130i - inexpensive pads for road and track?

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Synchromesh

Re: 130i - inexpensive pads for road and track?

Post by Synchromesh » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Just realised I said I'd report back but never did.

First hard use on the Performance Friction Z-rated pads was at the Nurburgring. I've only done about half a dozen laps before so not the most committed driver there (did around a 9.30 BTG) but was getting sporadic incidences of fade (most memorably at Aremberg where I thought I was going to go into the gravel; I didn't).

On to Spa. This was two consecutive days; four tanks of petrol. I didn't count track miles, but must've been 300+ Happy to report that there was no braking issues here. I think – like my experience with the Brembo pads – the first track session on them (at the 'Ring) served to bed them in. They felt really good once up to temp, although they still feel wooden in road use, occasionally squealy too.

Good to meet a fellow BabyBMW member out there in an identical 130i (when I say identical I mean even down to tyres!).

I let him through at 3.40, if you want to see us having a bit of a play:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U04N5RFPgyo

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:56 am

Looks like you had fun ! What other bits have you done to the car ?
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 am

Well, I’ve taken my calipers off after an excellent day at Brands gp. Got the calipers out and measured the pads properly - I’ve still got 7.5-8mm on all four pads. I’m telling you it seems that I can’t wear these XP8’s out. That’s 2 years, over 12000 miles, 2 ring trips and god knows how many track days (4 this year).

My fluid is in really good condition but I’ve been getting random spongy pedal on both my warm track days this year. Clearly the calipers and pads are handling heat ok ish or else I would be getting more wear, so I’m thinking it’s time to try some cooling ducts perhaps for that last little bit. I’m still amazed by the pads. Using ate 200.

I am considering doing the f20 caliper upgrade as its easier to change and check pads, plus you get the wider 30mm discs that must also help.

Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E87 '05 130i; BMWP Brakes, intake, & exhaust. birds arb's, quaife, meister R coilovers, m3 lca, goodridge lines, oz Ultraleggera and 595 RSR's.

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:43 am

Good to hear on the pads Rustle they do last well :-)

Fluid wise when you say its in good condition have you tested it for moisture content ? also if so did you test what is in the caliper itself by bleeding little out ?, this is usually problem with getting spongy pedal so I would say you need to either change it (how long since last done?) or use a better fluid probably in this case , the ATE 200 is ok for price but dry boiling point is only 280c compared to 316c on Motul RBF600 for example, also just as important the wet boiling point of the ATE is only 198c compared to 216c on the RBF600, so once its been in awhile and started to absorb moisture it does drop off, both have nothing the Castrol SRF which while only 310c dry boiling but its wet boiling point is 280c! which means longevity is much better.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:47 am

THETYRANT wrote:Good to hear on the pads Rustle they do last well :-)

Fluid wise when you say its in good condition have you tested it for moisture content ? also if so did you test what is in the caliper itself by bleeding little out ?, this is the usually problem with getting spongy pedal so I would say you need to change (how long since last done?) or a better fluid probably in this case , the ATE 200 is ok for price but dry boiling point is only 280c compared to 316c on Motul RBF600 for example, also just as important the wet boiling point of the ATE is only 198c compared to 216c on the RBF600, but both have nothing the Castrol SRF which while only 310c dry its wet boiling point is 280c! which means longevity is much better.
Based on visual inspection only. Nice and clear, no discolouration etc. Did a full change at the beginning of this year and two minor top ups since. It’s virtually all come out of the system since I took the calipers off so I’ll try one of the other two and do a full refresh.

Out of interest, how do you test fro moisture?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
E87 '05 130i; BMWP Brakes, intake, & exhaust. birds arb's, quaife, meister R coilovers, m3 lca, goodridge lines, oz Ultraleggera and 595 RSR's.

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:56 am

Ah ok you cant really go on the visual colour for the moisture content, at least not until its so bad it looks like water! which i had on my mates old Audi when he asked me to look at brakes, literally was like water what came out and no wonder pedal was so bad!

You can buy a tester to check moisture content like below but ive not tried that one just came up with quick google, personally i just change it regular and bleed a good bit through before every or every other track event to keep piston contact fluid fresh.

Fluid tester - https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools ... ester-4875
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:10 pm

Rustle wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 am
My fluid is in really good condition but I’ve been getting random spongy pedal on both my warm track days this year. Clearly the calipers and pads are handling heat ok ish or else I would be getting more wear, so I’m thinking it’s time to try some cooling ducts perhaps for that last little bit. I’m still amazed by the pads. Using ate 200.

I am considering doing the f20 caliper upgrade as its easier to change and check pads, plus you get the wider 30mm discs that must also help.

Thoughts ?
I managed to set mine on fire again the other day ........ but still didnt get any fade :lol:
I dont think an F20 upgrade is necessary or will solve your problem, theres nothing wrong with the way mine stops anyway.

I do have a performance bumper with air ducts but I still think that its something else on yours and if theres dead travel it could be air in the lines, Id be getting them bled and changing fluid anyway.

FWIW Im on CL6 front and DS2500 rear pads, braided hoses, RBF660 fluid, standard disks and calipers but stainless pistons in front.

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:58 pm

Thanks for input. Ordered 2l of RBF660 today along with a moisture tester. Will have a poke and a prod and see what all that does. Due at Thruxton on 1st October so a test isn’t too far away.

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:00 pm

docwra wrote:
Rustle wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 am

Thoughts ?
I managed to set mine on fire again the other day ........ but still didnt get any fade :lol:
I dont think an F20 upgrade is necessary or will solve your problem, theres nothing wrong with the way mine stops anyway.

I do have a performance bumper with air ducts but I still think that its something else on yours and if theres dead travel it could be air in the lines, Id be getting them bled and changing fluid anyway.

FWIW Im on CL6 front and DS2500 rear pads, braided hoses, RBF660 fluid, standard disks and calipers but stainless pistons in front.
Where did you get those pistons? Assume they are the racing brake ones?

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:28 am

Rustle wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:00 pm
Where did you get those pistons? Assume they are the racing brake ones?
https://www.raceparts.biz/bmw-135i-pbmw ... d-kit.html

Id found that 3 of my old pistons were melted and seized so this was the obvious thing to do. Not cheap but brake feel is definitely better and with any luck they wont melt again :lol:

Also underlines my feeling that a BBK isnt necessary unless youre actually racing, it wouldnt have cost much more after new pads and fitting but I cant fault the braking performance now :)

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:01 am

Nice kit those stainless pistons and good for longterm durability :-) also to add for those looking for new pistons for the 6pots on a tighter budget you can get new Budweg oe spec alloy ones for just under £200 the lot from www.brakeparts.co.uk
--

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:28 am

Wow, £499 for pistons and seals. Not far off importing the RB kit. I have looked at this in the past and just see that money going towards something from AP instead.
Anyway, let’s first see how this new fluid and the refurb goes before chucking money at things. I’ll have my pistons out this weekend to assess condition, hopefully all ok.

Have been reading up about cooling and it seems some USA 135i owners have fitted the sculpted f30 backing plates to aid flow to the disc. Not sure it’ll achieve much.

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:38 am

I think that is the RB kit looking at the pistons on link, to be honest its probably overkill for most but nice to have as a long term fix i guess if calipers are apart.

Cooling is pretty good to front of these cars, at least on stock msport bumpers where there are large cutouts for air to get into wheel arch/brakes, unlike a lot of modern cars where wheel arches get next to no air flow into brakes, cuttinghles or removing backing plates to help is about all you can do without trunking things, which is hard to get right due to space and then you get all the crap direct into brakes with road use, i think new fluid will sort your issues and make sure to get plenty through all 4 calipers as rears are often overlooked and rear brake temp can get very high due to lack of air flow, ive seen a few suffer spongy pedal and the just bled fronts without a fix, then bled rears and fluid was black and of course pedal issues was then sorted.

Hopefully see you at Bedford next month anyhows :)
--

Synchromesh

Post by Synchromesh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:40 pm

I know what you mean about there being a good air flow to the front brakes, but and any ideas on how to increase cooling to the rears?

I got through my rear pads twice as quickly as my fronts (see my earlier post), which a few people have suggested may have been to do with lack of rear cooling...

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Hmm, you don’t have some form of ebrake or stuck pistons do you? My xp8’s have worn evenly between front and rear. I’m surprised at that as for the last couple of track days my right rear hub has had higher temps than the left which I thought might have been a stick piston, despite the hubs spinning fine when parked up. So I expected the right to exhibit a little more wear.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”