Baby BMW Forum banner

E88 remote window/roof opening disabled since recall?

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Dragonball 
#1 ·
I took my 2008 E88 in for the recall fix at the start of the week, and after getting it back I noticed that the ability to use the remote key to open all the windows and convertible roof had vanished. I arranged to take it back into the dealer to be sorted out, but someone just left me a voicemail claiming that this is not a fault - that BMW have removed that capability from all cars. This sounds unlikely to me - can anyone confirm one way or the other?

#3 ·
Is it something that can be set by OBC or iDrive ? I lost a lot of my personal settings (time/date etc etc) as a result of the recall work. Probably find a few others when Ive used the car a bit more - like auto door locking and hazard lights flashing on door lock/unlock - which can be personalised via OBC settings.

#4 ·
Sonic1506 said:
If you or someone coded it for you, it makes sense that it now doesn't work, all my codings went after the recall was done and it needed to be redone.
I bought the car used and it had that ability when I got it - it was mentioned in the manual if I recall correctly so I don't *think* it was an aftermarket addition, though I could be wrong.

#6 ·
It is a standard feature which I would not have thought they would be allowed to just remove without discussion.

Are you sure the roof cover is properly closed in the boot?

#7 ·
Motley2012 said:
It is a standard feature which I would not have thought they would be allowed to just remove without discussion.

Are you sure the roof cover is properly closed in the boot?
Good question - it definitely is. You can still open the roof with the button on the console, as well as by inserting the key into the door - only the remote operation has gone. Someone at the local dealership claims that this is correct behaviour, but I don't entirely believe him, so I thought I'd check here.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

#9 ·
I got a very prompt reply from BMW UK's social media team;

"I've spoken to our Regional Technical Team about this, they've told me that as a security measure the convenient opening via the remote control service has been deactivated.
I'm afraid as BMW AG have decided, that to help prevent the theft of your model of car, this service is no longer available so BMW Williams Manchester won't be able to add it."

Obviously sad about the loss of the feature, but it does appear to be official policy and not a mistake.

#11 ·
I think this is outrageous, you took your car in for an update and they have removed a feature which may have been a reason for buying that car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.