New Golf R vs M135i

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F40.
Manufactured from 2019

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

Chapscrap
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: New Golf R vs M135i

Post by Chapscrap »

Zapad wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:28 am It's all about perception. Loads of people (probably a lot here) bought the old 1 series which to my eyes was a total train wreck. Looked like a bread van. Ghastly.
I was an early adopter for the original 1 series, bought mainly as was small ish and rwd, but also because it looked so different to other 5 door hatches at the time.
Current: June 2019 M140 auto Shadow, Sunset Orange/Oyster/Adaptive, + options.
Gone: Too numerous to list, but I am quite old.
Kugaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Kugaman »

Zapad wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:34 pm It's to do with the photography... Wide angle distortion effects you get with mobile phone cameras these days. Makes it almost a comic sketch of the real thing.

It looks actually best in real life...
Totally disagree with that, I think it looks much worse in real life.
ttattwa
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ttattwa »

Kugaman wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:10 pm
Zapad wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:34 pm It's to do with the photography... Wide angle distortion effects you get with mobile phone cameras these days. Makes it almost a comic sketch of the real thing.

My thoughts on this:
Mobile phone cameras do distort pictures a lot, and cars are a product of proportion (a car can be either very nice or very ugly depending on its proportions). That's a fact and if I shoot a picture of my car with a 85mm equivalent lens on my camera it will look more like reality than using a 24mm equivalent with plenty of digital correction applied to each photo (as in a typical smartphone camera).

That said, the Golf historically takes time to get used to, at least it has happened to me since the mk2 came out. Then after some time the old one feels outdated and the new one feels nicer. I have a feeling that the mk8 is following the same design pattern (I'm just talking about the outside here).

The Golf has a pretty easy shape to photograph, though. So in pictures it looks very similar, if not slightly better sometimes, than in real life.

The 1 Series BMW is the car where I have noticed the biggest difference between pictures and real life perception: it looks awesome in real life, even a regular 118i with 17", and for some weird reason in pictures it's really hard to see the overall shape, proportion, curves, details, etc... unless you're looking at it straight from the back (then it looks very nice even in pictures).

No one should discard a 1 Series just from pictures, that's for sure.

As a last comment, a big plus on each generation of GTI has been the alloy wheel design, and this year they have designed the worse alloys ever. The 17" and the 18" that come with the GTI are ugly as hell. They basically make you upgrade to the 19" if you want to have something decent. I've never seen that happening in a GTI, from the beautiful 16" BBS era to the last mk7 model, even the basic 17"'s were nice. The "R" has a similar problem: the 18's are low quality and ugly, the 19's look much much better so you basically have to go with 19's. On the 128ti or the M135i, all 3/4 options are nice and it's more a matter of taste than discarting the ugly ones.

These are my thoughts anyway.
Carlosfandang0
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Carlosfandang0 »

Yeah that is my opinion too, although it’s grown on me a touch, I do think the MK8 looks far worse in person, particularly the GTI, where as the F40 actually looks better in person! 🤷‍♂️
Current -
2020 Storm Bay M135i, TechPack1, M135i PlusPack, ComfortPack2, Panoramic Roof, Load through, Lumbar, Gloss Black Grill and Canards, Carbon Mirrors.

👇See My Car Up against the new S3 here👇
—-— https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU —-—
SimonCW
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by SimonCW »

ttattwa wrote:

My thoughts on this:
Mobile phone cameras do distort pictures a lot, and cars are a product of proportion (a car can be either very nice or very ugly depending on its proportions). That's a fact and if I shoot a picture of my car with a 85mm equivalent lens on my camera it will look more like reality than using a 24mm equivalent with plenty of digital correction applied to each photo (as in a typical smartphone camera).

That said, the Golf historically takes time to get used to, at least it has happened to me since the mk2 came out. Then after some time the old one feels outdated and the new one feels nicer. I have a feeling that the mk8 is following the same design pattern (I'm just talking about the outside here).

The Golf has a pretty easy shape to photograph, though. So in pictures it looks very similar, if not slightly better sometimes, than in real life.

The 1 Series BMW is the car where I have noticed the biggest difference between pictures and real life perception: it looks awesome in real life, even a regular 118i with 17", and for some weird reason in pictures it's really hard to see the overall shape, proportion, curves, details, etc... unless you're looking at it straight from the back (then it looks very nice even in pictures).

As a last comment, a big plus on each generation of GTI has been the alloy wheel design, and this year they have designed the worse alloys ever. The 17" and the 18" that come with the GTI are ugly as hell. They basically make you upgrade to the 19" if you want to have something decent. I've never seen that happening in a GTI, from the beautiful 16" BBS era to the last mk7 model, even the basic 17"'s were nice. The "R" has a similar problem: the 18's are low quality and ugly, the 19's look much much better so you basically have to go with 19's. On the 128ti or the M135i, all 3/4 options are nice and it's more a matter of taste than discarting the ugly ones.

Talking about alloys, Audi’s new S3 alloys design 18” or 19” are by far the worst designs ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BMW F44 M235i xDrive Gran Coupe::Storm Bay::Black Dakota Leather
M235i Plus pack with 19"552M Double-spoke alloy::Technology pack::Comfort pack 2::Panoramic Sunroof::Driving Assistant Pack::Gloss Black Grill::Canards::Mirrors::M Spoiler
ttattwa
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ttattwa »

SimonCW wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:57 am Talking about alloys, Audi’s new S3 alloys design 18” or 19” are by far the worst designs ever.
Yes.
Darlo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Darlo »

Well having debated a m135i and a 128ti when my 7.5R goes back..... my mk8 golf R arrives in March.

Dropped on with these decent lease deals which meant it was a similar price to m135i. I’ve added paint and bigger wheels for the look.

The m135i just didn’t hit the spot on the test drive and the zero reviews on the 128ti made it a none starter. I have put all my faith in the fantastic initial reviews of the new R. Mine won’t have the performance pack... but don’t plan in ‘drifting’ my 8 mile journey to work!

Will be interesting to see how it compares to m135i when uk road tests come in
Zapad
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Zapad »

Well a m135i isn't a golf R which depending on which side of the great divide you sit that's either a good thing or a bad thing.

I've not seen a mk8 R yet, when do you get yours?
GaryB1972
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GaryB1972 »

ttattwa wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:25 am

My thoughts on this:

C
Completely agree on the alloy design for the GTI, they look hideous
Current Alpine White 2017 M140i :twisted:
Arriving 01/03/21 Alpine White 2021 M135i :spotman:
Yea I love white :roll:
Darlo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Darlo »

Zapad wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:19 am Well a m135i isn't a golf R which depending on which side of the great divide you sit that's either a good thing or a bad thing.

I've not seen a mk8 R yet, when do you get yours?
Hopefully mid March.

I’ve only seen the pics and videos online. Don’t think there are any in the UK yet
Nickopolaidis

Post by Nickopolaidis »

I would have loved a new Golf R, problem is if I specced it exactly how I wanted it, it would have been £10k more than the almost full spec M135i I've ordered!

The only thing that really puts me off the Golf is the new instrument cluster. To me the black plastic surround gives the impression that the installed screen is a smaller version of what could be available (even though that's not the case). It's crying out for a larger LED panel to remove the cheap and tacky piano black bar it sits in!
Darlo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Darlo »

Nickopolaidis wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:21 pm I would have loved a new Golf R, problem is if I specced it exactly how I wanted it, it would have been £10k more than the almost full spec M135i I've ordered!

The only thing that really puts me off the Golf is the new instrument cluster. To me the black plastic surround gives the impression that the installed screen is a smaller version of what could be available (even though that's not the case). It's crying out for a larger LED panel to remove the cheap and tacky piano black bar it sits in!
Yep the price of the new R is crazy. I added a couple of options but some people have gone crazy.... £50k on a golf is pure madness.

I love my 7.5R and as I’ve said before when I drove the m135i I didn’t feel like I was getting in a better car. Sure there are bits of it I loved, much like the new S3. The R seems to tick more more boxes than the m135i or the S3. But it’s all down to personal taste for sure. Pricing/options of the m135, interior of the S3 and performance of the R would be perfect combo ha ha.
SOM140I

Post by SOM140I »

F1SpaceMonkey wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:17 am The mk8 Golf looks like a pig and has cost cutting all around if you watch the latest mk8 vids. Thats why its lighter! Great it has drift mode.....i'll use that on the way to work for an important meeting or on the way home from the supermarket.

Had a mk7.5 R and it was good. The ride and quality compared to the M135i is way way lower and with all the cost cutting on the mk8 i'm not in the slightest bit tempted by this new offering.
Completely agree with this.
GaryB1972
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GaryB1972 »

Just had a look at a few deals. Roughly £3k down, all options ticked £640pm! However a fully specced R with the exhaust will be a great motor and will have the 135 trying to keep up. But as mentioned the lack of buttons and a cheaper interior would put me off
Current Alpine White 2017 M140i :twisted:
Arriving 01/03/21 Alpine White 2021 M135i :spotman:
Yea I love white :roll:
Darlo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Darlo »

SOM140I wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:13 pm
F1SpaceMonkey wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:17 am The mk8 Golf looks like a pig and has cost cutting all around if you watch the latest mk8 vids. Thats why its lighter! Great it has drift mode.....i'll use that on the way to work for an important meeting or on the way home from the supermarket.

Had a mk7.5 R and it was good. The ride and quality compared to the M135i is way way lower and with all the cost cutting on the mk8 i'm not in the slightest bit tempted by this new offering.
Completely agree with this.
Fair comments. Goes to show that everyone sees/feels different things in cars. I felt my 7.5R was still a better all round car than the m135i that I test drove. I also felt it wasn’t as good as wife’s A35. Still a very good car. Just not as good.

I just hope the reviews of the new R are on point... big gamble getting one without a test drive ha ha

Return to “F40 (2019-tbd)”