Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

stevekoz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by stevekoz » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:12 pm

So.

In a few posts now i've commented about the issue's i've had with the 130i.

1. A temperamental misfire which was proving very hard to narrow down and solve
2. Steering feeling vague at speed

So. Over the last week and the help of JMF Motor Worx West Midlands (BIG PLUG!). I have been narrowing down the issues in the hope to resolving them.

1. The Misfire.

Having already changed out coils and plugs. It was no better

So. To fill you in on the past story. The 130i has been suffering with an annoying misfire since i purchased it. Had it fault code read by my own code reader and by Sytner and couldn't find anything. JMF also had it on the computer. They narrowed it down to cylinder 6 being out of tolerance.

These led us to believe that maybe it was a problem iwth the cylinder lining / block or the injector. Sad times so i thought.

A quick look on ebay and £10 for a 2nd hand injector was on its way to me.

Today i pulled the injectors. Cleaned them all properly and swapped out the injector on no.6.

Some people had indicated the eccentric shaft sensor - pulled this as had access to it and it was clean as a whistle so added a bit of dielectric grease and refitted - certainly don't believe that was the issue.

At the same time i pulled the vanos solenoids and cleaned both of those out before refitting.

A small splutter on start up it soon settled to a strong and steady idle and hasn't misfired once now. No splutter on acceleration in 6th which was a sign of the misfire.

So a whole 3 hours worth of wrench time and it seems to have solved the issue.

So, if you have a misfire, no codes, eccentric shaft sensor looking good. Check your injectors. They are easy to pull and fit - just need to lever the rail out with a bit of force - i used a pry bar to exert enough force to pop them out. Going back in just pushing them iwth some weight and they slotted back in.

Vanos solenoids were easy to do - just had to make sure o-rings were reseated nicely to refit. Bit of wiggling on the exhaust solenoid and popped back in.

Very happy with the results.

2. Steering - Jon at Motor Worx inspected the suspension and found no play in any arms or ball joints or bushes. Shocks were fine. What was found is that during a previous service (?) the power steering fluid had been swapped out for the wrong stuff - it was far too thin for the system and not ATF fluid. So that was drained and refilled with the correct fluid.

Steering now feels heavier and more planted on turn in - so fingers crossed that has solved the steering issue.

Its been a good weekend! happy times!!

User avatar
Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 10280
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: South East Kent

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by Twenny » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Good to know Steve.

Sounds like you can now finally enjoy that amazing engine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

stevekoz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by stevekoz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:42 am

Back to earth with a thud this morning.

Despite seemingly clearing the misfire yesterday with the work i did on the injectors and vanos solenoids.

This morning the misfire returned. Exactly where it was before. Only on idle and only a blip.

Makes me wonder if its vanos solenoids?? I did also pull the eccentric shaft sensor and cleaned that too - but it wasn't caked in oil so doubtful.

Alas think i'm a bit tired of trying to hunt it down.

User avatar
Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 19424
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: In The Land Of The Romps

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by Octavius » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:05 am

It does point to the vanos solenoids as you have the misfire at certain revs.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

User avatar
0l0dom0l0
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:09 am

stevekoz wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:42 am
Back to earth with a thud this morning.

Despite seemingly clearing the misfire yesterday with the work i did on the injectors and vanos solenoids.

This morning the misfire returned. Exactly where it was before. Only on idle and only a blip.

Makes me wonder if its vanos solenoids?? I did also pull the eccentric shaft sensor and cleaned that too - but it wasn't caked in oil so doubtful.

Alas think i'm a bit tired of trying to hunt it down.
What exactly are your symptoms?

When does it occur, what gears, rpm etc?
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

stevekoz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by stevekoz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:47 am

0l0dom0l0 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:09 am
stevekoz wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:42 am
Back to earth with a thud this morning.

Despite seemingly clearing the misfire yesterday with the work i did on the injectors and vanos solenoids.

This morning the misfire returned. Exactly where it was before. Only on idle and only a blip.

Makes me wonder if its vanos solenoids?? I did also pull the eccentric shaft sensor and cleaned that too - but it wasn't caked in oil so doubtful.

Alas think i'm a bit tired of trying to hunt it down.
What exactly are your symptoms?

When does it occur, what gears, rpm etc?

Its really hard to narrow down.

Symptoms - "Hiccup" at idle and slightly lumpy cold start. Only time you'll note the misfire.

Running under load it drives perfectly fine. No hesitation. No loss of power. Its smooth and linear all way through power band, fine in all gears, with no flat spots - ,may be a stutter accelerating in 6th on a hill from low down or maybe that is just me. I've driven it 4000 miles in the 8 months i've had it, some pretty long distances and driving its never had issue. Runs sweet all the time.

You can drive for hours and won't note a thing. But, come to a set of traffic lights and sit. Rev's will idle about 650rpm (normal) and then the needle will "hiccup" up maybe another 150rpm to about 750/800rpm and back to idle. Be fine for a minute and it will do it again. "hiccup" - and you feel this "hiccup" through the wheel/car.

So far its had 6 new coil packs. 6 new NGK plugs. 1 x new injector and the other 5 cleaned.

I have had the vanos solenoids out to clean those and re-fit.

The eccentric shaft sensor is clean inside the plug. The seal has some dirt/oil residue but nothing i'd consider bad given 13 years of grime and oil under the engine cover.

The misfire did go away after the work i did. But it is back this morning. Bit tired of hunting it down now. Not feeling much love for the car :(
Last edited by stevekoz on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevekoz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by stevekoz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:49 am

Octavius wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:05 am
It does point to the vanos solenoids as you have the misfire at certain revs.
given i cleaned them and it was fine for a day and i've had issues again today i did wonder about vanos solenoids. Fine till they fouled with oil again and now misfire back?? i don't know.

User avatar
0l0dom0l0
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:01 pm

stevekoz wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:47 am
0l0dom0l0 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:09 am
stevekoz wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:42 am
Back to earth with a thud this morning.

Despite seemingly clearing the misfire yesterday with the work i did on the injectors and vanos solenoids.

This morning the misfire returned. Exactly where it was before. Only on idle and only a blip.

Makes me wonder if its vanos solenoids?? I did also pull the eccentric shaft sensor and cleaned that too - but it wasn't caked in oil so doubtful.

Alas think i'm a bit tired of trying to hunt it down.
What exactly are your symptoms?

When does it occur, what gears, rpm etc?

Its really hard to narrow down.

Symptoms - "Hiccup" at idle and slightly lumpy cold start. Only time you'll note the misfire.

Running under load it drives perfectly fine. No hesitation. No loss of power. Its smooth and linear all way through power band, fine in all gears, with no flat spots - ,may be a stutter accelerating in 6th on a hill from low down or maybe that is just me. I've driven it 4000 miles in the 8 months i've had it, some pretty long distances and driving its never had issue. Runs sweet all the time.

You can drive for hours and won't note a thing. But, come to a set of traffic lights and sit. Rev's will idle about 650rpm (normal) and then the needle will "hiccup" up maybe another 150rpm to about 750/800rpm and back to idle. Be fine for a minute and it will do it again. "hiccup" - and you feel this "hiccup" through the wheel/car.

So far its had 6 new coil packs. 6 new NGK plugs. 1 x new injector and the other 5 cleaned.

I have had the vanos solenoids out to clean those and re-fit.

The eccentric shaft sensor is clean inside the plug. The seal has some dirt/oil residue but nothing i'd consider bad given 13 years of grime and oil under the engine cover.

The misfire did go away after the work i did. But it is back this morning. Bit tired of hunting it down now. Not feeling much love for the car :(
All idle related misfire symptoms with no codes I've read about with cold start symptoms have been eccentric shaft related. That would be my next step.

Misfire on hot restarts seems to be a case of they all do that sir. I'm convinced it's related to bearing ledge wear myself but without stripping mine to have a look it's hard to say. New bearing ledges can only be fitted on the exhaust side too. Intake side if gone is new head time.

So I'd start by swapping out eccentric shaft sensor.
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

stevekoz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by stevekoz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:00 pm

i've been trying to avoid the eccentric shaft sensor, even buying one is a small fortune let alone the work to change it out.

i did have my mechanic check it out and he said there were no codes and no air leak code which usually indicates the shaft sensor is broken.

But, not to say it couldn't still be that, just an expensive "if".

I'm going to do the solenoids first as its an easy cheap job and worth doing anyway.

Then i'm going to have to either bite the bullet and pay for the sensor fix or the tear down of the engine to find the culprit.

Great times. I'm not feeling the love for the n52 at the moment despite how good it is but at the same time, i'm not willing to let this beat me! its only a small "hiccup" , must be fixable!!

stevekoz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by stevekoz » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:41 am

to add to the confusion/woes over this misfire.

It's now gone. Didn't once do it on the way home. So sat in the car for 20 minutes outside my house last night and not once did it happen.

Thought it would happen this monring again as it was colder start perhaps (??) but no, all fine again. Again, sat outside work for 10 minutes and not one blip.

Doesn't sound like much in the scheme of things, but, the misfire was always present up to me doing the work on the vanos solenoids and the injectors.

The mystery continues.

User avatar
0l0dom0l0
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:31 pm

stevekoz wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:41 am
to add to the confusion/woes over this misfire.

It's now gone. Didn't once do it on the way home. So sat in the car for 20 minutes outside my house last night and not once did it happen.

Thought it would happen this monring again as it was colder start perhaps (??) but no, all fine again. Again, sat outside work for 10 minutes and not one blip.

Doesn't sound like much in the scheme of things, but, the misfire was always present up to me doing the work on the vanos solenoids and the injectors.

The mystery continues.
Vanos solenoids are always the place to start as they are easy to replace.

But be reassured about the shaft sensor. I've done a lot of research into it myself and they do cause problems.

I'm following the thread with interest.

Have you also tried resetting the adaptions in INPA?
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

stevekoz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by stevekoz » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:49 pm

0l0dom0l0 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:31 pm
stevekoz wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:41 am
to add to the confusion/woes over this misfire.

It's now gone. Didn't once do it on the way home. So sat in the car for 20 minutes outside my house last night and not once did it happen.

Thought it would happen this monring again as it was colder start perhaps (??) but no, all fine again. Again, sat outside work for 10 minutes and not one blip.

Doesn't sound like much in the scheme of things, but, the misfire was always present up to me doing the work on the vanos solenoids and the injectors.

The mystery continues.
Vanos solenoids are always the place to start as they are easy to replace.

But be reassured about the shaft sensor. I've done a lot of research into it myself and they do cause problems.

I'm following the thread with interest.

Have you also tried resetting the adaptions in INPA?
I have yet to reset the adaptions, it would be on the on list in the next round of garage work.

In the interim i am going to change out the vanos solenoids, for the time and money its worth doing anyway.

Its an interesting one thats for sure.

stevekoz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by stevekoz » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:04 am

So.

As an update.

The car is now misfiring intermittantly. For the previous 48hours, it ran fine. No misfire at all.

Today, there was a misfire. Again on idle.

I haven't yet changed out vanos solenoids - that will be a weekend job.

I can't help think i must be on the right track though if the work i have done has turned it from a misfire that is there every day at idle. To one that is only there some days?? Maybe i'm just mad.

I just want to get it solved and for it not to be something serious. It's never felt serious to me. 8 months of driving. It doesn't burn oil, use water, overheat, rev poorly, no rough running symptoms at all - just a blip on idle. My mechanic was sure it was injectors or cylinder crack - but if its not injectors i can't see it being a cylinder crack - it would be running way rougher and given some of the drives i've taken this car on in the last 8 months i'm pretty sure it would have gone pop by now if it was going too!

Anway, thought i'd update anyone watching the thread.

stevekoz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by stevekoz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:47 pm

Just resurfacing my own thread as i know a few people were following with interest.

So as an update. Whilst i put the car up for sale. I haven't been chasing or pushing a sale as i've been attempting in the background to at least sort the niggle that is the misfire.

As you may be aware. last month i swapped out injector no.6 and at the same time, thought i'd clean the vanos solenoids.

In doing so. I shifted my misfire from being something that happened every day to something that has been very very intermittant. Sometimes it would happen once a day or twice and be fine the rest. Other times it wouldn't happen at all for days.

So. Figuring the only other thing i did was clean the solenoids - maybe replacing them would bare more fruit. So i ordered a cheap set of ebay ones and they arrived this weekend.

On fitting them. First the car didn't want to start as well and it threw a code P0012 = camshaft sensor. That made sense = cheap chinese sensors. But what it did do was |REMOVE the misfire. Completely gone.

So i reset the ECU. Restarted the car. Started better. Still threw a code (same one) but again NO MISFIRE.

So. I swapped out the new sensors for the old ones again after resetting the ecu. I gave them a bit more of a solid clean and refitted. Now no code and NO MISFIRE.

I don't know if its gone away as it was just sat idling on my drive for an hour to monitor it. However it did not misfire and previously it would have done. So i still think that it is being caused by the vanos solenoids. My mechanic has ruled out everything else sensor wise. These were the only things he didn't touch and as i've been playing with them and its baring results (of sorts) then i think im on the right track.

So. See what happens and i'll keep people posted.

Of course the car is still for sale for offers given its current situation. But i realise sorting the misfire out will obviously be of more benefit to me in doing so. I could if i'm honest bung it on ebay and not sort it, but i'd rather try my best before i make a massive loss on her. Anyway. I'll keep whoever maybe interested to know whats been going on , up to date.

take it easy all.

User avatar
0l0dom0l0
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Misfire and Steering Woes may be solved! Prey to the car Gods!

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:55 pm

Just chuck a set of solenoids on it.
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

Post Reply

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”