Baby BMW Forum banner

128ti delays - 128ti only

78K views 603 replies 76 participants last post by  Mike320msport 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Morning all, I know it seems to be going around the houses but I'm curious to try and ascertain the extent and information on the delays for the 128ti only. M135 seems to have a preference with the manufacturer but given I haven't ordered that I'm not interested in that information.

Could those with a 128ti on order please outline what's happening with you? When and who you ordered it with? Lease or dealer?

Much appreciated

Fyi I ordered mine 17th September

Alpine White/Red accents
Electronic lumbar
Sun protection glass
Park assist
Adaptive headlights
Berlin interior
Performance tyres

Pic added by moderator to make this appear in featured threads!

See less See more
#2 ·
128ti (tech pack) ordered 26/03/21. Lease via Arnold Clark
Planned build dates of July, August, October. Last week was told tech pack removed from order and now estimated build March 2022. My dealer says the information coming from BMW regarding the 128ti is awful. My last conversation was yesterday and they were honest and upfront, no idea at all when the car would be built. They have honoured the price which I am greatfull for but it's now not the spec I want.
Black sapphire
Red decals
No other options

Not looking great but reading this forum there are clearly orders made as late as June/July who have received their 128, so it's basically a lottery

Thanks

#3 ·
Mine took exactly 6 months from order to delivery, ordered May delivered October, originally promised July, August, September.... One thing I can say its well worth the wait. I was on the verge of canceling in September but hung on, it would have been the worst thing I could have done. I have done 600 miles in the week I have had it, and it exceeds expectations, we went on a break to Devon last week excellent round the twisting roads, and on the journey back yesterday managed 47 MPG and a steady speed. I have only opened it a couple of times as I am in the old school of running things in, but it goes like a train when you do, handling is excellent, interior well made, sound system not too bad (I did spec HK, but that was taken away in one of the delays) and I do like my music. I suppose with the HK what you haven't experienced you don't miss. The only extras I have are Pan roof and sun protection glass.

#4 ·
One other thing it was ordered non lease from a dealer (Sytner Solihull). No problems at all with the dealer, re-valued my p/x so benefited both ways, excellent deal to start and increased p/x. With regards to BMW genius some of them are excellent other are not very good at all, you just have to persevere, you will soon know who you are going to get a sensible reply from!

#5 ·
symia32 said:
Mine took exactly 6 months from order to delivery, ordered May delivered October, originally promised July, August, September.... One thing I can say its well worth the wait. I was on the verge of canceling in September but hung on, it would have been the worst thing I could have done. I have done 600 miles in the week I have had it, and it exceeds expectations, we went on a break to Devon last week excellent round the twisting roads, and on the journey back yesterday managed 47 MPG and a steady speed. I have only opened it a couple of times as I am in the old school of running things in, but it goes like a train when you do, handling is excellent, interior well made, sound system not too bad (I did spec HK, but that was taken away in one of the delays) and I do like my music. I suppose with the HK what you haven't experienced you don't miss. The only extras I have are Pan roof and sun protection glass.
Glad to hear you're loving it! I only test drove an m135xi and loved that, but ive seen just ONE 128ti on the road so far. So I feel great about having that rarity! I wish I could have ordered via a dealer but the difference in price for my requirements was in the £100s. I got a great deal at the time, and if id have ordered even earlier id have likely been able to spec even more! Ill likely stick with it, but im very impatient despite knowing I don't need it until March 😅

#6 ·
symia32 said:
There's nothing old school about running in, your car has a 1200 mile not exceeding 4500rpm running in schedule.

#7 ·
Bennmountain said:
symia32 said:
Glad to hear you're loving it! I only test drove an m135xi and loved that, but ive seen just ONE 128ti on the road so far. So I feel great about having that rarity! I wish I could have ordered via a dealer but the difference in price for my requirements was in the £100s. I got a great deal at the time, and if id have ordered even earlier id have likely been able to spec even more! Ill likely stick with it, but im very impatient despite knowing I don't need it until March 😅
My one concern was a few reviews said the suspension was on the hard side, but I find it just about right. You are right I have yet to see another on the road yet, hopefully that will change when a few more get their orders delivered.

#8 ·
Carlosfandang0 said:
symia32 said:
There's nothing old school about running in, your car has a 1200 mile not exceeding 4500rpm running in schedule.
I have always run cars in by the book, probably my engineering background, although some people love to tell you drive them hard from start, all to their own I suppose.

#9 ·
Ordered my 128ti on 13 September from BMW dealer
Storm Bay
Tech Pack
Comfort Pack 2
Driving Assistant
18" wheels with performance tyres
Panoramic roof
Sun protection glass
Split folding rear seats
Lumbar support
Not heard a peep from the dealer and don't know if I can wait till next April or later for the car as much as I really want it.

Edited to add in driving assistant which is no longer available when I go in to the configurator which means I will have lost that plus the HUD and who knows what else may be scrubbed off the spec before it is built. I would go used if I could find either a 128 or 135 with at least some of the extras in the right colour and at a decent interest rate but used APR is higher than the new so paying far more per month.

#10 ·
Ordered 1st of August on PCP from TRL (berry BMW) estimated delivery wk51 and build wk47. Told last week it was delayed to march 2022,
Got super lucky and the dealer had a cancelled order! which is being shipped to the UK this week! Should be picking up in 3-4weeks.

Different spec to what I order, has the comfort pack not to fussed about this but at this point happy to pay the extra haha.

#11 ·
POHLY said:
Ordered 1st of August on PCP from TRL (berry BMW) estimated delivery wk51 and build wk47. Told last week it was delayed to march 2022,
Got super lucky and the dealer had a cancelled order! which is being shipped to the UK this week! Should be picking up in 3-4weeks.

Different spec to what I order, has the comfort pack not to fussed about this but at this point happy to pay the extra haha.
The word jealous comes to mind here :lol2: Glad you have a good outcome and you have the added bonus of the Comfort Pack. Is it the colour you wanted or have you had to compromise on that?
Remember post some pics when you get it.

#12 ·
GampsBM said:
POHLY said:

The word jealous comes to mind here :lol2: Glad you have a good outcome and you have the added bonus of the Comfort Pack. Is it the colour you wanted or have you had to compromise on that?
Remember post some pics when you get it.
Yep wanted the white with red accents and that's what I'm getting :). Will definitely get some pictures up when the wait is finally over!

#14 ·
Boroozzy said:
Ordered my 128ti on 23 April from Arnold Clark
Black Sapphire
Decal Delete
Sun Protection glass
Cockpit Pro

Initial estimate of September 2021, delayed 4 times. Currently estimated Q1 2022
very similar position as yourself. Ordered 26/03/2021 via Arnold Clark
Black Sapphire
Tech Pack (now been removed from order)
Cockpit Pro

Delayed four times and now estimated build of week 10 2022, week commencing 07th March. Prepared to stick it out due to crazy used car prices and current lease deals are very poor in comparison to my deal.

#15 ·
Ordered via Snows Portsmouth
Order went in 3 July 21
Tech pack (half a tech pack now really)
Black sapphire
18's w/ performance tires

Just had news from Genius that it's been pushed back to Feb22 so sounds like that's the way most of the 128ti's are going. Very disappointed and snows have been next to useless really. Would warn anyone to avoid and go to Barons if anyone is in the south of England.

#16 ·
ShiftyMac said:
Order went in 3 July 21
Black sapphire

Just had news from Genius that it's been pushed back to Feb22 so sounds like that's the way most of the 128ti's are going. Very disappointed and snows have been next to useless really. Would warn anyone to avoid and go to Barons if anyone is in the south of England.
Truth be told Mac my lease company have been equally useless. Infact it is me that has been updating THEM of issues with BMW. They haven't communicated anything with me regarding lead times or spec issues and such, so I had them tell me the BMW order number so I can chase it myself (Stratstone Hull). News from them was delivery this time next year and im hoping to god thats not the case. That said, atleast if there are any MY22 updates for the 128ti, or other spec comes back I might be lucky enough to get it. Ive been assured the spec ive selected (as it stands) is unaffected, but we all know that can change!

#17 ·
I've emailed my dealer today saying that I would like an update re my 128 and have advised him of all the info on this forum regarding tech pack deletion etc and delayed delivery dates. Having just read the post by TRL in Order Status he is also stating that the 128 is more volatile and prone to rolling back in production status which could be due to parts such as interior trim etc that are specific to that model. I have told the dealer if there are too many extras deleted from my order or delivery date is delayed too long I may start looking at their second hand stock including the M135i. Only problem is my dealer who up to now has never even acknowledged any of my previous emails or texts so if that continues I may have to cancel and go elsewhere.

#18 ·
GampsBM said:
I've emailed my dealer today saying that I would like an update re my 128 and have advised him of all the info on this forum regarding tech pack deletion etc and delayed delivery dates. Having just read the post by TRL in Order Status he is also stating that the 128 is more volatile and prone to rolling back in production status which could be due to parts such as interior trim etc that are specific to that model. I have told the dealer if there are too many extras deleted from my order or delivery date is delayed too long I may start looking at their second hand stock including the M135i. Only problem is my dealer who up to now has never even acknowledged any of my previous emails or texts so if that continues I may have to cancel and go elsewhere.
Its a huge shame he has to, but also a blessing that we have the likes of Tony Lewis keeping up to date as best he can. I believe most dealers/providers will be reluctant to give accurate updates, whether information exists or not, due to the fear of cancelled orders. Im guessing being vague pays off for them as it keeps us guessing. I.e if I were told it would definitely be late next year and the spec id chosen wont be possible by that time, id rather know so I can cancel. That said, I DO want the car :(

#19 ·
Bennmountain said:
GampsBM said:
Its a huge shame he has to, but also a blessing that we have the likes of Tony Lewis keeping up to date as best he can. I believe most dealers/providers will be reluctant to give accurate updates, whether information exists or not, due to the fear of cancelled orders. Im guessing being vague pays off for them as it keeps us guessing. I.e if I were told it would definitely be late next year and the spec id chosen wont be possible by that time, id rather know so I can cancel. That said, I DO want the car :(
That's exactly how I feel. I really want the car but not prepared to take a base spec car so like you I'd rather know now and then cancel and go used or go for alternative. I think the dealer attitude stinks but as you say they will be reluctant to give too much info out as that could lead to more cancellations.

#20 ·
Bennmountain said:
ShiftyMac said:
Order went in 3 July 21
Black sapphire

Truth be told Mac my lease company have been equally useless. Infact it is me that has been updating THEM of issues with BMW. They haven't communicated anything with me regarding lead times or spec issues and such, so I had them tell me the BMW order number so I can chase it myself (Stratstone Hull). News from them was delivery this time next year and im hoping to god thats not the case. That said, atleast if there are any MY22 updates for the 128ti, or other spec comes back I might be lucky enough to get it. Ive been assured the spec ive selected (as it stands) is unaffected, but we all know that can change!
Yes it would appear that due to the unknown circumstances they prefer silence in order to rescue the likelihood of cancelled orders. I'm going to be going into the dealership maybe middle of November if it turns out my 128ti is in fact feb 22 at the earliest. Will be looking to transfer the deal I have onto a second hand M135i I think. If I can secure the 3% apr it maybe a blessing in disguise.

Honesty tends to go a long way but it would appear most just want to play with smoke and mirrors. Very frustrating that it seems to be the 128ti that is affected the most out of all of it!

#22 ·
ShiftyMac said:
Bennmountain said:
ShiftyMac said:
Order went in 3 July 21
Black sapphire

Yes it would appear that due to the unknown circumstances they prefer silence in order to rescue the likelihood of cancelled orders. I'm going to be going into the dealership maybe middle of November if it turns out my 128ti is in fact feb 22 at the earliest. Will be looking to transfer the deal I have onto a second hand M135i I think. If I can secure the 3% apr it maybe a blessing in disguise.

Honesty tends to go a long way but it would appear most just want to play with smoke and mirrors. Very frustrating that it seems to be the 128ti that is affected the most out of all of it!
Id be thinking the same. Id love to go used or step up to a 135 but the lease deal I have is literally as cheap as its going to get. Going PCP with the terms I need would break the bank. So if I want it I guess ill have to suck it up. That said, I purposely held out ordering as late as possible to time it for a March ETA. If id have know about the issues (joined this forum too late) id have ordered earlier when the lease deals were even cheaper!

#23 ·
Honestly, I don't think your deal is that great, certainly not one worthy of waiting 12 months for. I'd only hang on if the deal is affordable for you AND you really want the car. Otherwise it's make much more sense looking elsewhere.

#24 ·
Superdon said:
Honestly, I don't think your deal is that great, certainly not one worthy of waiting 12 months for. I'd only hang on if the deal is affordable for you AND you really want the car. Otherwise it's make much more sense looking elsewhere.
There is honestly nothing else on the market that covers everything im after. The only thing id take over it is a 3 series estate and even used, for the deposit I can afford I still wont get anything for less than £400, or anywhere near. Let alone all the further commitments such as tax, service, MOT and such.

For a brand new 128ti, only a 3 year commitment, 12k miles a year, RFL paid and breakdown cover with the spec I want, I didnt think £391 was particularly disappointing. There may have been better deals out there before I ordered but at the time I did order, this was the best!

#25 ·
GampsBM said:
That's exactly how I feel. I really want the car but not prepared to take a base spec car so like you I'd rather know now and then cancel and go used or go for alternative. I think the dealer attitude stinks but as you say they will be reluctant to give too much info out as that could lead to more cancellations.
100% with you on this sentiment. I've lost the HK, the HUD and now (likely) driving assistant - I am pretty much at the door of cancellation and looking at the 135i. I can take the waiting - losing the spec is a problem. Slightly annoyed that I have spend more now to keep my banger on the road.

I can only assume that they cannibalise parts from 128ti orders to fulfil newer higher margin orders. Probably standard practice and barely noticeable when supply was good!

#26 ·
If I lost HUD or HK I'd cancel, I made that clear when I sent the spec of my M135i, started off as a 128ti but there was no way I was getting one for at least 4 months by which time they said my car that I'm PX could be worth a lot less and I'd have to pay more negative equity on it!