Can anyone give me any ideas on what is wrong with my car

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

tweeky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Can anyone give me any ideas on what is wrong with my car

Post by tweeky »

Winner.
Current 2018 F22 M240i Sunset Orange Black leather with lumber support, Pro Nav, Adaptive LEDs, HK, Sunroof F&R PDC.
Gone 2015 F22 220D Melbourne Red loaded with many extras.
Gone 2012 E82 Space Grey 118D Sports Plus standard spec.
bmwdrivergirl

Post by bmwdrivergirl »

I drove it back home, all well but then 5 miles away the triangle started flashing again and can't go above 60mph. He showed me the abs sensor and reluctor ring which was corroded and abs sensor was worn away. Is this normal? Do I need to drive it for a while to wear it in or what?
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo »

No wearing in required, it's either perfect, or it's broken.

Did they 100% definitely fit the correct part number ABS sensor for your VIN number? There are at least 2 types, and it's got to be correct.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Currently saving up for some Pork....
bmwdrivergirl

Post by bmwdrivergirl »

marco_polo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:28 pm No wearing in required, it's either perfect, or it's broken.

Did they 100% definitely fit the correct part number ABS sensor for your VIN number? There are at least 2 types, and it's got to be correct.
I have no idea. I didn't know they had to do such thing. He mainly deals with German cars so I assume he knows what he is doing but just annoyed that the problem is persisting. Going round roundabouts and bumps is fine, just when I go above 60mph then it started kicking in and so I had to turn dtc off again.
tweeky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tweeky »

Silly question did they do both sides (I'm guessing they have them on both sides)
Current 2018 F22 M240i Sunset Orange Black leather with lumber support, Pro Nav, Adaptive LEDs, HK, Sunroof F&R PDC.
Gone 2015 F22 220D Melbourne Red loaded with many extras.
Gone 2012 E82 Space Grey 118D Sports Plus standard spec.
marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Having to turn the DTC off is a classic rear ABS / Reluctor symptom, so at least we're on the right track.

Did they inspect both sides?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

bmwdrivergirl

Post by bmwdrivergirl »

Yes both sides he replaced abs sensor and reluctor rings.
waikatowilly

Post by waikatowilly »

had similar issues but might not be your problems

DTC and triangle , would come on randomly, I did the steering lock to lock recommended on the forums, this "calibrates" the steering angle sensor, so far so good no more DTC error, this was after I cleaned all the abs rings and sensors which made no difference

Also of all things a loose positive terminal on my battery would make the whole dash board throw a wobbly, only found this by chance, random abs error all the time then big christmas trees, tightened the terminal all fixed
bmwdrivergirl

Post by bmwdrivergirl »

waikatowilly wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:09 pm had similar issues but might not be your problems

DTC and triangle , would come on randomly, I did the steering lock to lock recommended on the forums, this "calibrates" the steering angle sensor, so far so good no more DTC error, this was after I cleaned all the abs rings and sensors which made no difference

Also of all things a loose positive terminal on my battery would make the whole dash board throw a wobbly, only found this by chance, random abs error all the time then big christmas trees, tightened the terminal all fixed
Thank you. I never knew steering can possibly cause it. I have watched a YouTube vid on how to calibrate it, I will do it when I go out later on. I'm just so annoyed to be honest that the issue is still there. I have to drive back to England in a couple of weeks for a funeral so the last thing I need is the car playing up / being undrivable.
bmwdrivergirl

Post by bmwdrivergirl »

Well I spoke to the mechanic and he said it possible that the wheel bearing has gone. Is that even possible?! One thing after another.
marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Are any of the wheel bearings squealing after a drive? Can he demonstrate that a wheel is loose/wobbly/graunching?

If you plug a decent code reader into the OBDII port and go for a drive, you should be able to see the live information coming from each ABS sensor, that should reveal something. (Obviously doesn't work when stationary!)

bmwdrivergirl

Post by bmwdrivergirl »

marco_polo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:11 pm Are any of the wheel bearings squealing after a drive? Can he demonstrate that a wheel is loose/wobbly/graunching?

If you plug a decent code reader into the OBDII port and go for a drive, you should be able to see the live information coming from each ABS sensor, that should reveal something. (Obviously doesn't work when stationary!)
I can't hear any squealing at all... Perhaps that needs doing I will ring the mechanic again but can wheel bearing also cause abs / dtc problems like flashing etc., like I did before I had reluctor rings and sensor changed?
marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Possibly, if the driveshaft was wobbling around enough. I'd want it demonstrated that it's poorly though, before agreeing to more expensive work.

Do they have access to a half-decent code reader they can use at 60mph? Need to see those ABS/wheel speed readings.

Avon
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Avon »

bmwdrivergirl wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:21 pm I can't hear any squealing at all... Perhaps that needs doing I will ring the mechanic again but can wheel bearing also cause abs / dtc problems like flashing etc., like I did before I had reluctor rings and sensor changed?
I would be surprised if it did. I had the rear bearing completely fail (you could wobble the wheel like it wasn't attached) and i had no errors on the dash.

If you have a code reader or can get a cheap Bluetooth one (if you have an android) you can see if it is a moaning about a bad sensor.
Deroy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Deroy »

+1 on codes. In fact a more thorough analysis in the electrical circuitry is needed. Battery, cables, signals from sensors etc.

Cannot help but think your mechanic is just that; an old skool nuts and wrenches guy. Not a modern can analist with laptop.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”