New owner with a 130i LE.

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Kenz

New owner with a 130i LE.

Post by Kenz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi all, picked up my 130i le on Monday night. Hoping to give it a good detail over the weekend and grab some better photos.

Couldn’t find a newbie section so thought I’d post here as I’m after a little bit of advice. On Tickover the car seems to fluctuate very slightly, I wouldn’t say it’s hunting, almost like a small surge if that makes sense. The car seems to run really well and hasn’t thrown up any engine codes etc. Any suggestions on where to look or is this normal?

Plans are to tidy the interior up slightly, I want to get the steering wheel re trimmed by royal steering wheels and get a nice gear knob and gator. Also some black front kidneys and a front splitter.

Here’s some pics from when I picked it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenz

Re: New owner with a 130i LE.

Post by Kenz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Had a search online and it looks like it might be coil packs. The car has had new spark plugs at bmw recently so they should be okay.

CoupeSilver
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CoupeSilver » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Is it just the sound of the engine, or does the rev counter visibly move when it does it? Does it do it when cold or fully warmed up or both?

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:25 pm

CoupeSilver wrote:Is it just the sound of the engine, or does the rev counter visibly move when it does it? Does it do it when cold or fully warmed up or both?
The needle moves a small amount, it’s not hunting as such just fluctuating and you can feel it coming through the car a little bit. It seems to do it both warm and cold.

Thanks.

golfer
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by golfer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:49 pm

Lovely looking car Kenz. Hope you were filling up with V Power 👍
2006 E87 130i M sport - LMB - Black Leather - Slowly being cosmetically modded.

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:57 pm

golfer wrote:Lovely looking car Kenz. Hope you were filling up with V Power Image
Cheers, I haven’t actually had to put any fuel in it yet! Just took advantage of the petrol station lighting. I have a jap import as a second car that gets v power only.

Toed64

!

Post by Toed64 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:31 pm

Hello and welcome

Nice looking car...excellent choice - were you looking for long?
2008 E81 130i
2010 E82 135i - now sold

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:35 am

In my opinion one of the best small hatches ever. RWD, normally aspirated inline six! I'd run a few tanks of VPower through her and still see if you can notice the fluctuations in revs.
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:13 am

Toed64 wrote:Hello and welcome

Nice looking car...excellent choice - were you looking for long?
Thanks, not really. Originally I wanted a e9* 330d, but I was always looking at 130’s/335/535’s etc. Basically anything with the bmw badge 🤣.

This popped up at a good price and decided to go for it.

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:13 am

Ezzra wrote:In my opinion one of the best small hatches ever. RWD, normally aspirated inline six! I'd run a few tanks of VPower through her and still see if you can notice the fluctuations in revs.
I’ll give that a try, will try run the tank down quite low (not too much) then fill with v power Image.

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by paddyboy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:24 am

Many congrats on your new purchase Kenz - you made by far the best decision in the end ..... I'm ever so slightly biased :D

I wouldn't worry too much about the engine fluctuations - like the guys have said get some high RON fuel in it + just drive it + see how it goes

After a few tanks it may be better or it may be exactly the same - if it gets any worse then time for some more research + start asking around - this is a brilliant forum for that

I've been running mine on Shell v power since I've had it (18 months) no idea what the last owner put in it - it does run pretty smooth but who knows if that's down to the fuel or just good luck so far

Have fun + keep us updated how you get on :spotman:
'09' 130i M Sport Auto - Le Mans Blue / Boston Beige Leather

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:35 am

paddyboy wrote:Many congrats on your new purchase Kenz - you made by far the best decision in the end ..... I'm ever so slightly biased :D

I wouldn't worry too much about the engine fluctuations - like the guys have said get some high RON fuel in it + just drive it + see how it goes

After a few tanks it may be better or it may be exactly the same - if it gets any worse then time for some more research + start asking around - this is a brilliant forum for that

I've been running mine on Shell v power since I've had it (18 months) no idea what the last owner put in it - it does run pretty smooth but who knows if that's down to the fuel or just good luck so far

Have fun + keep us updated how you get on :spotman:

Thanks for the advice mate. I agree with what your saying am I’m going to leave it for now, if the problem gets worse then I’ll get it investigated or try solve the issue.

The car pulls through the gears super smooth from low rpm up to the top of the Rev range with no hesitations or anything so Everything ignition based seems to be okay.

So far I’m loving the car, can’t wait to give it a good clean this weekend and see how that carbon black comes up!

chris93

Post by chris93 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Nice car! My newly acquired 130i does the exact same thing on initial start but seems to settle down you can feel the car moving slightly from the idling going up and down.

I was going to change spark plugs and coil packs at first and see how that affects things.

Is your car still on the original water pump/thermostat?

Chris

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:21 pm

chris93 wrote:Nice car! My newly acquired 130i does the exact same thing on initial start but seems to settle down you can feel the car moving slightly from the idling going up and down.

I was going to change spark plugs and coil packs at first and see how that affects things.

Is your car still on the original water pump/thermostat?

Chris

I believe it is still on the original water pump and thermostat yeah. I don’t have any paperwork for it being changed anyway.

My car had new plugs fitted at bmw around 6 months ago so don’t think they would be my issue unless they aren’t quite gapped correctly.

chris93

Post by chris93 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Mine is still on the original after 126k miles but there is an error code showing against it so think I will have it changed. The Economy doesnt seem quite as good as it should either, Just over 30mpg on a gently run. Hopefully coil packs will help both our cars or maybe its MAF related.

Where are you based? i have all the diagnostic and coding stuff if you are near Reading

Chris

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”