E87 M sport Rear bumper Painting Advice?

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

Nyxeris
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: E87 M sport Rear bumper Painting Advice?

Post by Nyxeris »

bobwibbles wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:49 pm I've without realizing sanded down this natural shape of the bumper a tiny bit more than the rest. Worth re filling?
Yep, fill it 1mm or so proud of the original contour, then shape it back.

I would buy some 240g and 320g paper and use those where you've burned through to plastic. Don't go near those areas with 120 again if you can avoid it. 400g paper won't take out deeper sanding marks from the 120, so if you haven't got high-build primer you might need to go over any heavily scuffed areas with ultra thin layers of filler then level off with the 400 before priming.

If you have any flat black left over from the diffuser, that will work as guide coat to help with sanding :thumbs:
E81 130i | Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!
bobwibbles
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by bobwibbles »

Nyxeris wrote:
bobwibbles wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:49 pm I've without realizing sanded down this natural shape of the bumper a tiny bit more than the rest. Worth re filling?
Yep, fill it 1mm or so proud of the original contour, then shape it back.

I would buy some 240g and 320g paper and use those where you've burned through to plastic. Don't go near those areas with 120 again if you can avoid it. 400g paper won't take out deeper sanding marks from the 120, so if you haven't got high-build primer you might need to go over any heavily scuffed areas with ultra thin layers of filler then level off with the 400 before priming.

If you have any flat black left over from the diffuser, that will work as guide coat to help with sanding :thumbs:
Cheers nyxeris. Turns out I had 240 grit and I have wetsanded the whole bumper all over with that.

Looks like I may need a 3rd round of filler then. I shall apply as little as possible but enough to follow the contour of the bumper.
ATM waiting for bumper to dry after wetsanding Ill then apply filler then give it a rest for today.

Tomorrow I will be sanding again fixing up the contour. Then hoping to move on to 400 after 240 to get the smooth finish on the bumper.

Then the tense but rewarding process of applying first coat of primer either tomorrow or day after.
Hopefully in the weekend basecoat and lacquer.

Also bought myself some aids for the process.
A spray gun can holder
And flat fan nozzles for the spray cans to swap out with to make things easier !

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

bobwibbles
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by bobwibbles »

Somewhat refilled the natural contours of the bumper. Here's hoping that's enough filling might need 4th round to perfect it.Image

bobwibbles
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by bobwibbles »

GeoMcc wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:09 pm 400 can be a little coarse when using metallic or pearl paints, but would be good for a key for the primer. You can also get scotchbrite pads for surface prep where the surface is sound. They are like the green scouring pads used for washing dishes, but tougher. 800 wet and dry is good for flatting primer to take a base & clear. if you go too fine you can lose the key and the paint doesn't stick properly.

My suggestions would be largely reinforcing what others have said. If you use rattle cans try and get the 2k clearcoat, and use it all. The clearcoat can't really be too thick, but make sure you give it enough flash time (between coats) otherwise you can get bubbles form in the higher levels, and you have to sand it all off and start again.

High build primer helps with filling any scratch marks from earlier filling. Use a guide coat when flatting the primer (available as dry rub on, or any paint you have spare in a contrasting colour to the primer), just give a really light dusting so you can see which bits you have sanded, and use the biggest sanding blocks you can to keep everything flat.

I wouldn't ordinarily sand a base coat, but if it goes on particularly orange peely then you might have to, otherwise the orange peel will show through the lacquer.

As for blending, you can't really do it without a spray gun. You would probably be ok with the colour, as you can move the can away from the panel to blend it out, but to edge the lacquer you really need to be able to thin it, and the final coat is pretty much all thinners.

Cleanliness is one of the most important things when applying the base and clear, tack rags help make sure all the dust is removed from the surface.

Good work so far, and the pictures really say so much more than words ever could. At least it isn't silver! That is so hard to match, with some even the direction the gun is moving changes the way the flakes lay. I look forward to seeing the finished result.

As for that bit you think is out of shape, if you think it is wrong, re-fill it and use a longer sanding block if you can.
Sometimes getting a first coat of primer can help you see things better as it covers all the sand-through marks that lead the eye. A straight edge or profile guide will show you how far out it is. You need to get it right before the colour goes on, or you will be starting again, and since it looks like that is the top edge of the bumper if it isn't right and you know it isn't right you will see it every time you use the boot.
Thank you mate for taking your time out.
So now with your advice and from the other reply I'm thinking fill those bits that need refilling (which I've done waiting to sand it tomorrow)
Sand the filled bits down with 240 grit now? As I've moved up to that don't want to cause scratches or issues with 120.
Then imma wetsand 400 the whole thing after the fillings have been sorted wirh the 240
Then prime carefully
After priming first coat somehow dust over some paint and sand it all out with 800
Then 2nd and 3rd coat primer
Then basecoat.

Or I can even sand after 2nd and 3rd primer too.

I definitely agree need to sort out that part if I'm looking at the boot and see the slightly off line I'll have that ache in my heart knowing if only I took that extra 20 mins that time ago when I did this job.

If this works out imma stick on a spoiler and sand and paint it too! If it doesn't I'll sit down and stop 🤣
GeoMcc
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by GeoMcc »

If you are using high build primer then 240 will be fine, but if you want more control 400 will take less off.

With primer, definitely flat it back before the colour. As for flatting between coats, if it stays wet and you are layering up, obviously you can't sand wet. If it dries, flat it back. With base and clear the base coat will normally end up so thin that it can't flow over imperfections. The finish of the primer is ultimately the surface you will see as you look through the clear at the colour.

Something I forgot to say, don't wet sand filler. It's more of an issue when on metal, but filler isn't waterproof.

From where you are I would 240 the filler to shape.
High build primer x3 or 4 just flashing off between coats, let it dry, guide coat, flat with 800
Repeat previous step. Once the surface is perfectly smooth it is ready for colour and clear. Very light first coat, then a couple more to get the coverage, and finally a mist coat to get some flake up on edge.
Once that has dried put the lacquer on. If it has time to flow out, you might get a good enough finish from the gun/can.
If you want the surface flatter, give it time to dry then block it with wet 1500, then 2000 until you have a really smooth Matt finish, which you then need to polish up with G3. Quickest with a rotary polisher, but also very easy to polish through.

If the colour goes on well and the paint technology is the same you CAN do what is known as wet-on-wet where you go straight to lacquer, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first job.

I just did a quick search and there are loads of videos about guide coat on YouTube, if you are still unclear on it. Any colour of cheap aerosol will do as long as you can see it against the primer. It should be a misting so thin that it comes off with the first pass of sandpaper.

It can be really satisfying, I hope that is what you are finding. My first time doing something like this was a pair of door mirrors on a metro. It took me a week of evenings, just to do an area the size of my palm on each mirror, I was very happy when they were done though
2010 E81 120d 6MT, Le Mans Blue, 208s, Xenons, Shadowline, Privacy Glass
bobwibbles
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by bobwibbles »

GeoMcc wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:34 pm If you are using high build primer then 240 will be fine, but if you want more control 400 will take less off.

With primer, definitely flat it back before the colour. As for flatting between coats, if it stays wet and you are layering up, obviously you can't sand wet. If it dries, flat it back. With base and clear the base coat will normally end up so thin that it can't flow over imperfections. The finish of the primer is ultimately the surface you will see as you look through the clear at the colour.

Something I forgot to say, don't wet sand filler. It's more of an issue when on metal, but filler isn't waterproof.

From where you are I would 240 the filler to shape.
High build primer x3 or 4 just flashing off between coats, let it dry, guide coat, flat with 800
Repeat previous step. Once the surface is perfectly smooth it is ready for colour and clear. Very light first coat, then a couple more to get the coverage, and finally a mist coat to get some flake up on edge.
Once that has dried put the lacquer on. If it has time to flow out, you might get a good enough finish from the gun/can.
If you want the surface flatter, give it time to dry then block it with wet 1500, then 2000 until you have a really smooth Matt finish, which you then need to polish up with G3. Quickest with a rotary polisher, but also very easy to polish through.

If the colour goes on well and the paint technology is the same you CAN do what is known as wet-on-wet where you go straight to lacquer, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first job.

I just did a quick search and there are loads of videos about guide coat on YouTube, if you are still unclear on it. Any colour of cheap aerosol will do as long as you can see it against the primer. It should be a misting so thin that it comes off with the first pass of sandpaper.

It can be really satisfying, I hope that is what you are finding. My first time doing something like this was a pair of door mirrors on a metro. It took me a week of evenings, just to do an area the size of my palm on each mirror, I was very happy when they were done though
I happened to start working before your reply so I went sanded 240 but also 400. It's mostly smoothe everywhere possibly ready to be primed.
I bought some new nozzles to replace all my can nozzles.
It's a flat fan spraying nozzle so it should make it easier alongside the gun spray can holder to make better coverage with each coat and avoid drip and overrun.

Planning to spray either today or tomorrow little stressed with it but hoping the primer covers up scratches and blemishes that I haven't managed to.
Planning to guide coat after first primer
However ran out of satin black. Is it alright to use spare sapphire black to mist over even though I'll be using as basecoat.
GeoMcc
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by GeoMcc »

There is nothing wrong with shaping the filler with 400, just not normally necessary.

Sapphire black should be fine to use as guide coat, but sounds like an expensive choice.

If you can get inside to paint that will help, even in the sun it is still pretty cold outside.

I look forward to seeing some more pictures.
bobwibbles
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by bobwibbles »

GeoMcc wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:21 pm There is nothing wrong with shaping the filler with 400, just not normally necessary.

Sapphire black should be fine to use as guide coat, but sounds like an expensive choice.

If you can get inside to paint that will help, even in the sun it is still pretty cold outside.

I look forward to seeing some more pictures.
Ah ok that's good.
I think it's mostly done there may be one or two places to fill again but at this point I'm striving for too much perfection I think.
I will be painting inside hopefully first coat primer today then second coat or just first I have a few dust sheets to preserve our rented property :D
Don't want landlord issues.

More pictures soon
GeoMcc
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by GeoMcc »

No such thing as too much perfection in paint. The satisfaction of seeing it look like glass is worth it.
bobwibbles
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by bobwibbles »

Well I ended up sanding a little more and perfecting what I could.
First coat of primer on
I've never been so nervous before. Few splatters of paint but overall a light coat for the first.
bobwibbles
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by bobwibbles »

First coat primer on.Image

I think it wasn't a great performance from myself but hoping to sort issues out with some 800 grit sanding.
Last edited by bobwibbles on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobwibbles
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by bobwibbles »

In terms of guidecoat there's a range of paint for 1.59 from euro car parts if you sort low to high.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/paints

My primer is grey.
Might just get something in blue or red

GeoMcc
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by GeoMcc »

The primer is quite forgiving because you flat it back. Maybe keep priming and flatting until you are confident getting the paint on.

with the guide coat it's probably better to get a solid colour (not pearl or metallic) but it goes on so fine.

A small tip, which hopefully you already know, but do the edges first, and finish with the bit you see most. This is so that the overspray on the main part of the panel from doing the edges gets painted over when you do the main application.

Also make sure you re-mask before you do the colour and clear, that tape is looking tatty, and it likely to have dust and crud in it that could be blown out when painting.
bobwibbles
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by bobwibbles »

GeoMcc wrote:The primer is quite forgiving because you flat it back. Maybe keep priming and flatting until you are confident getting the paint on.

with the guide coat it's probably better to get a solid colour (not pearl or metallic) but it goes on so fine.

A small tip, which hopefully you already know, but do the edges first, and finish with the bit you see most. This is so that the overspray on the main part of the panel from doing the edges gets painted over when you do the main application.

Also make sure you re-mask before you do the colour and clear, that tape is looking tatty, and it likely to have dust and crud in it that could be blown out when painting.
After doing some flatting of the primer a few scratches have come through. What do I do with that?
I can continue sanding with 800 but those scratches almost feel like they came out of nowhere but need taking care of somehow.

And yes I didn't really think about the edges to do them first I watched alot of videos but I did fall asleep watching them sometimes so maybe I missed that detail 🤣

For the next coats I will do that.

ImageImage

bobwibbles
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by bobwibbles »

Had a quick Google apparently you can use filler over primer as long as you prepare the area with 120 ish grit so filler can bite into it.
So I think I'm going to do that after further sanding everywhere else with 800.
This is taking a longggg time but hopefully worth it.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”