FAQ - Traction Control Errors / Random braking / Instability Problems / ABS & DTC Issues

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Danjones777

Re: FAQ - Traction Control Errors / Random braking / Instability Problems / ABS & DTC Issues

Post by Danjones777 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Twenny wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:38 pm
Danjones777 wrote:The fact that the new rings cured it for 5 weeks, and the new back sensors making the symptoms drastically worse yesterday would surely suggest that it's something to do with the back? But I'll certainly get them to produce some live data for all 4 sensors. I'll try anything at the moment
Yes both sensors have failed within a couple of months of each other.

Most annoying as I could of bought 2 at the same time and saved £20.

My fault was popping up every time I started engine but last night it had mysteriously disappeared.

I’ll change it anyway once the sensor arrives.
Ah okay mate, that's sh*t!

Probably a stupid question, but I am awful with car.. the front sensors will give the same symptoms as the back? The DTC light, losing power and car braking etc?

Also, is it normal with this type of issue to mainly occur when on the motorway, I can't go 5 seconds without the light flashing on the motorway but it isn't nearly as bad when I'm going sat below 30/40MPH.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: FAQ - Traction Control Errors / Random braking / Instability Problems / ABS & DTC Issues

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:21 pm

I would expect traction control issues to be limited to the rear sensors, as they're the driven wheels.

Pressing the DTC button (the usual diagnostic test) doesn't effect the ABS in any way.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

daniboy1_2_3

Post by daniboy1_2_3 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi, ive been helping a mate with his car trying to get to the bottom of the traction control and ABS issues hes been having. Similar to a lot of others here the car with cut power with the DTC light flashing and ABS and tyre pressure lights blinking. I suggested getting a fault code reader and connecting up to the car to see whats going on. Unfortunately were not getting any wheel speed information via the fault code reader/app. The app is called torque pro and the box is made by ELM. Can anyone suggest how to get the sensor infornation displayed using torques pro as im unfamiliar with this set up.
I looked at one of the rear sensors/reluctor rings and its pretty corroded and there are signs that the sensor has been coming into contact with it. Before just changing things for the sake of it id really like to see what the sensors are reading though. Any help appreciated.

daniboy1_2_3

Post by daniboy1_2_3 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:56 pm

Forgot to mention its a 2010 series 1 E87 118D

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Can't use Torque pro, it's not that useful sadly.

Witnesses of contact are usually a strong tell-tale, hard to ignore. If you turn the Traction Control fully off, does it temporarily solve the problem? That's the easiest diagnosis.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

daniboy1_2_3

Post by daniboy1_2_3 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. My mate wants to try spacing the sensors out with washers just to see if that cures the problem temporarily but i want to be able to read what all the sensors are doing. Everything can be disabled by holding the traction control button down if thats what you mean but i was hopeing someone could recomend an app that will actually shows us the luve data we need to see.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Can't be done via phone app as far as I know, you'll need a laptop with Esys + correct cables, or possibly a Snap-On computer?

Spacing out with a thin shim/washer can be a good temporary bodge if they're too close (due to ring swell), don't go excessively thick though or the sensors won't read properly then either.

daniboy1_2_3

Post by daniboy1_2_3 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:42 am

Ok thats a shame. The snap on computer is probably a bit out of his reach. I was hopeing soneone could confirm exactly what works to avoid investing in another system that isn't compatible. We need to read the wheel speed sensor information and steering and yaw angle data.

Danjones777

Post by Danjones777 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Traction control issues
Last edited by Danjones777 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Have a look for pattern driveshaft prices on ECP I guess?!

daniboy1_2_3

Post by daniboy1_2_3 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Couldnt wheel bearing wear cause problems with the sensors? If the bearings are shot this could result in the sensor/ring gap becoming inconsistant?

daniboy1_2_3

Post by daniboy1_2_3 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Well a thin washer placed between the sensor and mounting face seems to have cured the problem for now. A bodge i know but it cost kes than a £1 and the car is mot worthy again.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”