Baby BMW Forum banner

Colour dilemma

12K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  jedi71 
#1 ·
I've ordered an M240i in Brooklyn Grey with the pro pack and red callipers.

Like everyone else on here I've ordered blind without seeing the car or how it looks in various colours in the flesh.

For those who have ordered Thundernight the internet is full of videos and images from all angles, but there's very few examples of much else.

I know colour is subjective and very much a personal choice but would really like here's some opinions on here. I'm starting to question my choice of BG and If I should switch to Sapphire Black?

Brooklyn Grey: I've seen the colour on another car in the flesh and really like it however as a light colour I'm concerned that it contrasts heavily with the triangular front vents and shinny black side skirts and rear valance. Also, from what I've seen in videos and pics the lighter colour also further highlights the slight awkwardness of the small rear lights.

Sapphire Black: Seems to blend everything in better as far as the above goes but can look a little too blocky taking away all of the above contrasting. Also, as I've gone for the pro pack it removes the cerium grey accents front grill and vents so in black it looks a little bland n murdered out. Black cars are also a nightmare to keep clean and show swirls etc.

Would really appreciate your opinions, here's a couple of videos of each:

See less See more
#2 ·
Both are fairly safe options.

BG looks a bit like clear coat over primer IMO, and SB is black, which is as bad as white to keep clean!

Personally I like blue cars, but I understand not everyone does.

#3 ·
I think it looks good in BG, it would be my second choice if I hadn't gone for Thundernight. I am not convinced by the black on this shape but if I was getting it I would probably spec the Cerium highlights to break it up a bit.

Can you not be tempted to the awesome, retro, Thundernight Purple????

#4 ·
Like you I am having issues with the colour choice , I too ordered Brooklyn grey and have seen it on various other models in the showroom and like it , but having seen it on a 4 series in the wild I wasn't keen .
The choice is pretty poor though that's the issue, I love black in concept but would never own one for the reasons you said .
White looks ok but too bland , I like red but not Melbourne so that would leave me with portamao blue which was my first choice before the car was released but it's on every m sport 3 series or thundernight which I like a lot but the other half hates
so for me it has to be Brooklyn or portamao

#5 ·
Weirdly I had a m135 and hated the cerium bits and swapped them for gloss black before taking delivery.
But there are a few videos of Brooklyn grey cars in the states without the shadow line pack and I think I prefer the contrast ?
Can we order the performance wheel/tyre package without ordering the m240 plus pack in order to not have the gloss black bits ?
I think I need to revisit the configurator

#6 ·
I'd say BG is good if you want the contrasting look with the black trim as it will def highlight them.

Black with pro pack does really nice as it all blends in.
I originally ordered black but have changed to thundernight as my 140 is black and wanted something different.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Just depends if you want contrasting trim or it to all blend into 1.

Couple pics of black with pro pack if you haven't seen these

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks guys, as above I don't mind Thundernight however, my wife also strongly disagrees!

It's a really poor choice we have tbf, why didn't they open up the option for individual colours at launch! 🙄

In terms of adding the cerium grill and accents to SB, this would need to be a dealer retro fit and no doubt be £500+

I really begrudge having to do that and looking at the above blacked out front end I'd definitely need to add the cerium to live with it.

I think I'm still leaning towards BG, I'm just fearful that it will look dull, flat and as many have stated on online a bit like primer.

#8 ·
BG looks a bit like clear coat over primer
This has been my thoughts on BG all along.

#10 ·
Just checked and if you want the performance wheels/tyres etc you can't have the cerium bits at all except as suggested a dealer retrofit
Regarding individual colours I reckon that's definitely going to become available at some stage like the 1 series now .
But I wouldn't pay the money for it to be honest , I feel it's a bit of a con so that won't be a option for me regardless

#11 ·
Not keen on the grey, and the black looks fantastic; but I would never buy a black car again. Wash it, drive down the road and it looks filthy again.

#14 ·
Brooklyn Grey will look really good on UK spec pro pack cars imo with all the contrast going on. I really like it on the new M3 as well.

It is a bit of a "fashion" colour, however Audi have been pushing Nardo for years and it still looks sharp.

For me Portamao is very similar to Avus Blue which has been done to death and is a bit "last year" to be putting on a brand new model. Seems quite popular in the States though.

I am happy with Thundernight, I might even put those bronze/gold Mperf 20's on it at some stage :jawdrop:

#15 ·
Feedback has helped, much appreciated.

Again, colour is subjective and down to personal choice. That said, we've all had to make decisions based mostly on videos & pics which will always leave an element of doubt. Mix that with a considerable lead time and it's easy to start questioning choices!

For me personally I conclude as below:

White = Dull as dishwater

Blue = Too similar to 3 series

Purple = I like, it's a real statement but my wife dislikes

Red = No comment, I don't like red cars! :0)

Black = Looks great, nightmare to keep clean, swirls and too blacked out combined with pro pack which most of us have ticked

Grey: Could look a little washed out & flat in the flesh, will highlight the stubby rear lights although as mentioned a rear lip spoiler helps to even things out.

Based on all the above, I'm leaning towards sticking with BG.

#17 ·
#20 ·
Manc M135i said:
Defo looks sharp in those pics, I guess we just have to hope that come delivery day we're happy with our decisions! 🤞
I'll be happy. I buy a car for driving, colour choice is easy and way down my priority list, I just have something different if possible and if not don't give it much thought after. I liked your summary though.
My gamble was not having driven the Car but reading the reports I'm in no doubt I won't be disappointed.

#21 ·
Love black cars, but as others have said keeping them swirl free and clean is almost impossible. I was torn between the BG and Thundernight with mine and had the same dilemma with my other half not wanting purple despite me telling her to be bold and just go with it. In the end I managed to convince her with a very simple method....I placed the order without telling her and have said it's "locked in" and can't be changed now! :D

#22 ·
gringolian said:
Love black cars, but as others have said keeping them swirl free and clean is almost impossible. I was torn between the BG and Thundernight with mine and had the same dilemma with my other half not wanting purple despite me telling her to be bold and just go with it. In the end I managed to convince her with a very simple method....I placed the order without telling her and have said it's "locked in" and can't be changed now! :D
😂😂😂

#26 ·
I am considering swapping my M135i for a M240i, but I can't find any colors that I like. I really love the mineral grey on my M135i (looks good, easy to keep clean, no easy to spot swirl marks). I think if I do end up getting the M240i, I will order it in BG with the black bits. Too bad we have to order it "blind" if we want it "soon"...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.