Baby BMW Forum banner

My first BMW, E88 I need help please?

602 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Motley2012 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I finally have my first BMW, a lovely 1 series convertible 59 plate (E88 I believe)

I have a few questions.

1) Can my key be coded to make the mirrors fold in and out when locking and unlocking?
2) If I press and hold unlock, the windows open and the soft top opens. But it doesn't close when holding lock, is it possible to code this.

I would also love to change the head unit to have a screen with navigation, I found something for 3 series where the roof / heated seat buttons can be moved into the ashtray section, the heating / cooling controls drop down a space, giving you a double space for a screen. I have looked everywhere but cant seem to find one for the 1 series. Do you know if it's made, if not, have you managed to fit a screen, if so how?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you can give,

I look forward to talking to you all :)

Luke

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Luke, congrats on the E88 a perfect time to get a convertible!

Few questions in regards to what you've asked, does your mirrors fold electronically from the button inside the car? It's usually by the window switches. If the car doesnt have the button, then I don't think you'd be able to code them in without having the motor in place.

In regards to the soft top closing, I could only code my E88 to open the roof from the key but not without, however there definitely must be a way of coding a system through just won't be easy to find I'm guessing!

Hope you enjoy your E88!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#3 ·
ZKhalid said:
Hi Luke, congrats on the E88 a perfect time to get a convertible!

Few questions in regards to what you've asked, does your mirrors fold electronically from the button inside the car? It's usually by the window switches. If the car doesnt have the button, then I don't think you'd be able to code them in without having the motor in place.

In regards to the soft top closing, I could only code my E88 to open the roof from the key but not without, however there definitely must be a way of coding a system through just won't be easy to find I'm guessing!

Hope you enjoy your E88!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Hello ZKhalid,

Thanks for your reply, I am loving it, making the most of having the top down while we have this sun :D

I don't have a button to fold the mirrors in, I have the button to adjust them and the sliding switch to choose what one I'm controlling. I cant even fold the mirrors manually. I am just worried someone will come too close where I park and hit my mirror as parking bays by me are so tight the car just about fits.

Okay thanks, it isn't the end of the world if I have to use the button in the car to close it, would have just been a handy feature. I did find an app called Carly for BMW, I am just concerned if I start playing about with it I will break something. :lol2:

#4 ·
Hi Luke,
Powerfold mirrors on the key won't be possible I'm afraid mate as doesn't look like you have the motor.
Carly is very simple/easy but before spending your hand-earned let us know where you are as one of us may be local with Carly and could code for beer tokens :wink:
Enjoy the new car mate 👍

#7 ·
You can have a module added by a firm called Smart top to remote close the roof and it's plug in and play. But it's not cheap!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.