128ti noticeable issue when going through gear changes

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F40.
Manufactured from 2019

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

spacey3

128ti noticeable issue when going through gear changes

Post by spacey3 »

I have had my 128ti since new in July of this year, I test drove a car previously and it was fine. When the new one was delivered to me I found that I was having a little issue with the smooth gear changes that are supposed to occur and did in the demo car I drove.

What happens (and specifically either in a cold start) or certain conditions it feels that you are being kicked from behind to engage the gear. Sometimes it is more prominent than other times.

In a cold start morning its mild but noticeable when it changes and usually in the lower gears.

The worse one is when you are going over humps and take your foot off the accelerator to coast over them and then reengage at this point it kicks to engage the gear thrusting you forward or like a jolt from behind. This also seems to occur when you approach a roundabout and brake late to then put your foot back down and it kicks the change.

This doesn't occur every time but enough to annoy anyone driving it.

Is this normal? I have involved BMW in this from the start and they have now had it at a dealer for a week, the technician said it was in his view unacceptable and raised a case but BMW have said it is within parameters.
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: 128ti noticeable issue when going through gear changes

Post by Ezzra »

spacey3 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:09 am I have had my 128ti since new in July of this year, I test drove a car previously and it was fine. When the new one was delivered to me I found that I was having a little issue with the smooth gear changes that are supposed to occur and did in the demo car I drove.

What happens (and specifically either in a cold start) or certain conditions it feels that you are being kicked from behind to engage the gear. Sometimes it is more prominent than other times.

In a cold start morning its mild but noticeable when it changes and usually in the lower gears.

The worse one is when you are going over humps and take your foot off the accelerator to coast over them and then reengage at this point it kicks to engage the gear thrusting you forward or like a jolt from behind. This also seems to occur when you approach a roundabout and brake late to then put your foot back down and it kicks the change.

This doesn't occur every time but enough to annoy anyone driving it.

Is this normal? I have involved BMW in this from the start and they have now had it at a dealer for a week, the technician said it was in his view unacceptable and raised a case but BMW have said it is within parameters.
I agree with the BMW technician. You'd expect a slight reduction in smoothness when the oil is stone cold. This sounds far more significant.
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".
spacey3

Post by spacey3 »

Ok that I can probably agree with. But the hesitation of the change and kick he didn’t find acceptable. He said as bmw have said nothing can be done. It’s a characteristic of the car. Not sure how to progress.
Moyney76

Post by Moyney76 »

To be honest mine has very very slight hesitation when cold but that goes very quickly, and it’s so slight you hardly notice, and it’s a lot smoother than my old golf gtd was
2021 128 ti Storm Bay,Tech pack,Pro pack,Pan Roof,Live cockpit
E46 M3 Laguna Seca Blue - gone but not forgotten
swissprice

Post by swissprice »

You might want to have a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=136062&start=15

Several other people, including me, experienced the same issue when at roundabouts. BMW installed a new transmission map on my car and it did improve a little bit, but it didn’t solve the issue entirely. I find that, when I need to accelerate again after slowing down, I need to press 10% of the gas for half a second and then I can floor it if needed. If seems like it has to rengage the transmission or something. Now I’m used to it and almost don’t experience this anymore.

My wife says she never experienced this, so it might just be related to my driving style and it’s just supposed to behave this way.
2020 M135i, Mineralgrau, 19'' 557M (Summer) and 18'' 711M (Winter), all options except sunroof and performance pack.
spacey3

Post by spacey3 »

The Cupra was a lot smother, they did install the 'latest' software on it when I first raised the issue but it did nothing. I have had the vehicle returned to me and I do understand what you are saying that if you press down on the gas slightly it comes back and doesn't kick. Humps are another one, but I tell you where it kicks worse!

When you accelerate (whatever the top sport mode) Sport> gear leaver to left and floor it then it kicks changing the gears as it accelerates away.

I'll be in Germany at the weekend, it will be interesting to see how it performs.
S_Len13
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by S_Len13 »

spacey3 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:36 pm The Cupra was a lot smother, they did install the 'latest' software on it when I first raised the issue but it did nothing. I have had the vehicle returned to me and I do understand what you are saying that if you press down on the gas slightly it comes back and doesn't kick. Humps are another one, but I tell you where it kicks worse!

When you accelerate (whatever the top sport mode) Sport> gear leaver to left and floor it then it kicks changing the gears as it accelerates away.

I'll be in Germany at the weekend, it will be interesting to see how it performs.
That kick when changing gear in sport mode and lever to the left is programmed in on purpose. Some like it some don’t. But that isn’t a problem with your gearbox or car
M135i xdrive, mineral grey, pro pack, 552M wheels, heated steering wheel
Zapad
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Zapad »

Yeah the "kick" in sport mode is deliberate, BMW making it feel more sporty.

Its pants.
spacey3

Post by spacey3 »

When you change tyres in the car it asks you to drive away while it attempts to recognise them, however it then fails to recognise them. When I asked the dealer they didn't know what you are supposed to do, and tech BMW didn't know either. Does anyone know? Do you manually set it or do you have to get a dealer to recognise them.
Carlosfandang0
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Carlosfandang0 »

spacey3 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:23 pm When you change tyres in the car it asks you to drive away while it attempts to recognise them, however it then fails to recognise them. When I asked the dealer they didn't know what you are supposed to do, and tech BMW didn't know either. Does anyone know? Do you manually set it or do you have to get a dealer to recognise them.
You’ll need to use the manual option in the tyre settings menu, the auto option needs to be set by the dealer as they scan the QR code on the tyre wall and upload the info to the car, using the manual option just means the car doesn’t know the brand and type of tyre and therefore doesn’t “recognise” them, it’s no problem, it also means you can set the pressures wherever you like and once set you’ll not get low pressure warnings all the time.

Its actually quite worrying from the perspective of anyone that might leave their car with these guys, that the dealership and Techs don’t know this considering that this applies to all recent models of BMW!
Current -
2020 Storm Bay M135i, TechPack, PlusPack [557M], ComfortPack, Panoramic Roof, Load through, Lumbar, Black bits, Carbon bits.

👇See My Car reviewed against the 2021 S3 here👇
—-— https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU —-—
Simon Site Manager
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Simon Site Manager »

I love the way that us guys know more about our cars than Dealerships do. When I picked up my car from new, the salesman said 'I won't explain all the controls to you, as you obviously know more about this car than I do'. :-)
'17 M140i Estoril Blue Most of the toys. Every time I see an F40 it makes me :(
Carbon337

Post by Carbon337 »

Simon Site Manager wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:23 pm I love the way that us guys know more about our cars than Dealerships do. When I picked up my car from new, the salesman said 'I won't explain all the controls to you, as you obviously know more about this car than I do'. :-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Part of the fun is reading hours of facebook and youtube videos to work stuff out. I dont want told by a bloke in a bad suit

Return to “F40 (2019-tbd)”