyres - if you change tyres where does the spare wheel go? only room for a carrier bag in a vert with the hood down! Will continue with my search for a coupe although not too many coming up on eBay and Autotrader. Tried BMW AUC but nothing doing there either.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

No room for a spare I'm afraid. A 17" steel spacesaver from an E46 is a popular choice, plus a goop mobility kit.

Fullback15

Post by Fullback15 »

I took the plunge and collected a 2008 black 125i convertible yesterday for my wife, mileage 51000 - car not the wife! I arranged a pre purchase inspection and all went well. A couple of issues highlighted; a few small marks on the alloys, drivers seat a little worn, and a service overdue. Drove around 80 miles home and everything felt very smooth and tight - until a loud ping and a red triangle with exclamation mark! My immediate thoughts were timing belt, water pump and a whole raft of other issues. Pulled over to check the manual before calling the dealer and discovered this is the service due warning, a bit excessive for a service! Opie Oil order being delivered tomorrow along with oil, air and pollen filters. Naively I tried to order a fuel filter but was told its for life. Also ordered hood cleaner/sealant, wax and sealant.

The A12 was busy and average speed was between 50-65 - fuel consumption 41 MPG. Really liked the feel of the car, everything smooth and easy, better visibility than I imagined and a nice sound. One benefit of a vert is that I most likely won't be of much interest to Tweeney and co. so good for the bank balance. Will definitely get this remapped, does a remap make any difference to the MPG? I have an older X3 3.0d manual and the remap on that increased MPG by about 4-5 mls per gallon.

Greatly appreciate all the advice on here - it's a great site!

bstardchild
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bstardchild »

Fullback15 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:40 am
Will definitely get this remapped, does a remap make any difference to the MPG? I have an older X3 3.0d manual and the remap on that increased MPG by about 4-5 mls per gallon.
Cruising at motorway speeds my 125i coupe before remapping would average 30 mpg - after remapping 34 mpg

But that's not the best bit it's the way the engine sings up to the red line - before it was like waiting for a bus after 5000 rpm

Fullback15

Post by Fullback15 »

Thanks BC, sorting out a few essentials before I remap. Just changed the oil and all filters. Oil filter was fairly mucky suggesting it had been some time since an oil change. Also need to make a decision on tyres - two Contisport contact 6 on the front almost new, same on rear with about 1500 mls left. Will probably opt for Michelin Crossclimate on all four, although a cheaper option would be two new contisports on the rear!

One little issue is in 5th gear changing to 6th it seems to occasionally want to slot in to 4th. May be something to do with my driving!

Fullback15

Post by Fullback15 »

I've just had the gearbox and diff oils changed yesterday at my local garage on an e88 125i. I asked the mechanic to give it a once over and he mentioned the following: Front brake pads low and discs lipped. Back of rear discs corroded. Rear abs rings out of shape (I assume these are reluctor rings?)

Could anyone recommend reasonably priced replacement discs and pads? My wife drives at a fairly leisurely pace if this helps!

Dale1uk

Post by Dale1uk »

Providing it's running 300mm discs front and back then

Front discs:

Brembo high carbon, coated discs here. Use code POP15 for an extra 15%off

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232940786728

Rears

Again Brembo high carbon, coated discs, and use the same code for the discount

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333475209998
2007 E87 130i M Sport

Fullback15

Post by Fullback15 »

Thanks for the link Dale, rear discs showing as not compatible - will email the vendor.

The last two occasions I've used the 125i vert a small amber flashing triangle has appeared, the car has hesitated and stuttered (similar to a diesel with a DPF problem) If I press the DTC button all seems ok...if I switch this off the stutter and loss of power returns. Could this have anything to do with the soon to be replaced out of shape reluctor ring? Or possibly rear tyres a bit low on thread but perfectly legal, also to be replaced soon?

stevesurrey

Post by stevesurrey »

E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

Fullback15

Post by Fullback15 »

Hi Steve, thank you very much for this, very helpful. Car is going in next week to my local garage.

New discs and pads all round as well!

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”