E82 Suspension Refresh

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

bodhi

E82 Suspension Refresh

Post by bodhi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi Folks,

My 125i has just hit 126k miles on the original suspension, and as you can imagine it's a little bit more wayward than it was when I first bought it - bumpy B-Roads are an interesting experience, requiring a lot of concentration to keep out of the hedge at times. So, when I get paid next week I want to fresh a few bits to restore it to its former glory. I don;t have a budget in mind, but if I can do ti for less than £1k that would be great, as I may be replacing it with an M140i next year.

The car is mostly used for trudging up and down the motorway so needs to stay comfortable, but I often take the back way home so a bit more composure on a B-Road would be appreciated. Currently do about 18k miles a year, 5K for work so car needs to stay useable, so was thinking of going OEM+

I was going to replace:

Shocks - The front of the car is incredibly soft and bouncy, so I'm going to fit new shocks all round - I was thinking for the budget just to stick with OEM?

Springs - I'm torn here between the Eibach Pro Kit and Birds Springs Kit. The Eibachs are cheaper, but look to drop the car 30mm - as I'm already running 255/35 on the rear tyres, is the drop going to cause an issue? Hss anyone tried the Birds kit (springs only to be used with M-Sport Dampers, not the full B1 Kit)?

Bump Stops - I expect these to be knackered so will replace them as well - I've seen mentions of the M Performance models which sort out some of the pogo-ing these cars can tend to do - can you get them in the UK? Are there any other bump stops I should be looking at?

Top Mounts - worth doing?

Am of course going to get the alignment done afterwards, but any other bits I've missed?
2008 BMW 125i M Sport -- Michelin PS4, Sonar HID Conversion, 280 bhp Map, Black BMW Performance Grille

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: E82 Suspension Refresh

Post by THETYRANT » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Couple of options...

First and cheapest, Fit 4 new Bilstein B4 dampers which are oem replacement, reuse existing springs if in good shape or Eibach Pro kit if you don't mind or want a little lower, also fit new bumpstops front and rear, shorter BMWP options improve ride quality.

Second, Get the Bilstein B12 kit which comprises uprated/firmer B8 dampers with Eibach pro spring kit, you get new bumpstops for rear with kit and front is built into damper.

Top mounts wise at that mileage probably worth replacing them.

Avoid Birds stuff as in my opinion its overpriced and underdeveloped.

Ive tested a lot of different suspension on these cars have a read of my suspension quest thread in link below..

HTH
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

bodhi

Post by bodhi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:03 pm

That's brilliant thank you for the info. Couple of quick questions:

1) If I go for the B12 Kit is it just a case of getting the below delivered and asking my mechanic to fit it? Does it bolt straight on?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilstein-B12 ... 1859805403

2) If I go down the B4 route, where is the best place to get the BMWP Bump Stops?
2008 BMW 125i M Sport -- Michelin PS4, Sonar HID Conversion, 280 bhp Map, Black BMW Performance Grille

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:23 pm

bodhi wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:03 pm
That's brilliant thank you for the info. Couple of quick questions:

1) If I go for the B12 Kit is it just a case of getting the below delivered and asking my mechanic to fit it? Does it bolt straight on?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilstein-B12 ... 1859805403

2) If I go down the B4 route, where is the best place to get the BMWP Bump Stops?

1) Yes the B12 kit bolts straight on replacing dampers, springs and bumpstops so only additional parts you may need are the top mount bearings unit for front if replacing, and maybe the rubbers on rear topmounts, both of yours might be ok so depends if you want to get parts just in case or wait to see what state of ones on car are, i would probably replace fronts at that mileage but rear maybe ok.

2) If you go B4 then BMWP bumpstops can be bought from dealer and Cotwolds on here give good price and service, you will need the parts numbers as below..

Edit to Add BMWP bumpstop numbers below, x 2 of each to do all 4 corners...

E8x FRONT BMWP - Part number 31331096099
E8x REAR BMWP - Part number 33536788905

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

sixpistons
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sixpistons » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 pm

Is it bouncy or does it just not track straight or tramline? If its the latter it's probably bushing/ball joint related rather than dampers. Mine has similar miles, (although the dampers have only done about 35k) and it was starting to become a bit vague and would sometimes tramline alarmingly, particularly on uneven roads or if there was much weight in the back of the car. 4 wheel alignment improved but didn't cure it. Two garages insisted nothing was worn but I eventually got fed up and pulled the rear suspension apart myself. Turned the ball joints in each of the rear uprights were knackered - you just couldn't tell with everything bolted up. They're about 20 quid each and pretty easy to change. The other bushes were fine - if they look ok they probably are (although I ended up doing a bit of a refurb and swapped a load of stuff out and painted the subframe - didn't fancy doing it twice).

I think Ian's advice re: dampers is probably sound given how many setups he's tried. I've got the Birds kit and am happy with it but if I was buying again I'd maybe try Ian's preferred Koni setup.
2007 130i, Birds B1, H&R anti roll bars, Quaife, THETYRANT’s camber plates

bodhi

Post by bodhi » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:04 pm

sixpistons wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 pm
Is it bouncy or does it just not track straight or tramline? If its the latter it's probably bushing/ball joint related rather than dampers. Mine has similar miles, (although the dampers have only done about 35k) and it was starting to become a bit vague and would sometimes tramline alarmingly, particularly on uneven roads or if there was much weight in the back of the car. 4 wheel alignment improved but didn't cure it. Two garages insisted nothing was worn but I eventually got fed up and pulled the rear suspension apart myself. Turned the ball joints in each of the rear uprights were knackered - you just couldn't tell with everything bolted up. They're about 20 quid each and pretty easy to change. The other bushes were fine - if they look ok they probably are (although I ended up doing a bit of a refurb and swapped a load of stuff out and painted the subframe - didn't fancy doing it twice).

I think Ian's advice re: dampers is probably sound given how many setups he's tried. I've got the Birds kit and am happy with it but if I was buying again I'd maybe try Ian's preferred Koni setup.
Definitely bouncy - I don't have any issues with tramlining, and it generally tracks straight and true, unless it hits an awkward bump at which point it gets very bouncy - there is a hump-backed bridge near me you can take at a decent lick - tried it in the 125i and the suspension didn't settle for around 500m afterwards....

Having priced up the 2 alternatives there doesn't seem to be much in it between B12 Kit and B4 + Eibach + BMWP Bumpstops, so I'm leaning towards that idea, just need to see if my mechanic can get hold of the bits or wants me to.

Thanks for your help folks, especially Ian - most valuable!

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:05 pm

No problems glad to help, i spent a lot of time and money trying many different configurations so happy to help others.

Basically if you dont mind a firmer but controlled ride go B12 kit its a decent uprated setup for money, however if your munching miles and comfort is a concern get B4 dampers etc, another option is the Koni Sport adjustable dampers that i like best but probably more than you need and bumps price up a bit more.

Ian
--

bodhi

Post by bodhi » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:18 pm

Just a quick update, I've spoken to the chap that looks after the 125i and he's currently speaking to Bilstein to see what he can source - he's recently done a similar job on a 6-Series so is quite comfortable taking it on.

I've asked him to price up the B12 Kit ideally - if he can get the bits in time, it will be going in on Thursday.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”