DPF warning

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

maverickuk1

DPF warning

Post by maverickuk1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi all having a slight problem with my DPF, the past few days ive been getting in starting the car and sometimes ill get a warning about my DPF needs to be checked, ive given her a good run down the motorway ive thrown a bottle of DPF cleaner in the tank and still gives me the warning. It doesn't do it all the time i can go 5 or 6 miles and no warning but then ill pull up the auto stop start will come on so sat with the engine off and bing there goes the warning. Is there some kind of cleaning procedure like the Vauxhall with going over 2500rpm for 20 mins constant that i have to do

could it be glow plugs as ive had an very intermittent missing on it probably does it once every fortnight for a couple of mins a time
i check the fault codes and get P14a3 and P0401 fault codes every now and again and the EML comes on

Thanks

Mav

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: DPF warning

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:06 pm

For an active Regen you need at least 10 litres of fuel in the tank (preferably more), and for the engine to be warmer than 75°C. If you have a dodgy thermostat it might not get hot enough, for example.

For a passive regen, you just need to get the exhaust really hot yourself. High-ish speed, high-ish revs, preferably up an nice long hill to burn lots of fuel.

Your codes are for a clogged EGR and clogged DPF.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

maverickuk1

Post by maverickuk1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks for the reply i nearly always have a full tank so the fuel isn't an issue, ive done some googling on the codes and aswell as a clogged egr and dpf it also comes up with dpf exhaust gas plausibility pressure which leads to a faulty dpf pressure sensor. The car does about 100 miles to quarter of a tank i do a lot of stop start stuff for my job but i know itll use more fuel for a regen of the dpf so does that sound like its doing the regen?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:23 pm

If the car is attempting an active regen, you'll hear the exhaust note change, it will get smellier, and the engine temp should rise to about 93°C.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

maverickuk1

Post by maverickuk1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:28 pm

i haven't heard it change note just alittle more rattly if that makes sense, theres no temp gauge so cant see if its at temp or not the heaters are red hot so i presume the water temp is good, i must sound like a right noob to cars lol

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:39 pm

There is a gauge, it's just a bit hidden.

Prior to attempting this you need to work out the unlock code for your car. To do this simply add up the last 5 digits of your VIN. So if it ends in 12345 then 1+2+3+4+5 means your code is 15 and so on.

1. Insert key and start engine
2. Press and hold trip reset button in the corner of the dash for 10 seconds. Ignore the warnings that pop up.
3. You should be greeted by the last 7 of the cars vin on the dash
4. Press the trip reset button repeatedly to get menu 19 displayed, it should say 'lock on'

(if when you press the trip button it changes to 01.01 instead of 02.00, you will need to press and hold the trip button for 2 seconds to toggle to the L/H digits.)

5. After a couple of seconds the window will change to say code 00
6. Press the trip reset button repeatedly until your code is reached
7. After a couple more seconds it will take you back to step 01.00
8. Press the trip reset button till you reach test 07.00 which will display your coolant temp (KTMP MOM).

(after unlocking it, it might change to 01.01 instead of 02.00 again, so you may need to press and hold the trip button for 2 seconds to toggle to the L/H digits like before.)

To exit, switch off the engine. This will lock itself again though, so you need to unlock the rest of the menu steps again if you need the hidden menus.

maverickuk1

Post by maverickuk1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Many thanks ill give it a go in the morning see what temp i get whilst out at work

maverickuk1

Post by maverickuk1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Right ive just been out took her out for a drive as it bugging me now and couldn't wait till the morn, menu and took her for about a 5mile drive uphill dual carriageway so was doing about 80 uphill, whilst under load managed 97c and whilst ticking over on the way back at a junction dropped to 88c for a second then went to 90c on the whole was pretty much 90c ish. when i started to give her some wellie uphill that's when the warning came on about the dpf i don't lose any performance if anything she seems to pull alittle better

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Anytime the temp goes much above 88°C, immediately take her for a nice long Italian tune-up as an Active Regen has probably started.

maverickuk1

Post by maverickuk1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks for that marco ill use her for work tomorrow and about 7pm ill take her down the motorway give her a real good blast

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MontegoBlue » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:00 am

I needed to replace my EGR valve when this was happening to me (EML light), it wasn't the DPF. The valve was that sooted up my mechanic really struggled to free it. (My car did 80 miles daily on the motorway and this failed around 135k, so they just eventually get gunked up even if you do drive alot)

Once replaced and code cleared it was sorted, so this maybe the only option, a replacement EGR.

maverickuk1

Post by maverickuk1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:12 pm

the egr valve was replaced 18,000 miles ago so shouldn't be too bad ive ordered some egr valve cleaner the dpf was also removed and cleaned when the egr valve was replaced, i have the receipt from the previous owner for this. It seems like this problem has been constant on this car, but ive got a feeling from all the things ive read its the DPF pressure sensor, after doing as marco said and accessing the the temp gauge from the secret menu ive kept an eye on it all day and the DPF warning has flashed up on the dash lots but had no real rise in temp on the car averaging 90c all day

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:06 pm

Do you use the cheaper supermarket fuels. Less detergent addictives in these.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

maverickuk1

Post by maverickuk1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:19 pm

yes Octavius i do but i add a glug of additive out of a bottle to a full tank.

Ok so just took it down the motorway for a good run with the temp gauge on she never battered an eyelid got to 90c once was in fifth gear doing 80 to 85 around 2700 revs all the way from juntction 6 of the m5 to the m50 and then back to junction 6 the warning came on just before the motorway but didn't affect the performance

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:27 pm

You can only regen soot out of a DPF, not any ash (which is incombustible).

http://www.dpfadditivesexpert.com/possible-causes/

Ash builds up over time, how many miles are on the DPF now?

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”