E88 aftermarket stereo no power!

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Ash14297

E88 aftermarket stereo no power!

Post by Ash14297 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi all!

New to BMW and new to this forum but hoping someone can help! I’ve just acquired a 2010 120d Convertible (E88). I purchased a connects2 harness adaptor with a pioneer patch lead in the hope I could transfer my Pioneer double din from my Vauxhall Vectra.

I purchased the fascia and completed all of the dash modifications/cutting to allow room for the double din - all good so far and the radio fits. However, I cannot for the life of me get the damn thing to power on! I’ve hooked the connects2 harness yellow wire to a 12v constant (piggy pack fuse in glovebox) and I’ve tried switching the pioneer harness red and yellow wires over (had to in the Vectra) but it still won’t power on. Stereo should be ground through the harness adaptor and no need to ground separately so shouldn’t be that. I hooked it back up in the Vectra and the stereo still works so that’s not the issue either.

I’m at a loss! Any ideas why I’m not getting any power to the stereo? Strangely, the parking sensors still worked through the speakers even though the stereo wouldn’t power on. This was a different beep compared to OEM sound, so something must have been working! :?

Cheers,
Ash

david in germany
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: E88 aftermarket stereo no power!

Post by david in germany » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:00 pm

Double check the power on your piggyback connection. The connects harness for the pdc will pull power from the stock harness but the stereo may still not have power.
2009 E87 118i, Bilsetin B8 with BMW Performance Springs filled with audio gear. <-mine
2011 E90 328i M Sport, 335I brake upgrade. <- wifes
2009 E90 335I Msport , Cobb tune, Other stuff. <- Mine

HarveyBuh
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HarveyBuh » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:33 pm

New look pending...

Ash14297

Post by Ash14297 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:28 am

I’ve double checked all connections and I’ve tried putting the piggy back fuse in all different positions in the fuse box - still no power, even with the engine on. :|

I’m beginning to wonder whether I’ve got a duff harness from connects2 but before I go down the route of getting this replaced, does anyone have any other recommendations? I’m so annoyed because I stupidly spent hours cutting the dash behind the stereo to make it fit without even checking if I could get it to work!

I’ve always replaced factory head units and it’s never been this difficult!

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nottsknots » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:35 am

Can you post the exact model numbers of everything you're installing; HU, Connects model (did the connects come with a lead, or did you get a new one, in which case which one). Any pics of connections may help.

Sounds like you've already done the obvious, so there must be something else amis that we cant tell from a description.

Do you have (access to) a multimeter? If not, get hold of one; it may be invaluable for this kind of diagnosis.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Ash14297

Post by Ash14297 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:05 am

Here’s the quipment ive got:

- Pioneer MVH-AV290BT
- Connects2 CTSBM006 (only retains parking sensors)
- Connects2 CTMULTILEAD.2

Current setup:

- Factory harness plugged into CTSBM006
- Multilead patch plugged into the stereo using the jack connection with no cut wires - as per instructions for pioneer
- Pioneer stereo harness plugged into connects2 harness with Red-Red and Yellow-Yellow (tried Red-Yellow, Yellow-Red)
- Yellow 12V wire (which comes from the connects2 harness) into the glovebox using piggyback. Have tried multiple fuses as I’m not worried about retaining settings just yet - I’ll tackle that once I can actually get it to switch on!

I don’t have a multimeter but can easily get hold of one if I know what I’m checking? There is one thing I read online that sometimes an aftermarket stereo requires an antenna to be connected as this is often the ground wire. I didn’t bother getting a Pioneer-BMW adapter to do this as I don’t listen to the radio... I doubt this is the issue because the factory stereo turns on without the antenna?

Any help is much appreciated! I’m usually ok with doing these kind of things, but this one has got me stumped!

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:20 pm

Well, its a bit tricky without seeing which plugs are plugged into which sockets, but from looking at all the specs for those items, and interpreting your description, here goes...

Does the Pioneer come with its own power lead? I assume it does, in which case can you disconnect the Connects2 and patch lead, and just connect the Pioneer to the car directly? I think you should have a rectangular block connector at the Pioneer end (16pin?) and the other end should lock into the big square block from the car loom (which if you look closely is TWO blocks held together - one for speakers, one for power).

I seem to remember having to split the two connectors from the square block on the car loom to allow all the right plugs and sockets to fit together when I did something similar in mine. I suspect you may not have e power part from the car loom connected to the Pioneer, given the HU works elsewhere, and making some assumptions from your description. Lets take it one step at a time though :) . Assumptions wont get us anywhere.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Ash14297

Post by Ash14297 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! I’m just about to have another go this afternoon and your advice makes sense so I’ll post back on the outcome. I’ll also try to get some decent pictures to post - kind of difficult with the amount of wires but we’ll see!

Did not expect it to be this difficult but I’m determined to get it working as I hate the stock stereo!

Ash14297

Post by Ash14297 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Nottsknots wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:20 pm
Well, its a bit tricky without seeing which plugs are plugged into which sockets, but from looking at all the specs for those items, and interpreting your description, here goes...

Does the Pioneer come with its own power lead? I assume it does, in which case can you disconnect the Connects2 and patch lead, and just connect the Pioneer to the car directly? I think you should have a rectangular block connector at the Pioneer end (16pin?) and the other end should lock into the big square block from the car loom (which if you look closely is TWO blocks held together - one for speakers, one for power).

I seem to remember having to split the two connectors from the square block on the car loom to allow all the right plugs and sockets to fit together when I did something similar in mine. I suspect you may not have e power part from the car loom connected to the Pioneer, given the HU works elsewhere, and making some assumptions from your description. Lets take it one step at a time though :) . Assumptions wont get us anywhere.
Right, so I've had another go this afternoon and still no luck. I can't plug the pioneer harness directly into the BMW factory square harness because they don't slot together. Here are some pics of my setup (best I could get)

Pioneer harness connected to stereo - Red-Red, Yellow-Yellow (as mentioned, I have already tried swapping these). The blue/white wire I have taped off as I did have that connected to a sub in my Vectra (project for a later date to swap into the BMW). Ignore the purple (reverse gear wire) - It split while working on it, need to reattach.
IMG_1189.jpg
IMG_1189.jpg (118.8 KiB) Viewed 298 times
Pioneer harness connected to the connects2 wiring loom:
IMG_1190.jpg
IMG_1190.jpg (100.47 KiB) Viewed 298 times
Yellow 12v wire hooked up to fusebox via piggyback - tried multiple fuses (mini and standard size):
IMG_1191.jpg
IMG_1191.jpg (80.44 KiB) Viewed 298 times
Connects2 harness attached to BMW stock wiring loom:
IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1193.jpg (102.66 KiB) Viewed 298 times

Worth mentioning that I traced all of the wires across the entire wiring loom. Red and yellow wires match up perfectly on both the pioneer harness and the connects2 harness. This is what they end up attaching to at the BMW harness end:

- Pioneer/connects2 RED wire connects to pin 11 on the BMW stock harness which is a Orange/Green coloured wire
- Pioneer/connects2 YELLOW wire connects to pin 15 on the BMW stock harness which is a red/green coloured wire

Do you think one of the wires on the BMW side isn't matching up to the harness correctly?

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Well, switched power is indeed red/green, so that looks right
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e88- ... se/ievS4lR

Pin 15 on connector X13812 comes off the junction box, fuse 14, and is activated when the car is on by the CAS (car access module).

Might be fuse 40; I havent worked out why just yet; I think it depends what BMW HU was fitted. Which did you have, Professional Radio, CIC?
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e88- ... io/iBfL490

I'm trying to find the pin-out for that square connector (I had it a minute ago); work checking the voltage on the two wires you traced to make sure you're getting 12v at the connector.

Update: the orange/green is pin 11 on X13812, but thats not a perm power pin, its CAN-bus (inter-module communications: CAN = Car Area Network)
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e88- ... io/ZEKEsFE
I think that might be your problem; maybe a wrong cable?

david in germany
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by david in germany » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:58 am

Run the main power for the deck to the fuse box. I will look at my e87 this evening to see which one to use.
2009 E87 118i, Bilsetin B8 with BMW Performance Springs filled with audio gear. <-mine

Ash14297

Post by Ash14297 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:13 am

Nottsknots wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:31 pm
Well, switched power is indeed red/green, so that looks right
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e88- ... se/ievS4lR

Pin 15 on connector X13812 comes off the junction box, fuse 14, and is activated when the car is on by the CAS (car access module).

Might be fuse 40; I havent worked out why just yet; I think it depends what BMW HU was fitted. Which did you have, Professional Radio, CIC?
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e88- ... io/iBfL490

I'm trying to find the pin-out for that square connector (I had it a minute ago); work checking the voltage on the two wires you traced to make sure you're getting 12v at the connector.

Update: the orange/green is pin 11 on X13812, but thats not a perm power pin, its CAN-bus (inter-module communications: CAN = Car Area Network)
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e88- ... io/ZEKEsFE
I think that might be your problem; maybe a wrong cable?
Hmmm but if the switched power wire is matching up correctly on the BMW end, shouldn't I still get some sort of power with the ignition on or is the red permanent wire connection required still? I will get hold of a multimeter and see if I'm getting anything at the connector but do you have any idea what colour the permanent wire is on the BMW loom?

I have the standard business radio installed which is why I'm desperate to get the pioneer working! Everyone else's seems to have been plug and play when using the CTSBM006 adapter so I don't understand why it's not working in mine.

Ash14297

Post by Ash14297 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:15 am

david in germany wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:58 am
Run the main power for the deck to the fuse box. I will look at my e87 this evening to see which one to use.
What wire do I use to do this? One on pioneer harness or the connects2 harness? Isn't that what the yellow constant wire is for on the connect2 harness anyway? I already have that hooked up to the fusebox but still nothing :?

david in germany
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by david in germany » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:37 pm

With mine I skipped the connects harness for power and went straight to the fuse box from the deck. I used the empty fuse location #83 on mine and stuck a spade connector into the left side. This provided a constant power to the deck. Give me your email and I can send a pic to you.

Ash14297

Post by Ash14297 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:50 pm

david in germany wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:37 pm
With mine I skipped the connects harness for power and went straight to the fuse box from the deck. I used the empty fuse location #83 on mine and stuck a spade connector into the left side. This provided a constant power to the deck. Give me your email and I can send a pic to you.
Thank you! Have PM'd you my email address. Much appreciated

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”