Carbon bonnet, paint it or bare?

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Kubricks
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Carbon bonnet, paint it or bare?

Post by Kubricks » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:36 am

Just ordered a revozport carbon bonnet, my car is sparkling graphite, should I paint it or not?

The bonnet was bought for weight reduction (20kgs to 6kgs claimed, aim to offset the extra weight of SC and external oil cooler), and that the vent happens to be right on top of the supercharger which would help on the cooling. I want to leave the bonnet bare as I don't want to spend more money on painting.... but won't it look chav? Would the car's colour blend it somewhat? :lol:

Opinions are welcome lol.
130i M Sport manual | ESS Supercharged | Custom remap
Birds B1 Suspension set | Vorshlag camber plate | Quaife Limited slip differential | M3 Chassis parts
18" Pro-drive GC-014i wheels

Dan116i
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Carbon bonnet, paint it or bare?

Post by Dan116i » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:11 am

Ill be watching this thread very closely :) always considered a carbon bonnet, but it’s the cost

I think with your colour, you can get away with not painting it? Also when it comes to selling, you’ll narrow your potential buyers if it’s painted
Now: 2006 130i with even more goodies ;)
Gone: 2008 116i with goodies :)

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:19 am

I always thought painted with the bonnet vents bare would look really good. I think a full carbon bonnet is a little too much carbon on display. Would probably look good if you also had a carbon roof so at least it tied that line together.

Are you going single or double side carbon? Is it just the single sided bonnet that needs the aero catches? I look forward to seeing some pictures as it is something I have considered for my car.
E81 BMW 130i
http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kubricks
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Kubricks » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:38 am

I guess the logical decision is to try it bare, then go back and paint it if I just couldn't handle it? :lol:
Resale value is a top concern as well.
jonwilli wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:19 am
I always thought painted with the bonnet vents bare would look really good. I think a full carbon bonnet is a little too much carbon on display. Would probably look good if you also had a carbon roof so at least it tied that line together.

Are you going single or double side carbon? Is it just the single sided bonnet that needs the aero catches? I look forward to seeing some pictures as it is something I have considered for my car.
It's a bit too much carbon I agree, but not sure if I want to spent more money on what in my view as a functional product.
I ordered Single sided. Double sided means they display carbon weaving under the bonnet as well supposedly for show, otherwise they just use fibre, the strength should be identical, I have seen both version.

Speak of which how's your car running? I remember you are the guy with arma setup right?
(nevermind find your thread :lol: )
Birds B1 Suspension set | Vorshlag camber plate | Quaife Limited slip differential | M3 Chassis parts

0l0dom0l0

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:59 am

Fit it and then decide.
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Kubricks wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:38 am
Speak of which how's your car running? I remember you are the guy with arma setup right?
(nevermind find your thread :lol: )
Not much of the Arma set up left :). I bought the Arma kit for the Rotrex supercharger and the bracket to fit to the engine block. Everything else has been upgraded :)

I got my first tune back from BPC this week, just need to pop in the larger custom 600cc injectors from BPC (same spec as their N52 turbo) and new spark plugs this weekend and see how she goes. I also need to remove the spring in the bypass valve so that it works at almost no boost with the BOV Controller.

Bob at BPC has given me a tune that will work up to 10psi so am thinking of dropping a smaller pulley on before fine tuning the map.
E81 BMW 130i
http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jack@AUTOID
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jack@AUTOID » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Kubricks wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:36 am
Just ordered a revozport carbon bonnet, my car is sparkling graphite, should I paint it or not?

The bonnet was bought for weight reduction (20kgs to 6kgs claimed, aim to offset the extra weight of SC and external oil cooler), and that the vent happens to be right on top of the supercharger which would help on the cooling. I want to leave the bonnet bare as I don't want to spend more money on painting.... but won't it look chav? Would the car's colour blend it somewhat? :lol:

Opinions are welcome lol.
Any more info on the SC? :D

Your car is exactly how I wish to have mine in the end!
AUTOID
autoid.uk.com
jack@autoid.uk.com
‭020 7205 2429‬

E81 130i LE
BMWP Short shift kit, Handbrake, Front Bumper, Grilles, Side skirts. 15mm spacers all round. Cruise Control Retrofit. Res delete, 135i BMWP Back Box + few more bits.

pem10
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pem10 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Would wrapping the bonnet be an option? Least you could just peel it off come resale time. Don't know cost vs paint tho sorry. Personally I wouldn't have it bare id be too scared to park it anywhere.

Car looks great as it is. :thumbs:
130i se. Sparkling graphite metallic. Xenons - darklines -pro hu - focal IFBMW-S -bmwp intake - roof spoiler. Now with added 313 goodness and other bits and bobs.

Tin
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Nice, painted imho looks better, but on a black car, should be fine to keep it as is.
Double sided also has the underside crossframe parts in carbon too, not just in FRP, saves alittle more weight.
Did you get the aerocatches?
Don't forget to change out the struts, standard ones are too strong and will warp the bonnet.
Certified Mod junkee :D

Kubricks
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Kubricks » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:45 am

pem10 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:11 pm
Would wrapping the bonnet be an option? Least you could just peel it off come resale time. Don't know cost vs paint tho sorry. Personally I wouldn't have it bare id be too scared to park it anywhere.

Car looks great as it is. :thumbs:
Warp might be a good option too!
Jack@AUTOID wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 pm
Any more info on the SC? :D
Your car is exactly how I wish to have mine in the end!
In short it's an ESS supercharger kit with a custom tune on dyno. About 295whp but it's all at top end so you do have to rev it out.
There are different problems to it though so I am not entirely sure I'd recommand it?

Tin wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Don't forget to change out the struts, standard ones are too strong and will warp the bonnet.
Wait do I have to do that?
What kind of strut must I change to? :shock:

Kubricks
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Kubricks » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:21 am

After Months of waiting I finally installed the bonnet. :lol:
I left it bare for now and to my surprise the carbon fibre blends in very well with the Sparkling Graphite color, in some angle it's virtually undetectable.

Webarno
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Webarno » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:45 pm

I like that!!
Where did you get it from??
2009 E82 125i M Sport LeMans Blue

https://www.instagram.com/webbybm/

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Looks great that 👍🏻
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

GuyJT

Post by GuyJT » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:54 pm

Very cool on a very cool car. Kudos.

Not chavvy at all.

Kubricks
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Kubricks » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:53 am

Thanks all!
Webarno wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:45 pm
I like that!!
Where did you get it from??
Bought it from Revozport.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”