130i hunters unite!

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Producethis, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Lambster, marco_polo

Mr Whippy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:39 pm

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by Mr Whippy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:36 am

They’re money pits just like any other 10yr old 100k mile+ car...

But if you want to enjoy them then you need to spend to get them nice.

I’d had my similar era Z4 from 4-13yrs old and 60-125k miles and at first it was solid, later it was, but I was spending on average £700 a year in the years after it was 10yrs old keeping it very nice and arguably that still wasn’t enough to keep it mint and that was lots of DIY work etc.

Most 130i I see haven’t had a great deal spent on the core stuff that’ll be starting to need doing now.

Or if money has been spent it’s been on less than ideal quality fixes.
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump

Imprezaworks
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by Imprezaworks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:50 am

Would a 123d be a viable option?. I may have mentioned it before but they seem more a plenty than the 130

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:52 pm
Location: Devon

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by swanny71 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Mr Whippy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:36 am
They’re money pits just like any other 10yr old 100k mile+ car...

But if you want to enjoy them then you need to spend to get them nice.

I’d had my similar era Z4 from 4-13yrs old and 60-125k miles and at first it was solid, later it was, but I was spending on average £700 a year in the years after it was 10yrs old keeping it very nice and arguably that still wasn’t enough to keep it mint and that was lots of DIY work etc.

Most 130i I see haven’t had a great deal spent on the core stuff that’ll be starting to need doing now.

Or if money has been spent it’s been on less than ideal quality fixes.
8 years and 110k+ miles with mine so I know a little bit about the running costs. She’s now on 164k miles, 11 years old and I don't spend anything like £700/year keeping it in tip top shape, but I am handy with the spanners.

Also look after other family cars (2005 Clio, 2009 Fiesta and 2003 Corsa) with 100k + mileages - they are all higher maintenance whilst doing do significantly lower annual mileage.
Current: 130i & 1M
Previous: Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

Mr Whippy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:39 pm

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by Mr Whippy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Well you’ve just got to about 10 years old haha.

Plus if you’ve had it a while you’ve already got it how you want it. Brakes, tyre choice, etc.

Buying a random quantity used car then getting it how you want it and sorting any issues isn’t cheap.

I saw in all my time looking one car that was genuinely no expense spared and it was £11,000 on a 58 with 45k miles.

And chances are next year it might need a water pump, a damper or two, maybe the cam cover seal failing, a battery getting weak.


I’ll admit they’re good once they’re good, but 90% of the thin selection out there to buy are not good enough to just leave as you buy them imo.
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:52 pm
Location: Devon

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by swanny71 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:36 pm

It’s 11 years old, considerably higher mileage than most and very far from being a money pit and never has been.

Don’t buy a “random quality” car would be the obvious response to your flawed logic. There are good/great examples out there, if a person is prepared to look long and hard enough.

As I said earlier, some examples could well be, others are not. To imply they all are is just bollox.
Current: 130i & 1M
Previous: Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

rm1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by rm1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:54 pm

3.0 bmw's will cost money to maintain as they age but they are still a lot cheaper overall than than the new stuff bought via PCP and in the case of the 130 great fun to drive.

Greg79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by Greg79 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:31 pm

Sorry to interupt, but I will be selling my 130 LE shortly (mainly because I need a 5 door) and could do with some help on pricing from those in the know.

It's an 07 which has done 126k and cosmetically there will be better examples about (kerbed wheels, scrape on the lower bumper etc) but mechanically it's not wanted for much as I have the insured warranty.

Would the negatives of mileage and cosmetics be offset by having big bills like £2k water pump and irritations like wiper/mirror/starter motors etc being sorted relatively recently?

Prices seem all over the place and I basically want to pitch it so I don't get involved with picking over the cosmetics and it's goes quick, but so I don't get done over myself.

(When I sold my 120d I knocked the price of a new clutch off, so I could walk away with a clear conscience, and the scrum of ebay traders that followed suggests I went too low.)

Cheers.
2007 130i LE

130ste
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by 130ste » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:54 pm

For me as a newbie to 130’s looking for my first one I’d be interested in one that was mechanically sorted but needed cosmetic work.
Whether the cost of the work done would offset the cost of the cosmetic repairs is a harder one to answer. Shiny cars sell!
Greg79 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:31 pm
Sorry to interupt, but I will be selling my 130 LE shortly (mainly because I need a 5 door) and could do with some help on pricing from those in the know.

It's an 07 which has done 126k and cosmetically there will be better examples about (kerbed wheels, scrape on the lower bumper etc) but mechanically it's not wanted for much as I have the insured warranty.

Would the negatives of mileage and cosmetics be offset by having big bills like £2k water pump and irritations like wiper/mirror/starter motors etc being sorted relatively recently?

Prices seem all over the place and I basically want to pitch it so I don't get involved with picking over the cosmetics and it's goes quick, but so I don't get done over myself.

(When I sold my 120d I knocked the price of a new clutch off, so I could walk away with a clear conscience, and the scrum of ebay traders that followed suggests I went too low.)

Cheers.

456lbft
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by 456lbft » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Nice one. Is it unusual to have cruise control on an LE? Was it retro fitted, or did they all come with it along with all the other options? It never seems to be listed on LE ads, so I'm not sure whether it's standard fitment or not.

456lbft
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by 456lbft » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:21 pm

Joe81 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:04 pm
456lbft wrote:
Joe81 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:33 pm
Image

Hopefully the image works...

It has a few tasteful modifications from previous owner:
- M Performance S.S.K.
- M Performance Handbrake kit
- M Performance Exhaust
- Retro-fit Cruise Control
- Heated Seats (managed to source Lemon Boston Leather Seats with heated and electric, memory etc. and fit them)

The list could go on... It’s fair to say in the 24 hours of ownership I’ve had it, I’m very very happy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good buy, was that in East Midlands?
Thanks, it was near Farnborough. It wasn’t actually listed for sale, the previous owner got in touch with me as I’d posted about looking for one. He didn’t want to sell it until the new year but as I had the money waiting we managed to bring the sale forward to before Christmas.

As for list of jobs... For peace of mind I’m doing the following this month:
- Water Pump (Just clocked 90k and I believe it’s still the original... Image)
- Thermostat
- Rocker Cover Gasket (weeping slightly)
- Coils



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice one. Is it unusual to have cruise control on an LE? Was it retro fitted, or did they all come with it along with all the other options? It never seems to be listed on LE ads, so I'm not sure whether it's standard fitment or not.

Mr Whippy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:39 pm

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by Mr Whippy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:31 pm

swanny71 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:36 pm
It’s 11 years old, considerably higher mileage than most and very far from being a money pit and never has been.

Don’t buy a “random quality” car would be the obvious response to your flawed logic. There are good/great examples out there, if a person is prepared to look long and hard enough.

As I said earlier, some examples could well be, others are not. To imply they all are is just bollox.
They’re all random quality though.

I feel you’ve got a different view as you bought nearly new with low previous owners and low miles and kept it nice... because you’re keeping it.
95% of the cars out there aren’t like yours any more though.

The chances are those with the best models with money spent in the right places, aren’t selling... that’s why they’ve spent on them.
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump

120Ddriver
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:51 am

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by 120Ddriver » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:07 pm

swanny71 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:09 pm
8 years and 110k+ miles with mine so I know a little bit about the running costs. She’s now on 164k miles, 11 years old and I don't spend anything like £700/year keeping it in tip top shape, but I am handy with the spanners.

Also look after other family cars (2005 Clio, 2009 Fiesta and 2003 Corsa) with 100k + mileages - they are all higher maintenance whilst doing do significantly lower annual mileage.
Meh, you expect anything French to be high maintenance. And Vauxhall isn't much better, especially the 2003 Corsa, which is high on insurance & has noisy timing chain failures.

A BMW can look after you if you change the oil regularly etc. I personally wouldn't buy a BMW if you don't have disposable income to spunk on maintenance. And buy a well looked after one. You don't want to be buying a BMW off some chav looking drug dealer that hasn't done a single thing of maintenance and rallied it for the duration of their ownership.

You want lady, middle aged or older men owned BMW's with extensive service history.

I personally don't follow the 20,000 or 2 years service intervals. I cut all of it in half. And change oil & filter at about 8,000-10,000 miles. Better service at 2 years or 20,000 with pollen filter. I also get aircon regassed or checked every two years.

I also change differential oil & gearbox oil at 60,000 miles, if still in my ownership. I always change these oils on newly purchased BMW's. Sealed for life no oil change my backside, hence the drain & fill plugs, you don't see them on many Ford's etc, as you have to remove the driveshaft and suck it out with a pump.

Don't buy a rich man's car if you aren't rich. Too many people do this and just don't service them to save costs. Then when something fails from their lack of servicing "BMW'S ARE UNRELIABLE GARBAGE!!!!"

Imprezaworks
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by Imprezaworks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:24 pm

Will keep looking ha ha

Greg79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by Greg79 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:27 am

130ste wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:54 pm
For me as a newbie to 130’s looking for my first one I’d be interested in one that was mechanically sorted but needed cosmetic work.
Whether the cost of the work done would offset the cost of the cosmetic repairs is a harder one to answer. Shiny cars sell!
Thanks for this. Good to know people won't be immediately put off - though I think I fell into the 'shiny cars sell' camp originally and was just fortunate it hadn't been abused!

Looking at eBay and the mileage, it looks like it'll need to be under £4k as you start to get tasty BMWP bits or fewer miles above that anyway. Although that's just comparing list prices, I'm still not sure what they actually change hands at.
2007 130i LE

Mr Whippy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:39 pm

Re: 130i hunters unite!

Post by Mr Whippy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:15 am

120Ddriver wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:07 pm
swanny71 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:09 pm
8 years and 110k+ miles with mine so I know a little bit about the running costs. She’s now on 164k miles, 11 years old and I don't spend anything like £700/year keeping it in tip top shape, but I am handy with the spanners.

Also look after other family cars (2005 Clio, 2009 Fiesta and 2003 Corsa) with 100k + mileages - they are all higher maintenance whilst doing do significantly lower annual mileage.
Meh, you expect anything French to be high maintenance. And Vauxhall isn't much better, especially the 2003 Corsa, which is high on insurance & has noisy timing chain failures.

A BMW can look after you if you change the oil regularly etc. I personally wouldn't buy a BMW if you don't have disposable income to spunk on maintenance. And buy a well looked after one. You don't want to be buying a BMW off some chav looking drug dealer that hasn't done a single thing of maintenance and rallied it for the duration of their ownership.

You want lady, middle aged or older men owned BMW's with extensive service history.

I personally don't follow the 20,000 or 2 years service intervals. I cut all of it in half. And change oil & filter at about 8,000-10,000 miles. Better service at 2 years or 20,000 with pollen filter. I also get aircon regassed or checked every two years.

I also change differential oil & gearbox oil at 60,000 miles, if still in my ownership. I always change these oils on newly purchased BMW's. Sealed for life no oil change my backside, hence the drain & fill plugs, you don't see them on many Ford's etc, as you have to remove the driveshaft and suck it out with a pump.

Don't buy a rich man's car if you aren't rich. Too many people do this and just don't service them to save costs. Then when something fails from their lack of servicing "BMW'S ARE UNRELIABLE GARBAGE!!!!"
As the amount of 130i is pretty small and as they’ve aged etc, each owner will likely skimp more and more.
The number of good ones that don’t need a ‘catch up’ on all the stuff that slowly fails, will be small.

Unless you are willing to spend 6-12 months waiting, and jumping each time a car appears to go check it out just in case, ultimately you may as well just buy an “ok” one and accept some cash is needed to get it really nice.

I went to see a few expensive examples and wasn’t happy just with the bodywork and interior wear alone for the prices being asked.

Plus there is some satisfaction in bringing a mid level example back to a high standard and keeping more 130i on a good trajectory.


Peugeot’s are a nightmare haha, but they were often a hoot out of the box. GTi6 and Mi16 were any way.
If only BMW could release each car on its own merits rather than structuring the M to be the best by making lower models artificially inferior.

The 130i is clearly a lot more capable than the ‘out of the box’ setup provides.
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump

Post Reply

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”