I drive question

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

Michmash/eddie

I drive question

Post by Michmash/eddie »

Evening all,

I know the common stereos are either the business or the pro, my last 1 series has the bmw pro with the under seat speakers and it sounded amazing.

I’m going to look at another 1 series but it has the I drive so the stereo is different, are these any good for sound quality?

twg1994
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: I drive question

Post by twg1994 »

Michmash/eddie wrote:Evening all,

I know the common stereos are either the business or the pro, my last 1 series has the bmw pro with the under seat speakers and it sounded amazing.

I’m going to look at another 1 series but it has the I drive so the stereo is different, are these any good for sound quality?
The built in amps are generally better than the pro head units and those with idrive from the factory tend to have hifi or logic 7/harman kardon too, which further enhances the sound.
130i Limited Edition - CIC retrofit activated with patcher V2 - Combox retrofit - Full logic 7 retrofit - CC retrofit - Powerfold retrofit - Heated seat retrofit :spotman:

donnelly2520

Post by donnelly2520 »

I ve got an E82 2010 with the idrive, would this be a harman/Kardon system?

twg1994
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by twg1994 »

donnelly2520 wrote:I ve got an E82 2010 with the idrive, would this be a harman/Kardon system?
Have you got tweeters in the corners of the doors? If yes, then when you go to change the sound settings in the idrive do you have an equaliser? If yes you have harman/kardon, if not but have tweeters you'll have hifi, unless they e been retrofitted, if neither you have base audio.
130i Limited Edition - CIC retrofit activated with patcher V2 - Combox retrofit - Full logic 7 retrofit - CC retrofit - Powerfold retrofit - Heated seat retrofit :spotman:

donnelly2520

Post by donnelly2520 »

Hi and thanks for your reply,

Yes i have the tweeters in the doors and yes i have the equalizer in the idrive all standard,

Thing is the sound is ok but nothing compared to my 2 series which has HK sound.

twg1994
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by twg1994 »

donnelly2520 wrote:Hi and thanks for your reply,

Yes i have the tweeters in the doors and yes i have the equalizer in the idrive all standard,

Thing is the sound is ok but nothing compared to my 2 series which has HK sound.
Have a play around with the eq. Mines in a shallow c curve, lows being + mids gradually going to the - and then going back + for the highs. Turning the surround sound on makes it better to. The HK in my car sounds a million times better than any HK ive heard in F2x cars.

The quality of the audio file itself also has a big impact. If you have a combox, try streaming through spotify with the equalizer on your phone flat. The sound quality is tremendous.

twg1994
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by twg1994 »

twg1994 wrote:
donnelly2520 wrote:Hi and thanks for your reply,

Have a play around with the eq. Mines in a shallow c curve, lows being + mids gradually going to the - and then going back + for the highs. Turning the surround sound on makes it better to. The HK in my car sounds a million times better than any HK ive heard in F2x cars.

The quality of the audio file itself also has a big impact. If you have a combox, try streaming through spotify with the equalizer on your phone flat. The sound quality is tremendous.
Following on from that, unplugging the rear tweeters can also enhance the sound as it brings the sound stage further forward, although that's personal preference.

donnelly2520

Post by donnelly2520 »

Thanks for advice, i ll give it a go tomorrow, i ve never really played about with the equalizer,

Is there a way to stream music from the phone without having to plug it in from the aux in the middle console?
Bluetooth works for making calls but as far as I'm aware needs plugging in for music.

twg1994
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by twg1994 »

donnelly2520 wrote:Thanks for advice, i ll give it a go tomorrow, i ve never really played about with the equalizer,

Is there a way to stream music from the phone without having to plug it in from the aux in the middle console?
Bluetooth works for making calls but as far as I'm aware needs plugging in for music.
Read up on a combox retrofit, assuming you have a CIC (fixed screen) idrive. It allows enhanced bluetooth to stream music over it.

donnelly2520

Post by donnelly2520 »

Hi again and thanks for the advice,
I ve been playing about with the equalizer but am still struggling to get the best sound, i m sure once i get it perfectly set this could possibly sound better than my HK sound in the 2 series.
I also got a quote for the combox to be fitted, i would need a nav system update at the same time so £440+100 for the update, around 3 hours work with JAY BMW RETROFITS based in kent.
I will leave it until after Christmas then see.

twg1994
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by twg1994 »

donnelly2520 wrote:Hi again and thanks for the advice,
I ve been playing about with the equalizer but am still struggling to get the best sound, i m sure once i get it perfectly set this could possibly sound better than my HK sound in the 2 series.
I also got a quote for the combox to be fitted, i would need a nav system update at the same time so £440+100 for the update, around 3 hours work with JAY BMW RETROFITS based in kent.
I will leave it until after Christmas then see.
Nav update? He may be pulling your leg. And 3 hours work is way over the top. Took me half an hour to take out the mulf and TCU, repin and reinstall. Coding takes all of 5 mins. Combox cost me about £100, then maybe 3 quid for the new plugs from cotswold.

I got my combox coded at the same time i got my CIC coded though, but as far as I'm aware, all CIC software versions should be able to use a combox.

donnelly2520

Post by donnelly2520 »

cheers, for the heads up

twg1994
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by twg1994 »

donnelly2520 wrote:cheers, for the heads up
Have you already got a TCU and MULF in the boot? Under the boot lining? If so he definitely is trying to have you over. If not it would explain the 3 hours as he would have to run the wiring.

If you do, I'm more than happy to help you with part numbers and pinouts, then you just need to get coding sorted.

donnelly2520

Post by donnelly2520 »

Not sure, I ll need to check, the quote was based on me giving him my VIN number,
I m no DIY er therefore would rather leave it to the professionals.
Your offer of help is much appreciated.

Jack79
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Jack79 »

Twh1994. Did you bougt combox media or telematic? I made adapter from MULF to COMBOX, but i still not sure if i need telematic function, cause they do not work. Did you done coding by yourself?

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”