New Series 1

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

awase

New Series 1

Post by awase » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi there
so all a bit new to this. However, got my new Series 1 on Friday. Its a 2.0M sport convertible. Got lots of goodies on it and I am currently trying to get t o grip with the technology. So to start a couple of questions. If the answer is already on the forum then please point me in the right direction. So here's the questions:

MPG - its the 170bhp version so realistically what kind of MPG should I be expecting on average if my right foot's not too lively. It seems to be reading somewhere in the mid 20s on the computer atm with combined driving I would expect a bit more that that.

Tool Kit & Jack - don't have them so where's the best place to get them? I ma sure BMW can provide if I am willing to part with an arm or a leg - or both!

Tyres - a few of them will need replacing soon so do I go for runflat or are there alternatives?

Hope that's not too many questions look forwards to taking part in the forum now I am a baby bmw owner

Regards

Awase
Awase
New Owner
Series 1 2.0M Convertible

Jacksteel
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: New Series 1

Post by Jacksteel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Welcome,

Is it a 2.0 petrol (167bhp) or diesel (174bhp)?

Diesel on a run (and gentle on the throttle) should get in the low to mid 50's, petrol in the low 40's

My 120d (remapped) on country roads to work (27 miles each way) and weekends tend to be A-roads, but I'm not exactly shy with my left foot, averages low 30's at a guess, never really check, not that fussed really :lol: :lol:

Tool kit should be under boot floor, but wont have a jack as they didn't come with a spare wheel.

If you don't have a tool kit at all, is it worth buying a BMW one? its sparse at best, and could probably buy better with a few multi-tools and socket set.

Everyone says you should go for non-RFT's. I personally never have, but the ride is very hard, and feels awful if you do hit a pot hole. So probably listen to everyone else who will say swap to non-RFT's.
Current: E81 120d M Sport, Le Man Blue, 313's, Stubby Ariel, BMWP Kidney Grilles, BMWP Exhaust, BMWP Interior Trim, BMWP Gaiters, BMWP F10 Gear Knob, P-Torque remap

Previous: E46 318 Coupe Schwarz Black, Lowered, 5 Series Spider Alloys, Angel Eyes

Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Toed64 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Congratulations on the new car
awase wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:22 pm

MPG - its the 170bhp version so realistically what kind of MPG should I be expecting on average if my right foot's not too lively. It seems to be reading somewhere in the mid 20s on the computer atm with combined driving I would expect a bit more that that.

You were warned, the 4 cylinder petrol BMW motor is not impressively economical, but it will do better on a long gentle run.

Tool Kit & Jack - don't have them so where's the best place to get them? I ma sure BMW can provide if I am willing to part with an arm or a leg - or both!

Ebay - there are always used kits available - you could consider buying a space saver too, then you would have no excuse to buy another set of runcraps.

Tyres - a few of them will need replacing soon so do I go for runflat or are there alternatives?

Lots, buy a good set of proper tyres and you will appreciate the improvement in ride, NVH and improvement in grip too. There's a complete section of forum about tyres. There are some good deals to be had on very good tyres now. My latest 1er came equipped with Michelin Pilot Supersports and they are impressive. I drove a 135i with a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s - lovely.

Very high quality normal tyres are still likely to be cheaper than top brand runcraps.

What size tyres are fitted at the moment?

Last edited by Toed64 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2008 E81 130i
2010 E82 135i - now sold

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by THETYRANT » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:46 pm

If its the 2.0 petrol they are not great on fuel as underpowered for weight of car really so need to thrash it just to get moving, people usually get better mpg from the 3.0 petrol in the 125i/130i etc!....my 130i averages low to mid 30's with mixed use and mid to high 30's on a long steady run, would prob do 40mpg if taking real steady.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

rm1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rm1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:47 pm

2.0 petrol should give 30 + mpg combined and ditch the run flats and replace with cheaper normal tyres of a respected make goodyear, vredestein michelin etc.

awase

Post by awase » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:13 am

Guys
thanks for the responses and advice. I'll post some pictures once I have had it cleaned - my daily commute is town - country! Starting to work a few things out have manage to pair my phone and will look at the computer/settings this weekend.

Regards

Awase
Awase
New Owner

awase

Post by awase » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:13 am

Guys
thanks for the responses and advice. I'll post some pictures once I have had it cleaned - my daily commute is town - country! Starting to work a few things out have manage to pair my phone and will look at the computer/settings this weekend.

Regards

Awase
Awase
New Owner

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”