Car been thrashed during recall service

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Car been thrashed during recall service

Post by Ezzra » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:47 pm

ApexLG wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:15 pm
Ezzra wrote:
ApexLG wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:46 am

Is speeding not against the law?
You think they'll be interested if you rock up to the station with a tale of speeding? Prove it.
You're taking the p*ss :)
Theres plenty of people giving helpful advice on this thread, for and against taking it further. If you haven’t got anything productive to say then I don’t value your opinion in the slightest.
Dear me, you are sensitive! I've given you useful advice. You're wasting your / their time going to the police! :)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

WolverineMac
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by WolverineMac » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:16 pm

It just a matter of opinion. I wouldn't of thought your third party evidence would be of any use to the police in all honesty. First of the all the data belongs to the insurance company and not you. Secondly it is unlikely that the insurance company would hand over the data to the police without a court order in place. Therefore I would say its unlikely the police would pursue it.

This appears to happen more than you think.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/c ... e-10748940

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/201 ... eed-limit/

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/m ... 3961316924
07 E87 130i - Auto, plenty of options, Only mod is koni bump stops

Jamesno1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Jamesno1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Sad reality is this will happen all the time, and the garages won't give a sh*t unless it costs them money.
M135i

ApexLG
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ApexLG » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Ezzra wrote:
ApexLG wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:15 pm
Ezzra wrote: You think they'll be interested if you rock up to the station with a tale of speeding? Prove it.
You're taking the p*ss :)
Theres plenty of people giving helpful advice on this thread, for and against taking it further. If you haven’t got anything productive to say then I don’t value your opinion in the slightest.
Dear me, you are sensitive! I've given you useful advice. You're wasting your / their time going to the police! :)
Where did I suggest I was going to go to the police?
2011 E82 120d Space Grey
P-Torque 220.2 bhp//333lb-ft
Darklines//BMWP Grills//Alcantara Trim//Twin Tips//AP Coilovers

Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Toed64 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:50 am

ApexLG,

Other than offering you some fuel, what did the Service Manager say/do?

Have you contacted your insurer?

I'm pretty sure that I would have a similar red tracker trace when 'road-testing' my own cars, but I think this story just underpins my mantra: Never trust a main dealer!

I've had very poor experiences with several, but so far, my local BMW dealership gets my top scores for supercillious condescension, dishonesty and incompetence...oh, and absurd over-charging.
2008 E81 130i
2010 E82 135i - now sold

Tin
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Horrible and a disgrace, they even turn off dashcams now (for sake of workshop security) :roll:
Try and only use a dealer with the nice big glass windows to see the workshop and query why a roadtest is needed if anything prior with the service advisor...

hope you get a satisfactory outcome.
Certified Mod junkee :D

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Tin wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:27 pm
Horrible and a disgrace, they even turn off dashcams now (for sake of workshop security) :roll:
Yeah I noticed they had unplugged mine and hadn't plugged it back in again when I picked the car up.

What they never noticed is unplugged it went into parked mode and carried on recording whenever they moved the car anyway :)

AndyBish135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AndyBish135i » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Toed64 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:50 am
ApexLG,

I've had very poor experiences with several, but so far, my local BMW dealership gets my top scores for supercillious condescension, dishonesty and incompetence...oh, and absurd over-charging.
Yep, main stealer options in the West Country amount to a grand total of.... 1
Can echo comments above and have now opted to travel for warranty work to avoid said stealership :(

FirBim
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by FirBim » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:29 am

WolverineMac wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:16 pm
It just a matter of opinion. I wouldn't of thought your third party evidence would be of any use to the police in all honesty. First of the all the data belongs to the insurance company and not you. Secondly it is unlikely that the insurance company would hand over the data to the police without a court order in place. Therefore I would say its unlikely the police would pursue it.
I agree, a Police report is 99% certain to come to nothing. But possibly still worth a few minutes to make the call, if the dealership isn't dealing with this appropriately. Mention illegal speed, suggest this was reckless in context of local roads, and also that if the journey was not necessary or authorised for the purpose of servicing, it would not be covered by the dealership's insurance.

Firstly this reinforces your position if insurers later raise your premium. Also if you're going to be writing to the dealership MD or to BMW UK, mentioning the crime reference number may usefully focus their attention. Even if they also know that an active investigation is unlikely, they will not be happy to have their brand and reputation marred in this way.
2010 E87 120d M Sport, Le Mans Blue

B NEGATIVE
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by B NEGATIVE » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Report the incident to the police as an advisory so you have a paper trail for the insurers should it all go south..
Rip the dealership a new one.
Get them to say something in writing regarding who was driving 'for your records'.

Those boxes, while vital for young 'uns, can properly screw you if the insurer is hot on these things....
'08 E82 125i,stock-ish and driven with intent....

pem10
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pem10 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:52 pm

OP did you get a satisfactory outcome or are matters still ongoing?
130i se. Sparkling graphite metallic. Xenons - darklines -pro hu - focal IFBMW-S -bmwp intake - roof spoiler. Now with added 313 goodness and other bits and bobs.

ApexLG
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ApexLG » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:56 am

For everyone who’s interested the dispute is still ongoing, the centre manager kind of went back on his word and argued that it was all within normal procedures, and that the issues with the speeding would be dealt with internally. I’ve went to BMW UK and they’ve put my in touch with the service manager who will probably say the same thing. I’m keen to take the matters to small court to get the whole thing sorted out!
2011 E82 120d Space Grey
P-Torque 220.2 bhp//333lb-ft
Darklines//BMWP Grills//Alcantara Trim//Twin Tips//AP Coilovers

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ASB1960 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:37 pm

What will be your claim and cause of action in the small court. Thete is a pre action protocol to follow to have anychance of success.

It will be hard to ascertain your financial loss.

Uplift in insurance could be one avenue.

Put it another way. Precisely what you try and sue them for may be tricky.
M135i 3 door, auto, mineral grey/oyster - black, bus nav, black panel, adaptive, driver comfort. Arrived 24th June 2014.

Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Toed64 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:20 pm

Has your insurer been in touch, or did you contact them to let them know that it wasn't you driving?

As ASB1960 says - unless your insurance is cancelled, or the premium goes up, you have suffered no loss at all and the dealership has no case to answer or loss for which they should compensate you.

Most of the 'ultimate driving machines' can take a bit of stick: that's one of the reasons I drive them.
2008 E81 130i
2010 E82 135i - now sold

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”