New owner with a 130i LE.

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Kenz

Re: New owner with a 130i LE.

Post by Kenz » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:44 pm

chris93 wrote:
Kenz wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:14 pm
chris93 wrote:Thats pretty good! I think 40 is achievable in mine but it climbs very slowly! I wonder if your coolant is running warmer than mine, in my car it only ever gets to 97 max

Chris
Coolant or oil temp? I’m guessing you can check the oil temp with the on board computer?

My oil temp round town normally stays around 90/100ish. On the motorway it stayed at 110 iirc and didn’t move from there, one bar under half way Image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coolant, you can check it using the secret menu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oSdk8WGTKw

Gives you a good idea as to the health of the water pump and stat!
I’ve not checked, I’ll have a look tomorrow when I’m with the car. I have no paperwork of the water pump ever being done so will be interesting to see what the temps are.

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 pm

So when I first got the car I ran the tank of fuel down rather low, as some had suggested to fill up with v power to see if the tick over/idle improved, ran the car down to around 20 miles to empty.

On Friday I picked my dad up from work and he commented on the way home that he thought the idle had improved, less fluctuations on tick over and less vibrations coming through in to the cabin. So hopefully that’s the issue resolved.

Mr Whippy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mr Whippy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:03 pm

I was gonna comment when this thread was new, and having skim read again I can’t see, but was the car bought private or trade?

If trade it could have been sat a while which will often make a car a bit unhappy.

Glad to hear it’s running better now though!

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by paddyboy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:34 am

Kenz wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 pm
So when I first got the car I ran the tank of fuel down rather low, as some had suggested to fill up with v power to see if the tick over/idle improved, ran the car down to around 20 miles to empty.

On Friday I picked my dad up from work and he commented on the way home that he thought the idle had improved, less fluctuations on tick over and less vibrations coming through in to the cabin. So hopefully that’s the issue resolved.

That's good news Kenz so far so good :thumbs:

These cars don't like sitting around for too long - mines a 2nd car and especially in winter there'll be spells when I don't run it due to no winter tyres + many steep hills where I live so often when I come to use it it takes a good long run to get everything running nice n smooth again

Keep going with the vpower I use it if it helps its worth paying the extra
'09' 130i M Sport Auto - Le Mans Blue / Boston Beige Leather

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:31 pm

Mr Whippy wrote:I was gonna comment when this thread was new, and having skim read again I can’t see, but was the car bought private or trade?

If trade it could have been sat a while which will often make a car a bit unhappy.

Glad to hear it’s running better now though!
Private mate, seems to be running much better now.

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:36 pm

paddyboy wrote:
Kenz wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 pm

That's good news Kenz so far so good :thumbs:

These cars don't like sitting around for too long - mines a 2nd car and especially in winter there'll be spells when I don't run it due to no winter tyres + many steep hills where I live so often when I come to use it it takes a good long run to get everything running nice n smooth again

Keep going with the vpower I use it if it helps its worth paying the extra

Thanks, agreed I will carry on using v power. The car is in use everyday and gets up to temp on my commute.

My next issue is it appears I need a new battery Image, seems sluggish to turn over sometimes, especially this morning in the cold weather. I believe it still has the original battery fitted from factory.

Can anyone recommend a battery for my car? I don’t have stop start so don’t think I need an agm battery.

Demelitia
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Demelitia » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:35 pm

You don’t need stop start to require an agm battery.
Mines an LE as well so doesn’t have stop/start, but it does have the smart charging thing (efficient dynamics?) they put on where the alternator cuts off under acceleration to get power to the wheels then charges at a higher rate when coasting and braking (I think).
Either way mines an agm battery.
I had to replace mine early this year, same trouble with the cold and age just getting too much for it.
I got mine from the dealers and paid about £110- £120 for it with a bit of haggling.
It’s part number 61216805461. 70ah capacity 720a cold cranking amperage.
If you go the dealers route it might have been superseded by a new part, there were also a few options for amperage on their system so make sure they pick the right one.
Failing that, use those specs and have a look around for somewhere with a voucher code?

You’ll probably need to register the new battery to the car so it charges correctly, it’s been used to dealing with a battery way past it’s best that doesn’t have its original storage capacity. Most decent indies should be able to do it, or a forum member with the right gear and a fistful of beer tokens.
130i LE. BW Chiptune remap. BMWP: exhaust, intake/ filter, strut brace, alcantara, gear knob, hand brake. Camber pin mod. CDV delete. Carbon corner splitters. Cruise control retrofit. Digital speedo.

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Demelitia wrote:You don’t need stop start to require an agm battery.
Mines an LE as well so doesn’t have stop/start, but it does have the smart charging thing (efficient dynamics?) they put on where the alternator cuts off under acceleration to get power to the wheels then charges at a higher rate when coasting and braking (I think).
Either way mines an agm battery.
I had to replace mine early this year, same trouble with the cold and age just getting too much for it.
I got mine from the dealers and paid about £110- £120 for it with a bit of haggling.
It’s part number 61216805461. 70ah capacity 720a cold cranking amperage.
If you go the dealers route it might have been superseded by a new part, there were also a few options for amperage on their system so make sure they pick the right one.
Failing that, use those specs and have a look around for somewhere with a voucher code?

You’ll probably need to register the new battery to the car so it charges correctly, it’s been used to dealing with a battery way past it’s best that doesn’t have its original storage capacity. Most decent indies should be able to do it, or a forum member with the right gear and a fistful of beer tokens.
Thanks for the reply, I’ve done a little bit of research. I think a regular battery would be okay but wouldn’t last as long as the smart charging battery. To be honest a regular battery is about £60/70 off euro car parts so I’ll check with bmw how much it would be if I buy from them. I appreciate the part numbers you have provided Image, cheers.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”