Just picked up a 125i E88

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

dubdemand
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Just picked up a 125i E88

Post by dubdemand » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Picked up our new (to us) 125i on Saturday and I’m chuffed to bits with it! It’s in great condition for its age and makes a good sound.

Few issues though that I’m hoping you guys can help with:

- Headlight condensation. Is there an easy fix? Is it easy to get in the back of them and would silica gel help?

- bulb failure warning on dash. Checked all of them and they are all working! :?

- Horrible, perished aerial on the back, what’s a good alternative? We have no FM reception so hoping it’s down to the aerial and nothing more sinister!

- terrible creaky dash. Have read about the A pillars being the main culprit and how reseating the bolts can help general fitment. Also planning to add felt tape to every panel joint!

- wheel caps. Scabby, horrible things that look like they’re glued in! Can’t wait to smash these out!

I’m also planning to add black grills (obligatory), hifi tweeters and maybe a remap over the next few months :D

Last edited by dubdemand on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E88 125i and F31 330d

11mmerola

Re: Just picked up a 125i E88

Post by 11mmerola » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Welcome to the e88 club!! Image Mine is a dirty dis-iesel but still great motors. My dash also creaks but only when the heating is on and the only other issue I have is the wind noise on fast roads with the roof upImage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy82
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jonnyboy82 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:51 pm

Welcome.

That condensation thing needs sorting ASAP before it kills your ballast. I’ve had no luck killed two ballasts due to a poor design. I’m now about to replace the light.

Oh and here’s mine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chall5
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by chall5 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:05 am

Bulb warning : press in the button on the left hand stalk when the bulb warning is displayed and it’ll give you a code which you can look up

The code will probably start CC ID

Checked the number plate lights and glovebox light ?
E82 135i DCT N55
E82 123d
E36 320i
E30 318i

dubdemand
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dubdemand » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:44 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've already reported the condensation to the dealer and have asked them to rectify it under the used car warranty (bought through Sytner so there should be some assistance).

WIll check the code tonight - assume the same process for any reported faults on the OBC?

Gonna order grills and tweeters later and have a stubby aerial on its way already :D
E88 125i and F31 330d

dubdemand
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dubdemand » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Took the 125i down to Surrey Rolling Road on Saturday for the F30 Facebook groups RR day. Managed 198hp, which considering it’s on 95ron and it’s due a service in the next 2k, isn’t that bad! Was hopeful for a bit more but at least I have a bench mark now and can gauge any improvements I make in the future. Power delivery is very smooth and there doesn’t seem to be anything major to worry about. Sounds pretty epic too for a stock exhaust :D

Stubby aerial fitted :wink:

Also had the pleasure of driving this machine... bit too wet for a proper ‘test drive’ but a privilege and a pleasure all the same 8)

Sorry it’s almost the same shot as above, but I was very pleased to see that there’s some kind of coating on there. No idea what as I’ve only had time to give it a quick wipe down so far! It will be getting a full detail and seal in the spring so will probably just give it a once over with C2v3 after the next wash.

Black grills and tweeters en-route from Cotsworld, will update once installed!
E88 125i and F31 330d

chody
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by chody » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:43 pm

couple of areas to look out for are heated rear screens fail and on the passenger side of the roof it can fray,I thought someone had stabbed it with a dart or other pointy implement but seems a common complaint, I spray the door and roof rubbers with silicon grease to reduce squeaks also helps with windows sticking on cold mornings

dubdemand
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dubdemand » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks for the pointers! The heated rear window seems to work ok - one of the elements is broken but the rest are good. Careful cleaning is the key here. Aprciate your comments about lubing the seals, will have a look at this if it ever stops raining!
E88 125i and F31 330d

Carl_120dcab

Post by Carl_120dcab » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 pm

I've also just (about a week ago) picked up an E88. 120d, 2010, 27000 miles, full BMW SH, nice spec (heated half leather seats etc) and very very tidy.

Loving it so far!

Had to replace the centre caps in the alloys (very scabby, were the same on my 3 yr old 5 series though) and treat the roof as it seemed to saturate when rained on!

Would like to improve the stereo (I believe upgrade to professional head unit is the way to go? What's involved in the change? Is it easier to go aftermarket?)

Would have been nice to have a big power petrol engine (had the 2.0 twin turbo petrol in the 5 series - lovely noise and a lot faster than I expected) but longer commutes now demand diesel for sensible fuel bill. Picked the E88 as I may as well have something interesting even if the engine is an oil burner!

The car in this original post is a lovely looking thing! Will look great with the black grille! Got me thinking now

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”