BMW 130i - a review of mods & trackday

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Willz135
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: BMW 130i - a review of mods & trackday

Post by Willz135 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Only now saw this, excellent write up mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 N54 135i Carbon Black with BMWP Exhaust, Wheels, Body Kit, Gearstick, Short-Shift, & Pedals

Molinites

Post by Molinites » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Old news yes but very informative thank you.

unutterable83
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by unutterable83 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Molinites wrote:Old news yes but very informative thank you.
Thanks a lot. Glad it was useful.

2005 BMW 130i, M3 steering rack, adjustable toe arms, lower control arms, rear subframe, bilstein b12, braided lines, style 68m wheels ... LSD work in progress

unutterable83
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by unutterable83 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:52 am

ImageImageImageImage

So Yokohama AD08R fitted today, for others I wanted to confirm the sizing. I wanted more meat in my tyres and more width.

I went from yoko V105 in a 225/45R17, to a 235/45R17 on a 7.5" wheel.

The tyre sidewall is 6mm further out from the old tyre sidewall, which you might expect. What I didn't expect is the tread is actually 26mm wider! The tyre is squarer, so this adds 13mm to the width of the tyre sidewall vs. the old tyre.
I binned my 12mm spacer and it fits like a glove up front, rear has gone down to a 8mm.

On another note, I asked the tyre fitter to align the yellow dot on the tyre with the valve, it turns out this is technically quite a challenge for the fitter. The tyre fitter also insisted it was "internet bollocks" and "didn't mean anything" and it ended up balancing perfectly without weights. Result.

Will report back on performance.

2005 BMW 130i, M3 steering rack, adjustable toe arms, lower control arms, rear subframe, bilstein b12, braided lines, style 68m wheels ... LSD work in progress

stevenzx

Post by stevenzx » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:48 am

hi bro, do you have email or instagram? thanks
steve
unutterable83 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:29 am
Having completed several projects on the 130i over the last few months, I thought I would share my views and comment on ease of install, cost & benefit:

- M3 Steering Rack - this is just great, the most fun upgrade; a bit fiddly but straightforward enough to fit and makes the car feel like a go-kart! Just allow time for an alignment afterwards to correct toe. For information i used 130i fluid pipes and 130i toe arms. I think i paid about £100 for my rack and the 130i rack sells for £50 so super cheap.

-Bilstein B12 suspension - this is the best all round upgrade, just makes the car feel right, I imported from ebay.de and it was circa £500 delivered. Allow another £100 for bushes/mounts, it is also a LOT easier if you have an impact gun to fit the strut top nut (thanks Rob180!). There is a good fitting video on youtube by ECS tuning (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YkVs_jm9R4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

- M3 LCAs up front, these allow more negative camber and when combined with the steering rack have made the car incredibly pointy - super easy to fit but requires alignment afterwards. Roughly £75 for parts. The other arms are all identical in length, so only buy them if you think you will feel the difference the better M3 bushes will offer (i didnt bother). I run maximum possible neg camber front, slight toe out at front, slight toe in at rear.

- 17" alloys - I went down to a 17 inch wheel as I like a meaty tyre, better ride, low weight, cheap tyres & better accel/pick up etc. I went with BMW style 68s as they are sub 10kg and typically cost circa £75 for 4 with tyres used! You can really feel the difference over standard 18s (circa 12kgs). *now I have bought the Autec wheels these are track only wheels

- 18" wheels - I ran 225/40/18 all round and this reduced any understeer on the standard car and made it much more fun and balanced, front to back grip wise, I had goodyear eagle f1s which I melted all too often but others like them!?

- 6 x Stainless steel brake lines and Gulf branded 5.1 racing brake fluid (Opie Oils) - The brake lines increase feel and initial bite, but the DOT 4 quickly boiled, I only recently replaced the fluid with 5.1 and it made a huge difference. I did a track day on slicks and didnt get any brake fade (on standard single piston 130i brakes!).

- M3 Anti roll bars front and back - keep the car nicely flat (albeit not totally flat on the track) - worth doing at the same time as the rear axle bush inserts or rear subframe install as you need to drop the subframe (easier than it sounds). Its hilarious how puny the 130i ones are!

- M3 Limited slip diff - The LSD is the most insane change i have made to the car. With the open diff I had become quite good at hanging it sideways and keeping it there, but i had to be pretty aggressive with it. With the LSD, you need a totally different technique, controlled smooth inputs and restraint! But it is a lot of fun and adds another dimension to the car, that i will enjoy trying to master. I am using M3 driveshafts and 130i hubs - not sure anyone has confirmed this is possible before - but i can tell you it is! Removing the driveshafts was supposed to be a pig, but mine were OK (55 reg 85k miles). The custom prop shaft is a pain, but any driveshaft shop can do it, allow £50 for a v8 prop another £175 for fabrication and balancing of both halves. You can see the M3 cooling fins hanging down below the car at any angle - very cool.

- Avon ACB11 rallycross cut slicks 225/640/17 on style 68s - I used these on a track day this weekend and they were incredible and available pretty cheap on ebay - a good alternative to trashing expensive road tyres or R888s. They come up as a 245/45/17

- M3 rear subframe, removes the squat and bounce you get from the standard rear axle bushes. It is also a much nicer item than standard pressed steel job. Allow for new brake lines at the rear and to replace the original hard brake pipes as the connectors are likely to be corroded. I used proper MOT friendly joiners to splice new lengths of copper into the OEM steel lines to save replacing the whole lot. FYI- I also ran my 130i diff/driveshafts/prop and hubs whilst i sourced a cheap LSD. This subframe requires custom / adjustable rear toe arms... Which is a bit of a ballache. Better to just fit packing inserts into the 130i subframe if you ask me.

-M3 rear control arms - same geometry as 130i - just better bushes and alloy rather than pressed steel - easy to fit

Updates:

-F20 Brembo BMW Performance Brakes on 340/325mm discs (E39 M5)
Well they ft under my 17" wheels, so that is a bonus! These are incredible, tiny bit of extra pedal travel takes some getting used to, and they require a bit more leg effort. Great feel, haven't been able to fade then at all. Brakes are no longer an ongoing PITA.

-17" Autec Wizards - super light, super cheap. Down from 12kg standard to 7.8kg Autec per wheel. Makes a big difference to pick up and throttle response. Brakes felt sharper too. Unfortunately I have to run 12mm front and 20mm rear spacers to get the flush look I was after, but the alloy ones are pretty light.

- Yoko V105 Advan Sport tyre in 225/45/17 square. Great tyre, but just be warmed up more than any other tyre I have owned before. Under steers cold, but it has withstood miles of drifting and General hooning where others have delaminated or melted. Oh and they are cheap!

- mid resonator delete (y-pipe) and rear 135i backbox install. This is brilliant! I had been waiting for my annual mileage to fall and I am glad I did as I do have a bit of drone on the motorway, but in return it screams over 4K rpm (sounds just like an e46 m3 - no really!). And it pops, bangs and cracks on over run (subtly - just the right amount). My mpg has dropped as I can't help but tickle it everywhere - it sounds almost exotic- it's brilliant. I do find myself hitting the limiter now (never done it before) either because I get too into the sound, or because it pulls a bit quicker at the top end. Driven sensibly it looks and sounds stock(ish)

- bmw performance upper front strut brace. I bought this used and a word of warning first the mounting nuts that secure it to the struts are incredibly frail and easy to fracture so inspect them closely- they are £10 each to replace from BMW and I needed 2. This brace has further increased turn in, to the point I may need to play with my toe and tyre pressures as it is pretty wild now. I imagine it has reduced the flex between the struts so when you turns there is far less delay between the steering wheel turning and the direction changes. It's made such a difference that I need more time to adjust surrounding components.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
https://youtu.be/nqcnhztFAHU

unutterable83
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by unutterable83 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:09 am

When I get around to listing it this car will soon be going up for sale. Tough to value given the build and spec, open to serious offers around £7k

Boombap
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Boombap » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:09 pm

How many miles done?
2006 130i manual :)

Age1000

Post by Age1000 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:51 am

Does anyone’s know if I can fit E9x coilovers on my 2005 e87 130i?
I notice there is a pair online (BC racing).
Thanks in advance
A

tbt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tbt » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Age1000 wrote:Does anyone’s know if I can fit E9x coilovers on my 2005 e87 130i?
Thanks in advance
A
E9x and E8x are the same fitments so will be completely interchangeable physically.

You will just have to be sure that the spring and damper rates are what you want for your 130i as I’ve no idea what engine E9x chassis they’ve been specked for and what you want out of your setup.

2006 E87 130i BMWP Parts-[Exhaust/Intake/Fr & Rr Brakes/Strut Brace/SS Kit]
M3 Parts-[Rear Subframe/Rear upper arms/Front Tension & LCA]
Quaife LSD, Bilstein B12 kit, Megan Racing toe arms, E46 M3 trans mounts, CDV delete

unutterable83
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by unutterable83 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:15 am

tbt wrote:
Age1000 wrote:Does anyone’s know if I can fit E9x coilovers on my 2005 e87 130i?
Thanks in advance
A
E9x and E8x are the same fitments so will be completely interchangeable physically.

You will just have to be sure that the spring and damper rates are what you want for your 130i as I’ve no idea what engine E9x chassis they’ve been specked for and what you want out of your setup.

I would be careful as the hubs are different, but this is off topic.

105k miles
Full MOT

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”