How much is a new crankshaft?

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin

ewora

How much is a new crankshaft?

Post by ewora »

It seems as my luck is running out with the 116i I purchased 3 years ago. In the last 4 months I had to replace the DMF, clutch, 2x driveshafts, and now I'm facing a serious issue. The car showed low oil pressure, but only occasionally and at idle. So I took it to the shop I trust the most (they show all parts they take out, and they are honest and transparent). Hooked it up do a diagnostic device, and it showed low pressure at idle. At higher revs it gets to the safe zone. The problem is, there is no way of diagnosing the fault without taking apart the bottom of the engine. According to the shop, at best I could be looking at a clogged oil pickup line, or at worst even a new engine. How much does a job like replacing bearings or even a whole crankchaft costs? Is it something worth doing on a 12 year old car?

Autosri
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: How much is a new crankshaft?

Post by Autosri »

Put a different engine in it you will spend a fortune if your paying labour and there never quite the same after they have been that far apart

AP1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AP1 »

It may have a cracked oil pump pick up pipe.

Dano1bfc
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dano1bfc »

Hey bud ...

I have no doubts your garage is reputable but s faulty oil pressure sender will throw major codes .

Cheap as chips and replaced 2 in the last 5 year .

I really hope this helps bud if there’s a major fault u can usually hear it .Therefore be careful.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”