Another pad sensor cock-up!

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Producethis, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Lambster, marco_polo

Tom_B
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Another pad sensor cock-up!

Post by Tom_B » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:44 pm

OK, I (now) realise this has been covered in multiple posts previously, but due to my special level of ineptitude I seem to have irretrievably got a red service warning - here's the storyline:

I had an MOT advisory that my rear pads were getting a little low - but had no dash warnings (red or yellow), but decided to replace the pads and on a whim opted to do the front discs & pads too.
I did the fronts first, and also replaced the wear sensor (in truth only because I managed to snap the wire - the sensor itself was untouched). Flushed with success, I followed the instructions on accessing the service menu and reset the front brake service interval. However, whilst I was at it I thought I'd be clever and reset the rear brakes too - knowing that I was doing those pads next. As has been expansively covered in other posts, the car immediately spotted my attempt to deprive BMW of the purchase of pad sensor and refused to reset. By way of retaliation, it also lit up the red "car on a lift" service lamp.

After some digging here (and swearing), I discovered the excellent guidance about shorting the sensor etc - which I duly did, and then successfully got the car to reset the rear brake service. I also checked that the sensor hadn't had any wear and then re-soldered the wires.
However, despite the fact that each of the individual service items are now reset the red warning still shows every time I start or stop the car! Aargh!

Any ideas how to clear it? Or am I doomed to have to go to a main dealer to get them to reset it and endure a torrent of disapproval about my incompetence?

Tom

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Another pad sensor cock-up!

Post by Twenny » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 pm

Tom_B wrote:OK, I (now) realise this has been covered in multiple posts previously, but due to my special level of ineptitude I seem to have irretrievably got a red service warning - here's the storyline:

I had an MOT advisory that my rear pads were getting a little low - but had no dash warnings (red or yellow), but decided to replace the pads and on a whim opted to do the front discs & pads too.
I did the fronts first, and also replaced the wear sensor (in truth only because I managed to snap the wire - the sensor itself was untouched). Flushed with success, I followed the instructions on accessing the service menu and reset the front brake service interval. However, whilst I was at it I thought I'd be clever and reset the rear brakes too - knowing that I was doing those pads next. As has been expansively covered in other posts, the car immediately spotted my attempt to deprive BMW of the purchase of pad sensor and refused to reset. By way of retaliation, it also lit up the red "car on a lift" service lamp.

After some digging here (and swearing), I discovered the excellent guidance about shorting the sensor etc - which I duly did, and then successfully got the car to reset the rear brake service. I also checked that the sensor hadn't had any wear and then re-soldered the wires.
However, despite the fact that each of the individual service items are now reset the red warning still shows every time I start or stop the car! Aargh!

Any ideas how to clear it? Or am I doomed to have to go to a main dealer to get them to reset it and endure a torrent of disapproval about my incompetence?

Tom
Afraid all I can offer is if you live near Dartford I can use Carly and may be able to reset the problem?
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:21 am

Just for the absolute avoidance of doubt, you have checked there is nothing else due for action, havent you. Being February, maybe something date driven has become due?

I suspect not, but you’d feel daft going into “complicated” fixes if it was something simple.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Not long now until the end of May...

Rarebit
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Rarebit » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:32 am

I had to unplug the sensors and replug them in when I did this then it reset ok
2013 M135i - :spotman:
130i LE - gone

Rarebit
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Rarebit » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 am

Rarebit wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:32 am
I had to unplug the sensors and replug them in when I did this then it reset ok
Edit: I had the dashes on each brake too so may be a different issue. But I did exactly the same as you and was unable to reset anything until I replugged in the sensors
2013 M135i - :spotman:
130i LE - gone

Tom_B
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tom_B » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Thank you for your responses guys - and yes, to confirm: all of the individual service items in the menu now show either dates in the future or a large number (I assume "miles remaining").

When I first attempted the rear brake reset I got the whirling clock followed by a line of dashes, but after shorting the wires and trying again it appeared to work (and now shows "80000" or a box with a tick in it if I press the BC button).

I'll try actually replacing the sensor, and if that doesn't work I'll investigate whether this is fixable via coding (thanks for the offer Twenny)

Tom

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”