Active Grill

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F40.
Manufactured from 2019

Moderators: Lambster, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo, babybmwadmin

firejelle

Re: Active Grill

Post by firejelle »

Coop16 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:51 pm It'll work fine but as said before, your can is designed to use the active flap system. Should you need to make warranty claims relating to the engine you won't be covered unfortunately. I spoke to a number of dealers and all said if I removed active flaps to fit a grille not designed got the car there would be issues with future warranty claims. Some said they would refuse all claims which I thought wasn't right. Others said any engine claims wouldn't be covered.

It's a gamble you take I suppose. Grille looks great btw👌
yeah its always a risk. But if i have the option i can re-install the flaps if needed. Thanks for all your help!
Coop16

Post by Coop16 »

Yeah always an option👌 Looks great either way
ScottC25

Post by ScottC25 »

Can someone explain all this to me in plain English, as I am not mechanically minded and not sure I am understanding it all.

Will give the background so that everyone knows what I'm trying to find out.

Just collected a 2021 MY M235i.

tried to order the gloss black grills for the car to be told they are not available.

Been told that they are only available for MY2020 cars because BMW do not make the Diamond style grill for cars with air flap control, which apparently the 2021 MY car now has.

Given the M135i and M235i car are more or less the same, have they made changes from the 2020 car to the 2021 car as I have seen plenty of M135i and M235i cars with the gloss black diamond style grills fitted?

Thanks
Coop16

Post by Coop16 »

Hi Scott

Simple terms the M135i dosent have active flaps. Your car has the same engine so can't see why yours would🤔

Simple way to look..... Go out to the car this morning and see if there is a plastic cover sitting behind the grille. Fire a picture up on here and we'll be able to tell instantly. You 'should' be able to fit the gloss black diamond design.
Dean_M
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dean_M »

bobster635d wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:26 am To the original question, the black plastic curtains behind the kidneys is present and closed on my car when parked. However, I can't say whether it opens up when I'm driving it - obviously! When I've got out of the car with the engine running the flaps are still closed. They must open some point to aid cooling but to be honest... its not something that keeps me up at night.
Yes, the shroud behind the grill is the active component. It stays shut initially to aid quicker engine warm up, and opens when it needs to.
SimonCW
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SimonCW »

I have Active grill on my M235i GC but I have yet to see it open. Probably because I don't drive far enough so far. :lol:
BMW F44 M235i xDrive Gran Coupe::Storm Bay::Black Dakota Leather
M235i Plus pack with 19"552M Double-spoke alloy::Technology pack::Comfort pack 2::Panoramic Sunroof::Driving Assistant Pack::Gloss Black Grill::Canards::Mirrors::M Spoiler
Coop16

Post by Coop16 »

It's a rare occurance to see it open! Mines was open yesterday sitting in traffic.

Hopefully we get a hot summer and it's never closed!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
GKR750k3

Post by GKR750k3 »

ScottC25 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:26 am Can someone explain all this to me in plain English, as I am not mechanically minded and not sure I am understanding it all.

tried to order the gloss black grills for the car to be told they are not available.

Been told that they are only available for MY2020 cars because BMW do not make the Diamond style grill for cars with air flap control, which apparently the 2021 MY car now has.

Given the M135i and M235i car are more or less the same, have they made changes from the 2020 car to the 2021 car as I have seen plenty of M135i and M235i cars with the gloss black diamond style grills fitted?

Thanks
If you have the active grill then you could fit the gloss black vertical slats grille part number ending 489 . Try speaking to Cotswold BMW regarding this as I found them very helpful and great prices
ScottC25

Post by ScottC25 »

GKR750k3 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:19 pm
ScottC25 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:26 am Can someone explain all this to me in plain English, as I am not mechanically minded and not sure I am understanding it all.

Thanks
If you have the active grill then you could fit the gloss black vertical slats grille part number ending 489 . Try speaking to Cotswold BMW regarding this as I found them very helpful and great prices
Yeah, they offered that when I was on the phone to them, would only change to black if we could still have the proper M235i style grills, so the cerium grey will remain for the time being.

Return to “F40 (2019-tbd)”