125i / 130i - upgrades for road / track

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

reidtastic

125i / 130i - upgrades for road / track

Post by reidtastic » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi guys

I’ve have just picked up my uk e82 125i, I wasn’t initially looking for one..... however this came up with a missing service book at a great price so I just went for it....... anyhoo through previous MOTs I’ve managed to trace all the previous services apart from one and the garages have all stated they would stamp a service book so I just need to get one from eBay.

Run down of the car - Seems to drive well enough however I have an intermittent ABS / TC light that comes on, hopefully this was relating to bad tyres / wear and uneven pressures which were corrected today (New conti contacts non run flats fitted - fronts only at the moment as these looked like slicks they were that worn down especially on the outside)

Anyway in the near future I intend on doing all the boaring stuff first which will be the following, this will probably take me to the year end but I’ll probably end up getting some of the cheaper mods as well.

- Wheels refurbed
- New rear tyres Non RFLTS(Hopefully cup 2s if I can get them in the size I need, not looked in to it yet)
- Full mega service including coolant, brake fluid, diff, filters, plugs etc
- Full detail and correction
- New key (Only got one)
- top mount dowel removal mod
- new shift knob
- new top storage compartment lid

Anyhoo this car will be used as a daily with a few track days thrown in and road trips annually, it will also need to cart items to the dump, have enough clearance for a bit of off-roading when I go mountain biking and take the kids to school.

My initial mods list is as follows please bear in mind I am on a budget so I have tried to get th best cost effective mods in there

Handeling

- m3 front LCA
- power flex bushes for the upper arms
- bilstein B12
- geometry set up / alignment
- power flex subframe inserts
- anti roll bars M3 front - 15mm rear (Possibly the eibach kit)

Brakes

Unsure yet I need to check what fits below under 261 wheels
I’m hoping I can get away with 130i carriers, ds2500 pads, braided lines and SRF fluid. (If compatible I’ve not checked fluid type on the BM yet)

Engine

- bmw performance filter, smooth box, RPI scoops (I know this will give very little gains, hopefully a little more noise though)
- resonator delete and 135i muffler
- Remap

Visual

I’m trying to be minimal here but, it needs a few bits to make it look right I think

- alcantara steering wheel
- alcantara gear gaitor
- debadged
- black twin front grill
- carbon boot spoiler
- thinking of a m2 competition graphics theme gold and black wheels ??
- set of recaro pole positions (these will be removed and transferred from car to car so something I will keep)

That’s pretty much it, I should be able to do this for reasonable money - the recaros will be the biggest expense howeve these will go with me from car to car so something that I’d not really class as an expense associated with this car solely

Couple of questions

-Do the m135i brakes fit under the 261 wheels without spacers ? There looks like a fair bit of room under the wheel however I know the 4 pots are a lot more bulky - just worried about arch clearance eg lower control arms + bilsteins b12 + 225 tyres + spacers = rubbage ??

-Antiroll bars I will not be fitting a diff so is an upgrade worth while eg I do not want to loose too much traction ?? M3 front and is there any ARBs I can use from other BMW’s for the rear which is stiffer but not too stiff ? If so what model and part numbers - I’m fine for the m3 part numbers

- has anyone used the standard 130i brake setup on track with upgraded fluid / pads and how did you find it ???

Cheers
-
Last edited by reidtastic on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: 125i / 130i - upgrades for road / track

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:56 pm

My E87 didn't have an LSD, my best ARB combination was M3 front matched to an E93 335i (15mm) rear bar.

I found the M3 rear bar poor, lost way too much traction out of corners, plus the occasional unintentional oversteer!
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

reidtastic

Post by reidtastic » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks !

Was there any fitment issues with either bars ? Or were they direct bolt on ?

Did the original rear bush clamps fit or were they from the e93 aswell ?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:26 pm

They bolted right up to mine. If you have ePAS (I think you do) the E93 M3 front ARB is the better fit, although you still may need to move some plastic sheathing.

The rear bar re-used the original horseshoes, although you obviously need the E93 335i 15mm rubber mounts to go inside them.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by paddyboy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:59 pm

reidtastic wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:24 pm

Run down of the car - Seems to drive well enough however I have an intermittent ABS / TC light that comes on, hopefully this was relating to bad tyres / wear and uneven pressures which were corrected today (New conti contacts non run flats fitted - fronts only at the moment as these looked like slicks they were that worn down especially on the outside)
Ummm interesting combination standard tyres up front and rfts on the rear :shock:

Solves your ABS/TC light problem as you say but creates other problems in the form of unpredictable handing
'09' 130i M Sport Auto - Le Mans Blue / Boston Beige Leather

reidtastic

Post by reidtastic » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:43 pm

Can’t afford 4 tyres at the moment unfortunately.

The rears will be replaced when the wheels are refurbed. The handling on the 1 series is unpredictable as standard, the rear end wiggle you get from these cars are horrendous.

Removing the runflats from the front end has made a massive difference to the ride at the front of the car, more so than I can remember having done it before.....on other bms I’ve owned but I suppose different cars different feel.

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by paddyboy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:56 pm

reidtastic wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:43 pm
Can’t afford 4 tyres at the moment unfortunately.

The rears will be replaced when the wheels are refurbed. The handling on the 1 series is unpredictable as standard, the rear end wiggle you get from these cars are horrendous.

Removing the runflats from the front end has made a massive difference to the ride at the front of the car, more so than I can remember having done it before.....on other bms I’ve owned but I suppose different cars different feel.
Well if you're happy doing it just cross your fingers you're not involved in any collision or accident whilst you've got both rfts + standard tyres on the car

Tyre manufacturers + car manufacturers all state not to mix rfts + standard tyres in any formation

That's all an insurance company needs to avoid paying out in the event of an accident
'09' 130i M Sport Auto - Le Mans Blue / Boston Beige Leather

Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Toed64 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:36 pm

Hello and welcome Reidtastic

Nice choice of car - a cross between my current one and my last!

If new (proper) back tyres were outside my budget, I think I'd be trying to do a deal with a used tyre centre: used, top brand, runcraps are more valuable than part worn proper tyres.
2008 E81 130i
2010 E82 135i - now sold

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”