Strange misfire, N55

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Strange misfire, N55

Post by Mike_RS » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:52 pm

I’m having a very strange issue with my N55, every time I wash the car immediately after there seems to be a misfire on cold start, when the engine is up to temp the misfire completely goes away.

Last week I cleaned the engine bay with a damp detailing brush, cleaning the plastics, strut towers and wiped them down with a microfibre cloth and the misfire was really bad (see video link below). No fault codes are being stored and the coolant isn’t dropping to suggest head gasket issues. After driving the car for 30 mins every subsequent cold start is perfectly fine until I wash it again (even without lifting the bonnet), so I suspect the engine heat is drying something out. It’s completely got me stumped.

https://youtu.be/nTPSs3k7RVo

Does anybody have any advice what might be causing this, car is completely standard and had new spark plugs around a month ago.
Black sapphire metallic - E82 135i N55 - BMWP Exhaust - Suspension - Brakes - Carbon Mirrors - 18" 313 wheels with PS4's - Wagner Downpipe - Wagner Intercooler - LED Darklines

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Strange misfire, N55

Post by markhurley » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:30 pm

So it’s only after you wash the car ? ( engine bay )
Water
Must be getting in to something?
I never ever clean under the bonnet it serves no purpose what’s so ever and generally causes issues ie water Ingres

Maybe check the scuttle drains they could be blocked causing water to get in somewhere? Or round where the ecu is ?
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Dodgy earth strap , loose corroded or chaffed wire ?
I would check them things first.
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Has it only been playing up since fitting the new plugs last month?

Did any of the old plugs look different to the others? Rusty threads? Worn electrode?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mike_RS » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks for the advise guys :)

I don't use water when I detail the engine bay, I use a damp drying towel to wipe down the plastics etc.. but in some of the hard to reach places I used a damp detailing brush and dried it immediately. Does the earth cable sit in front of the strut tower? as this is one of the areas I used the detailing brush on.

The entire engine is new to the car which had new plugs from the factory, my N55 spun a bearing and wrecked the engine. The misfire in the video started after cleaning the car/ engine bay when I got it back. Even on the second occasion I washed it with the bonnet closed it still makes a very slight "blip" every few seconds on a cold start afterwards. I suspect it must be something causing this around the perimeter of the bonnet or front grills as the coils etc. will be out of reach of the water. The drains/catch trays are clear of leaves and debris and I'll check they electronics box is sealed tight tonight.
Black sapphire metallic - E82 135i N55 - BMWP Exhaust - Suspension - Brakes - Carbon Mirrors - 18" 313 wheels with PS4's - Wagner Downpipe - Wagner Intercooler - LED Darklines

Jfk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jfk » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 pm

I had similar issues with a different car (lotus)..
A competent dealer re routed the LT leads to the coil packs and this cured it permanently.
Maybe worth a look where the cables are running .
2010 135 i Coupe in Black

Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Toed64 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:43 pm

How many miles have you done with your new engine?

That sounds like the misfire on mine after the dealership claimed to have changed the plugs, but had cracked 2 coil packs instead!

I'd take it back to BMW - that is just not good enough - get them to sort it out.

Good luck
2008 E81 130i
2010 E82 135i - now sold

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mike_RS » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:40 am

Ive done about 600 miles on the car since I got it back.

I've found the dealers are quick to say "its chargeable" especially since these parts would have been swapped over from my previous engine and have no warranty.. Ive already had the car back with them, and had to threaten them with legal action to replace my damaged aux belt and tensioner free of charge after these were making a horrendous racket.

I doubt they'll replace the coils free of charge and the hours labour they would charge me for bringing the car back to "investigate" this fault would cost me more than buying new coils.

99% of the time the car is working fine, I just need to figure out what's causing this little gremlin!

Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Toed64 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:47 pm

Any joy? Did you find the cause of the misfire?
2008 E81 130i
2010 E82 135i - now sold

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mike_RS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:54 pm

The car is running perfect but I haven't washed it again yet, in the meantime I've checked the electronics are they are dry and sealed in their box.

I'm going to give the car a wash this Saturday and I'll wash the left, right and front of the bonnet separately starting it up in between to try and help locate where about the source of this issue is, its not very scientific but it'll give me an idea of where about this might be coming from before I go down the route of spark plug and coil pack changes.

I picked up some 313's on Sunday so they will be going on this weekend along with a diff oil change :spotman:

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”